Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Computer specs for running mastercam

3DGee

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, JoshC said:

that graphics card there cost more than my entire pc lol

Might be worth it

I've got an RTX4000 in my home rig and a Quadro 4000 at work.

There is a night and day difference with MC verify and machine sim between home and work

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, JoshC said:

that graphics card there cost more than my entire pc lol

Well that System is half the cost of my last System. :scooter:My Laptop is Running a RTX5000 Card and I have 128GB of memory. I put my own Samsung 970 Pro M2 1TB drives in it. Compared to the system I had before it night and day difference. Longer it takes me to get my work done because of a slow computer the less work I am going to get. 

• Like 1

GCode or whoever else may know. Is it imperative to use a Quadro card? Or could I use something like an RTX 2060 or 2070 Super? I will be building a new workstation soon and the graphics card is the only thing I am debating on mainly because I can get the RTX 2060/2070 Super for $400-550 where the RTX4000 is $875.  Im running Mastercam 2019. Mainly simple 3 axis mill and 2 axis lathe. But about once a week I have to program 5 axis for several turbine blisks. Verify and Machine Sim are really slow on my current machine running a i7-6700, 16gb ram, and a Quadro k1200. 

I know the Solidworks really likes Quadros but this workstation is going to be for Mastercam only. 

The specs will be:

i9-10900k (overclocked as high as I can get it and still be stable)

NZXT Kraken X63 AIO cooler

Gigabyte Z490 UD

4x16gb of GSkill 3600 ram

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 SSD

2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200rpm HDD in RAID 1

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w

If a gaming graphics card will work just fine then I might just use my current Quadro K1200 until the RTX3000 series cards come out. 

17 hours ago, ksbranch said:

GCode or whoever else may know. Is it imperative to use a Quadro card? Or could I use something like an RTX 2060 or 2070 Super? I will be building a new workstation soon and the graphics card is the only thing I am debating on mainly because I can get the RTX 2060/2070 Super for $400-550 where the RTX4000 is $875.  Im running Mastercam 2019. Mainly simple 3 axis mill and 2 axis lathe. But about once a week I have to program 5 axis for several turbine blisks. Verify and Machine Sim are really slow on my current machine running a i7-6700, 16gb ram, and a Quadro k1200. 

Not 100% imperative, but you will definitely see the difference.

I had a GTX1080 in my last system,swapped it for my current Quadro and noticed a difference immediately.

My advice, get the Quadro. It's only $500 more. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:27 AM, jeff said:

Not 100% imperative, but you will definitely see the difference.

I had a GTX1080 in my last system,swapped it for my current Quadro and noticed a difference immediately.

My advice, get the Quadro. It's only $500 more. 

you and I have been debating Quadro vrs GeForce for years.

I see you have finally seen the light  :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, gcode said:

you and I have been debating Quadro vrs GeForce for years.

I see you have finally seen the light  :thumbup:

HAH! It's because one of our customers was sending us some pretty big assemblies,the Quadro handles them much better.

The top end gaming card is still really good for Mastercam though, for a lot of stuff.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't waste your money with a super high core CPU. We tried a Ryzen 64 core ( $4500 'ish) for about a month and it didn't help at all. After a month dealing with trying to understand why it wasn't really any faster we found out Mastercam is only programmed to use 1 core !!! Can you believe it ?  Mastercam is still in the stone ages as far as how it's programmed.
What Mastercam needs right now is CPU, memory & storage SPEEEEED !  Follow the other suggestions above and you should be as good as it can get until CNC Software improves the code. What would be nice is to have all toolpath go to multi-thread and each multi-thread toolpath would use it's own core until all the cores are used then start doubling or tripling up. Mastercam would be unstoppable at that point ! Just my 2¢.

23 minutes ago, Zbuilder said:

After a month dealing with trying to understand why it wasn't really any faster we found out Mastercam is only programmed to use 1 core !!!

Depends on what you're doing with it; some tasks it will use a handful of cores, but I would say that anything more than eight cores is a waste, and I would take four or six faster cores over eight slower ones.  It mostly boils down to the algorithms; they need to be calculated sequentially, and there's nothing the programmer can do about it.

25 minutes ago, Zbuilder said:

Don't waste your money with a super high core CPU. We tried a Ryzen 64 core ( $4500 'ish) for about a month and it didn't help at all. After a month dealing with trying to understand why it wasn't really any faster we found out Mastercam is only programmed to use 1 core !!! Can you believe it ?  Mastercam is still in the stone ages as far as how it's programmed.
What Mastercam needs right now is CPU, memory & storage SPEEEEED !  Follow the other suggestions above and you should be as good as it can get until CNC Software improves the code. What would be nice is to have all toolpath go to multi-thread and each multi-thread toolpath would use it's own core until all the cores are used then start doubling or tripling up. Mastercam would be unstoppable at that point ! Just my 2¢.

With Mastercam look at the single thread CPU chart for performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

On 8/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, #Rekd™ said:

The Lenovo P73 was also looking like a decent deal if anyone is looking for a workstation laptop.

Sounds good! We are actually looking at this machine as a replacement to our large old gaming computers from 2013 with i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD, GeForce 780Ti.

Let's hope the performance will be as good as I hope for! =)

4 hours ago, R-Miller said:

Sounds good! We are actually looking at this machine as a replacement to our large old gaming computers from 2013 with i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD, GeForce 780Ti.

Let's hope the performance will be as good as I hope for! 😃

Make sure you review the single thread CPU chart for laptops and select a decent CPU, I would get a minimum of 64GB of RAM. Get an Nvidia RTX 4000 video card.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html