Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DEBUGGING HELP

Mazakdude

We never got all of our posts perfectly streamlined so we do a lot of manual editing. We had a guy who knew Mastercam inside and out. Probably could have been a developer. He is no longer with us. Not dead just moved on, but he took his secrets with him. He had enough smarts that he messed around with machine and control definitions as well as the Post Debugging in order to get his programs to post nearly perfect. Little things like the difference between a soft and hard lock on our horizontal machines, or custom drilling cycles all the way up to big things like initial positioning and transitional moves in multi-axis cuts on our trunnion machines.  Is there a resource, written or otherwise, that could help me learn this magic?

The post debugger will either give you the post line number for each block (F7) or give you a post line for each variable on each block (F5) but if you don't know how the post operates or how to edit what you need then the debugger will do you little good. Depending on your answer you will have what you need or may want to call your reseller to see if they have a post class and/or have them fix your post as needed.

You can also search this site for answers or post questions in the post forum.

I have a rudimentary understanding of post editing at best. Mostly finding what lines of code cause certain outputs in other posts and copying them into a different one and trying it out. I asked about resources because our reseller is not very helpful when it comes to things like that or anything more than basic questions for that matter. I always get the "hmm, I'll need to look at that a bit. Send it to me in a zip2go." I'd like something like a book or manual that I could reference and make notes in and learn as needed. This is mostly a personal want rather than a need. I've been manually editing posted nc files for over twenty years no reason I can't continue.   For example:

Post output: ( 3/8 FLAT ENDMILL|TOOL - 31|DIA. OFF. - 31|LEN. - 31| DIA. - .375)

desired output: (T31| 3/8 FLAT ENDMILL)

This happens at toolchanges. In the "General Output Settings" section of the post where tool_info is defined I have choices of 

#0 = Off - Do not output any tool comments or tooltable
                     #1 = Tool comments only
                     #2 = Tooltable in header - no tool comments at T/C
                     #3 = Tooltable in header - with tool comments at T/C

A 3 gives me all the stuff, anything else gives me nothing at all. No comment at all. It's little things like this that I'd like to be able to fix.