Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NVME Drive

Born to machine

Hi All,

Would a NVME m.2 drive be ok to install mastercam 2020 on?

We are wanting to build a new Pc and was wondering what everyone else would do to get the most out of 2020..

Thinking ryzen9 12c processor ,32 gig ram, 1tb ssd for saving files to and a quadro P2200 card..

Would this be an all round good combo for fast calculations and good backplotting

Thanks

I put one in my work computer here and the speed of file transfers is definitely very noticeable from just an SSD.

It's best for local files, so if you're doing a lot of transferring to and from a network you most likely won't see anything special.

As for the Ryzen 12c... I don't know how those compare to an Intel that has a really high clock speed. Mastercam likes clock speed. I do know that a high clock speed is faster than a Xeon in Mastercam (and about $1000 cheaper).

I thought CNC said on here a while back they were going to do a comparison when Ryzen first was released,but I don't think they gave the results or even tested it.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Born to machine said:

Hi All,

Would a NVME m.2 drive be ok to install mastercam 2020 on?

We are wanting to build a new Pc and was wondering what everyone else would do to get the most out of 2020..

Thinking ryzen9 12c processor ,32 gig ram, 1tb ssd for saving files to and a quadro P2200 card..

Would this be an all round good combo for fast calculations and good backplotting

Thanks

Yeah its fine. I built my pc and it only has an m.2 nvme drive. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Born to machine said:

What exacly do you mean by this statement?

Thanks

For example the i7 7700k has a clock speed of 4.2GHz, while the Ryzen has a 3.5GHz speed (approximate).

And since Mastercam doesn't utilize multiple cores all that well the fastest single core CPU will be your best option. At least until/if they ever fix that.

If we were doing video editing, 3D animation then Xeon and Ryzen would be far ahead.

1 hour ago, jeff said:

For example the i7 7700k has a clock speed of 4.2GHz, while the Ryzen has a 3.5GHz speed (approximate).

And since Mastercam doesn't utilize multiple cores all that well the fastest single core CPU will be your best option. At least until/if they ever fix that.

If we were doing video editing, 3D animation then Xeon and Ryzen would be far ahead.

Mastercam uses multiple cores, i dont know why people still think this. 

Today we have more toolpaths that use multiple core processing than those that do not.

Anything with Dynamic in its name does, 

Peel,

Blend,

all the surface high speed paths do,

Stock models, 

Multi-axis paths, etc.

There is not much in mastercam that is not multi-core processing with the current version.

5 minutes ago, JoshC said:

Mastercam uses multiple cores, i dont know why people still think this. 

Today we have more toolpaths that use multiple core processing than those that do not.

Anything with Dynamic in its name does, 

Peel,

Blend,

all the surface high speed paths do,

Stock models, 

Multi-axis paths, etc.

There is not much in mastercam that is not multi-core processing with the current version.

to add to that, if you see the icon shown in the image below (a green Spool of thread) when regenerating a toolpath, you are using multiple core processing

Icon.jpg

you will also see it show up in the multi-threading manager (alt+m)

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:42 AM, jeff said:

As for the Ryzen 12c... I don't know how those compare to an Intel that has a really high clock speed. Mastercam likes clock speed. I do know that a high clock speed is faster than a Xeon in Mastercam (and about $1000 cheaper).

I thought CNC said on here a while back they were going to do a comparison when Ryzen first was released,but I don't think they gave the results or even tested it.

I don't know anyone who has tested a  Ryzen with Mastercam

I try to buy a new machine  every three years or so and given the cost of the machine

and the price paid for a failed experiment, someone with deeper pockets than me is going to have to step up and be the guinea pig

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, gcode said:

I don't know anyone who has tested a  Ryzen with Mastercam

I try to buy a new machine  every three years or so and given the cost of the machine

and the price paid for a failed experiment, someone with deeper pockets than me is going to have to step up and be the guinea pig

I just bought a Ryzen 7 pc a few months ago for my Home computer, i only have the HLE on it and i dont run mastercam a ton there (mostly just play and mess around in mastercam hle on that pc or experiment with files that people post on here with it) but i can tell you it doesn't have any delay or problems. So far i am happy with the build.

The one i am running is a Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6GHZ (4.4 ghz turbo) with a Nvidia 2060 Super gfx card and i have not had any problems. If anyone wants me to run a Benchmark or put something to the test i can do that when i get home tonight if you want to see the numbers but I am fairly confident this will compete or be as fast as an Intel card of the same price point.

so from my experience I dont mind the Ryzen processors, the one in my home pc build is doing great so far and i have not had any problems at all but i have not tried any benchmarks or anythign like that on it to see how it would stack up against an intel card, I do think the Ryzen processors might save someone a few bucks over an equivalent performance intel processor.

what is really interesting to me is the people running Mac pc's, a guy here runs a Mac and says its very fast, also i have heard from many others in the past on how fast the Mac' pcs perform with mastercam. Its very interesting to me and i am not a mac guy but apparently there are many people in the world running mastercam on a Mac and those that i have spoken to say macbook pros run mastercam amazingly fast. At a training i attended i put my laptop a dell workstation that was probably the same price point as the mac (think like 4,000$ laptop and he was on probably a similar priced MacBook pro and he beat my processing of some complex toolpaths by abut 200%, he was done in half the time. Not sure if everyone has those results on Macbooks and I have never been a mac user but its interesting to see these kind of results on a sytstem that technically is not supported. But you have to run in Bootcamp i hear, Bootcamp i guess is the best way to do it on a Mac i hear from the mac user here since some other windows emulators or parallels dont work as well as apples bootcamp.

22 minutes ago, Tinger said:

Considering that we have yet to see a ryzen build in the benchmark thread, i'm surprised that the verdict of Intel being faster has been decided. 

Ill run the benchmark 3.0 tonight in the HLE when i get to my home pc with Ryzen processor and will let you know the results if people are curious. its a just a 1300$ desktop W/  Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6GHZ (4.4 ghz turbo) with a Nvidia 2060 Super gfx card build that i got on Cyberpowerpc

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tinger said:

Considering that we have yet to see a ryzen build in the benchmark thread, i'm surprised that the verdict of Intel being faster has been decided. 

I don't think anyone I know of has ever said that. The issue has always been the math processor and the Intel's ability to handle this better in the past. Today I couldn't tell you if that is the case, but with parts that can cost upwards of $10 million I am working on not something I am even going to risk trying.

3 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I don't think anyone I know of has ever said that. The issue has always been the math processor and the Intel's ability to handle this better in the past. Today I couldn't tell you if that is the case, but with parts that can cost upwards of $10 million I am working on not something I am even going to risk trying.

I totally agree with not testing out new processor on a 10 million dollar part. I figured it could be run on a benchmark instead. And true Intel has handled this better in the past, but this is 1st time in 10 years AMD has had a competitive product.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:40 PM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

How many threads will 2020 use at once for a single dynamic operation or stock model?

That's a "how many trees are in a forest?" kinda question... 

This comes up a lot because it's a confusing topic, but basically, multithreading will help you when you have either a lot of toolpaths to process at once or when your single toolpath can be broken up into logical pockets to be calculated simultaneously.  If you're doing simple parts that primarily consist of one area, you're not going to see much benefit from multithreading.

For a really quick and dirty example, using an Opti toolpath to rough this pocket:

image.png.ae60fc611269f5dd5289789628cfb84a.png

can't be effectively multithreaded because it's all one "slice," and you can't really figure out what how to cut one area without affecting another, so it all has to be processed as one chunk.

In this case, clock speed is king.

If the part looked like this:

image.png.9d94c6b325af82524664f7fd7ca14f54.png

The top slice would be one thread, and all of the individual pockets/depths would be an individual thread.    So that would (potentially) benefit from more threads :)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

That's a "how many trees are in a forest?" kinda question... 

This comes up a lot because it's a confusing topic, but basically, multithreading will help you when you have either a lot of toolpaths to process at once or when your single toolpath can be broken up into logical pockets to be calculated simultaneously.  If you're doing simple parts that primarily consist of one area, you're not going to see much benefit from multithreading.

For a really quick and dirty example, using an Opti toolpath to rough this pocket:image.png.ae60fc611269f5dd5289789628cfb84a.png won't be effectively multithreaded because it's all one "slice," and you can't efficiently figure out what how to cut one area with affecting another, so it all has to be processed as one chunk.

In this case, clock speed is king.

IF the part looked like this:

image.png.9d94c6b325af82524664f7fd7ca14f54.png

The top slice would be one thread, and all of the individual pockets/depths would be an individual thread.    So that would (potentially) benefit from more threads :)

Have a 42k feature part this should come in real handy on. 🤔 🤐

• Haha 2