Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Disappearing tool holders

TERRYH

I programmed a base casting for a trim die and finished it yesterday, I had throughout the process ran it through verify and our machine simulation, and had no issues. I posted everything and printed our setup sheets and tool sheets for the tool room to build and gave it to the CNC dept. when I left yesterday. came in this morning and was waiting on my boss to give me something else to do and opened up the part from yesterday and gave it one last check over just basically killing time while waiting on more work, and I had a tool holder crash in verify, I thought maybe I had not selected a tool holder, but that's second nature select tool, select holder, adjust tool length if needed. so I went out got my paperwork to check and write the correct holder for that tool and had printed the picture with the correct holder.............so not sure why in Mastercam it was correct when I printed it yesterday and had disappeared over night. has anyone else had this happen? I was using 2019 because of issues we've had with 2020.  

Is the holders library on a server shared or on your local workstation? I can make holder disappear all the time when I save the holder library in the operation. It will pick something else and I have to go back and pick the holder. I have found not saving the holder that was created in the session the biggest problem. Did you create a new holder for that program and not save it to the holder or tool library? That would be my thought as to why your running into this. Just because you made a holder doesn't save it to a holder library. Yes kind of odd that you went through all the trouble of creating it, but the software is not saving it or asking you to save it to a holder library. This manual step might be the issue your running into. Like I was mentioning I can save the holder to the library the holder will stay associated to my tool, but almost every time I can save the holder library and loose the holder. I have sent it in to not be duplicated, but I have seen it since holders were introduced. I also copy the tools into my holder library and use the holder tooldb as my tools and not the other way around and that could be your other issue if your picking tools and holder from different places then something might be losing association and creating this issue also. I always try to use one tooldb for every project. If I were in a shop each machine would have their own tooldb with holders and tools define for it. Everyone programming for that machine would share it and not have the issues of the hodge podge inch tools that has 934 different types of holders in it.

All of our holders and tools were created and saved on our network we all use, it was a std tool and holder not a custom created one. I know I selected it because when I printed the tool sheet yesterday it was correct, that's what confused me because if I had not selected one it would have printed out as it appeared this morning as a puck. And we use Varco reports for our tooling build sheets for the tool crib.

44 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

All of our holders and tools were created and saved on our network we all use, it was a std tool and holder not a custom created one. I know I selected it because when I printed the tool sheet yesterday it was correct, that's what confused me because if I had not selected one it would have printed out as it appeared this morning as a puck. And we use Varco reports for our tooling build sheets for the tool crib.

That is an odd one then. Send an email to QC and see if they have any ideas. 

To be honest I think that is a waste of time, when we made the jump to 2020 several months ago we found so many glitches and bugs and contacted our re seller for help and after they could not figure it out they sent it to CNC software, and we never heard back after that. Our re seller has been tons of help but anythng beyond them seems to have went dead.