Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lathe boring bar insert orientation

cherokeechief79

I know ive done this before but for the life of me io could not figure it out tonite while trying to teach students.

we have a concave circle we are cutting into a 4 inch ps of aluminum.it is going to be a captain americas shield for one students project.

we have a boring bar with a 35 deg insert that points almost directly forward giving up plenty of room to bore the radius to the center.

I picked a boring bar and used a 35 deg in mc but I want to rotate the inset so it points forward.how do I do this?

6 minutes ago, cherokeechief79 said:

I know ive done this before but for the life of me io could not figure it out tonite while trying to teach students.

we have a concave circle we are cutting into a 4 inch ps of aluminum.it is going to be a captain americas shield for one students project.

we have a boring bar with a 35 deg insert that points almost directly forward giving up plenty of room to bore the radius to the center.

I picked a boring bar and used a 35 deg in mc but I want to rotate the inset so it points forward.how do I do this?

Save the tool to a level move like you want then pick that level to define the tool. You will have to re pick the center and pick the correct orientation.

24 minutes ago, cherokeechief79 said:

I thought I was able to do it in the parameters somewhere.ill try that way though.

is there a bar somewhere in the 2020 standard library that has the orientation close to what I want?

should I use rough for a cycle and change it to cutting down?

Not sure since I am not really sure what you are trying to accomplish. What I suggested give you the freedom to do what your asking for.

4 hours ago, cherokeechief79 said:

I thought I was able to do it in the parameters somewhere.ill try that way though.

is there a bar somewhere in the 2020 standard library that has the orientation close to what I want?

should I use rough for a cycle and change it to cutting down?

Do you have a file to share?

You can orient however you want on the tool set-up page. There's neutral OD holders in the standard tool library, change the insert to a VNMG if required and change the tool angle. Check the Define Tool parameters tab to make sure the compensation and tool clearances don't do anything funky (mostly on grooving tools).

t.PNG

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:25 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Save the tool to a level move like you want then pick that level to define the tool. You will have to re pick the center and pick the correct orientation.

ive never done this.could you link me up to somewhere that shows how to do this?i looked all around on the page I define the tool on but do not know how to save the geometry.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:33 PM, cherokeechief79 said:

ive never done this.could you link me up to somewhere that shows how to do this?i looked all around on the page I define the tool on but do not know how to save the geometry.

Go to the lathe ribbon and then to the lathe tools for the tool close to what your looking for. Then right click on the tool and save geometry to level. Then you make a custom tool using that level and get the direction and other things correct and should be good to go. The help is good about this.