Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CAMplete TurnMill

MIL-TFP-41

11 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Just reaching out to see if anyone has used this. I have used Truepath with great results for our Matsuura's, but all I have seen with the TurnMill is some pretty impressive looking demo's. That being said, a demo is a demo & not necessarily what one see's in the real world.

Any opinions?

It is a good product, but you have to know you don't program Mastercam like you do for any other Lathe or Mill/Turn. You must use World = Z and depending on the machine builder you don't deal with CAMplete directly you deal with Multiaxis. They don't support the Mastercam PICO process and you import your operations directly into CAMPlete to use their SYNC code process at the operation Level. Then you create NC code from that using the NC format and Template for your machine. Then from there you import the PICO process at the NC level and can also fine tune SYNC codes.

Understating the Datum process is extremely important.

Building your Chucks, Jaws, Holders and Tools take a little getting use to. They prefer you use Solidworks to build all of them saving your files using the .wrl extension. I don't have Solidworkds and I found using STL models is better than IGES for this process.

• Like 1

I'll preface this by saying I could be wrong but I reached out to Camplete last October looking for a Mill/Turn  for an Integrex...

I was told that their Mill/Turn module was license to Nakamura and not available for other machines....

I'll have to dig back through my emails

:Edit:  The gist of that email

Sadly it appears that machine is a multi-tasking/turning machine. Our 5-Axis software, CAMplete TruePath, would be unable to support this machine and it instead would require CAMplete TurnMill.

At this time Turnmill is dedicated exclusively to the Nakamura-Tome line of machines, so we would be unable to support this Mazak. Sorry we are unable to help you with this. Please don’t hesitate to reach out once you guys add a 5-Axis machine.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

One other thing is you deal with NCI out of Mastercam not NC code so you don't need a post CAMplete does the posting for you. What machine are you looking at getting this for if you don't mind me asking?

I doubt it will happen, but a NTY3-250

Most likely we will get another Mori NZX (2 turret)

It is a shame Mastercam MillTurn doesn't support 3 streams (at least to my knowledge)....which was one of the thoughts on looking at the Nak. Camplete would solve that part of the equation.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

It is a shame Mastercam MillTurn doesn't support 3 streams (at least to my knowledge)....which was one of the thoughts on looking at the Nak. Camplete would solve that part of the equation.

I have programmed many NTY3 machines using Mastercam , but I don't use MT I use Standard Lathe with Mill. I also have developed my own method for controlling turret programming. I use LLT for Left Lower Turret, LUT for Left Upper Turret, RUT for Right Upper Turret and RLT for Right Lower Turret. I program by operation and maybe have 30 to 60 groups divided like that, but when I am done I can take everything done on the Left side and work from there and everything done on the Right side and work from there.

image.png.f09aa8180573e17e631c283a13f29a80.png

I am using a Postability Post that has all the JUMP programming for these machines, Remnants and other things needed for the NTY3 machines that other machines don't currently have for support triple turrets, but that is not using CAMplete that is going out and by eye proving out code. CAMplete allows you to see all the collisions and other things before it ever gets to the machine. Once you have built your base machine with all the holders, tools and such then it gets easier from there. Make templates for families of parts and use that template for bringing in the parts and now the CAMplete process becomes faster. I have a lot experience on these machines, but still make mistakes and run into issues.  

SYNC codes are completely different for NTY3 also since you have MXXX P123 and that means you are syncing all 3 turrets at the same time with that wait code. You might need to do a MXXX P13 with means Upper Left and Upper Right or a MXXX P12 which means Upper Left and Lower then you might have a MXXX P23 which is Lower and Upper Right. Biggest thing is balancing the work and tooling along all 3 turrets and keeping as much dead time as possible on each side. Some parts there is just no way around it and it is what it is, but that is part of the process programming these machines. 

Your company wants to be competitive then go with the 3 turret machine and don't look back. EuroTechs are good machines as well and though they don't have all the same control options the Nakamura does they are Fanuc Controls with a lot of bells and whistles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Our local Okuma dealer here has an Okuma LT3000 3T3MY in stock that they keep asking if we would be interested because we have a 2TMY. My guess is at this point you could get it for a good deal. Wouldn't change your issue with programming though. We use TopSolid to program ours. I know they can also handle the three turret version as well.

Turn-Mill is a great product. Steeper on the learning curve than TruePath, but only because of the complexity of the machines involved. But, if you think of it in the same terms as actually setting up a physical machine, you don't go through anything different. You're attaching tooling blocks to the turret positins, attaching tooling to the tooling blocks, assigning inserts, collets, etc...

CAMplete TurnMill will however verify external g-code unlike CAMplete TruePath which will not.

I always liked the product. I wish it were avalible for more machines. Perhaps someday. 

• Like 1