Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Advanced Drill - Wow. Finally. This is awesome!

Colin Gilchrist

7 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Yeah, I'm really curious to see the new and exciting ways you guys are going to break this one.  This toolpath is really a wide open sandbox once you start to wrap your head around the toys you've been given...

I know just the guy to break Mastercam, I actually sent you guys one of his "Masterpieces" via my reseller IHS, I don't know if you would have seen it, a circle mill toolpath bigger than the moon, anyway this dude breaks everything, I'll have to have him sink his teeth into 2021 when It becomes available.

12 hours ago, c++ said:

I cut honeycomb panels and wood plastics, solid surface etc, so this doesn't benefit me at all!!(Simple Drill No Peck) but I am happy for you guys lol

you might find a use for it one day, cutting plastics specifically  you might benefit from something like what is shown in the video below for your plastics which what is shown below can easily be done with that path. 

or when you are cutting wood to slow your break through down a bit do you dont have a blowout on the bottom of the wood part where the drill breaks through.

10 hours ago, navsENG said:

Interesting, I have never looked into it... Can you post some sample code? 

a custom drill cycle can do anything the post developer wants it to do, so I am not sure what kind of sample code you are after or what you are looking for since different applications require different custom drill cycles. What we are getting at in this topic or post is that a new toolpath is coming that puts this control at your fingertips, so instead of having an understanding of how to build a custom drill cycle in a post, in the next release all of us mastercam users now can build a custom drill cycle (whatever we might want) inside a mastercam toolpath without any need for a post edit or without any need to understand how to edit a post to add a custom drill cycle. 

So basically we have always had the ability to do custom drill cycles in mastercam, but before you either had to really know what you were doing with post edits or pay a post developer to do it for you, starting in 2021 the end user or Mastercam programmer has all of this ability at his fingertips right through a new and and powerful drilling toolpath. 

Its pretty cool all of the applications this will be able to be used for, the sky is the limit!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, navsENG said:

Interesting, I have never looked into it... Can you post some sample code? 

Straight out of Mastercam

G0G17G40G80G90G94G98
G0G28G91Z0.
(1.0014 GUN DRILL TOOL - 3 DIA. OFF. - 51999 LEN. - 51999 DIA. - 1.0014)
(POSITION 1- GUN DRILL THRU BORE Z-7.911)
T59011001M6
T70011004
G90G10L10P#51999R0
G90G10L12P#51999R0
G0G90B270.
G0G54.1P3G90X-1.215Y-2.S50M4
G43H#51999Z1.
Z.1
G1Z-.775F6.
M5
M51(HIGH PRESSURE COOLANT ON)
S2101M3
G04P2000
G1Z-7.911F2.1
M5
G0Z-.775
S50M4
M9(HIGH PRESSURE COOLANT OFF)
G0Z1.
(END GUNDRILL CYCLE)

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I am using Advanced Drill more and more these days. Is it a nice feature but as always, I wish it hadn't been rushed. How do you choose depths quickly? With ordinary drilling you can just push the gray button beside Depth field, however, there is no such button in Advanced Drill and you have to use "Compute distance between two points", which is much slower and error prone. As a workaround I use the "Top of stock" button to get the depth and copy the value into the grid.

Another issue is that I cannot set initial coolant. Coolant kicks in after the drill is already in the material which is not a good thing, and using dwell is also not a good idea, because it increases cycle time. I'd like the coolant to turn on immediately after tool change, as always.

It would also be nice if I could choose "Ignore" for coolant to keep it modal.

23 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

I am using Advanced Drill more and more these days. Is it a nice feature but as always, I wish it hadn't been rushed. How do you choose depths quickly? With ordinary drilling you can just push the gray button beside Depth field, however, there is no such button in Advanced Drill and you have to use "Compute distance between two points", which is much slower and error prone. As a workaround I use the "Top of stock" button to get the depth and copy the value into the grid.

Another issue is that I cannot set initial coolant. Coolant kicks in after the drill is already in the material which is not a good thing, and using dwell is also not a good idea, because it increases cycle time. I'd like the coolant to turn on immediately after tool change, as always.

It would also be nice if I could choose "Ignore" for coolant to keep it modal.

As someone who used to run a machine that took nearly 5 seconds from pump on to coolant spraying, I understand the coolant comment! While coolant is currently confined to segments, what you could do is make a dummy segment high above the hole that turns on coolant as you fast feed down to the hole. You currently can't push the coolant-on any closer to the toolchange, but this workaround would allow you to at least have the machine in motion in Z rather than doing a static dwell while the pump spins up. 

For Ignore for modal coolant, you're referring to modal between successive operations, right? If so, there's an existing Request for that and I can add a +1 to that. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Chally72 said:

As someone who used to run a machine that took nearly 5 seconds from pump on to coolant spraying, I understand the coolant comment! While coolant is currently confined to segments, what you could do is make a dummy segment high above the hole that turns on coolant as you fast feed down to the hole. You currently can't push the coolant-on any closer to the toolchange, but this workaround would allow you to at least have the machine in motion in Z rather than doing a static dwell while the pump spins up. 

For Ignore for modal coolant, you're referring to modal between successive operations, right? If so, there's an existing Request for that and I can add a +1 to that. 

I put a dwell in my post after the coolant on to wait for it to start spraying.  You gatta love old worn out machines.

• Like 3
On 11/17/2021 at 1:48 PM, SlaveCam said:

push the gray button beside Depth field, however, there is no such button in Advanced Drill and you have to use "Compute distance between two points", which is much slower and error prone.

I think you might already know this but you can double-click the Depth value in the drilling segment list and then right-click to bring up menu that gives measuring options such as "Z=Z coordinate of a point" - that takes you back to the graphics screen so you can select a point and feed it back into the depth window.  However you might already be using it as you have used the "compute distance..." option which I suspect you pick from the same menu?

Also you may not be aware that you can actually use commands such and Analyze Entity Properties or Analyze Dynamic now in Mcam 2022 without closing/hiding the toolpath dialog at all - just drag the toolpath window to one side and start using the Analyze commands (you could even copy the values from there rather than the Top of Stock field you have been using).

Apologies if you already knew all of this!

• Like 1
On 11/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Rich Thomas 4D Engineering said:

I think you might already know this but you can double-click the Depth value in the drilling segment list and then right-click to bring up menu that gives measuring options such as "Z=Z coordinate of a point" - that takes you back to the graphics screen so you can select a point and feed it back into the depth window.  However you might already be using it as you have used the "compute distance..." option which I suspect you pick from the same menu?

Z=Z coordinate of a point returns depth relative to construction plane's origin, Top of stock returns depth relative to geometry. Big difference when programming COR (I don't have the luxuries...).

On 11/20/2021 at 8:02 PM, John_B said:

This Advanced Drill toolpath does the trick for back spot facing tools that need coolant retract and spin to deploy. Took a few minutes to get the desired result, but it beats hand coding thats for sure!

Are you using the spotfacer from Granlund? I use Erix Tool's, it's quite reliable and does not require coolant.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:24 PM, SlaveCam said:

Are you using the spotfacer from Granlund? I use Erix Tool's, it's quite reliable and does not require coolant.

No, I had to use a Heule tool due to very specific dimensional requirements on the print that the other brands didn't hit. I'd wager you the part designer had the Heule tool spec in front of them when creating the part.