Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D TOOLPATH NOT FOLLOWING BOUNDARIES

2 hours ago, DPROCTOR said:

any help is appreciated!

What you are seeing here is the cutter starting on the edge of the surface. As it moves down the surface it has to offset itself in the x-y plane in order for the ballnose to stay tangent to the surface being machined.

Have you got z level control with Surface Finish Parallel  (Not a toolpath I use much)? If so start the cut about half your ball diameter below the top of the surface.

Surface Finish Parallel is normally recommended for surfaces that are relatively flat with little slope.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, content creator said:

For single surfaces, surface finish flowline usually does it.

Ive tried the flowline with no success either, also adjusted my z levels when trying to use the finish parallel toolpath. Not sure if I have bad data or if it's just my lack of exp. I uploaded a picture of how the flowline is looking for me, also attached a file. 

FLOWLINE PATH.PNG

IV BLOCK FL.mcx-9

12 minutes ago, DPROCTOR said:

Ive tried the flowline with no success either, also adjusted my z levels when trying to use the finish parallel toolpath. Not sure if I have bad data or if it's just my lack of exp. I uploaded a picture of how the flowline is looking for me, also attached a file. 

FLOWLINE PATH.PNG

IV BLOCK FL.mcx-9

If you do your stock setup then simulate, you will see it machined correctly, except in the back where you need to add a check surface.

1 hour ago, DPROCTOR said:

That looks better, the tool is starting lower down, if you run it in back plot you should see it start to engage at the top part of the ball rad. 

If the first cut is too heavy move your minimum depth up. I am usually aiming for a very light first cut, or even air just for safety, especially in hard metals You are usually going relatively quick, especially in Al, so not much time lost.

The other thing to play with is the Directions tab which will allow you to control your entries and exits.

• gcode locked and unlocked this topic
  • gcode locked this topic