Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Siemens control tilted tool plane

We have a old Zimmerman gantry mill here that we retrofit about 5 years ago.

For political reasons I was not involved in the retrofit and have not been involved in programming it.

Now I am involved, but I'm completely clueless where Siemens controls are concerned.

It has a modern Siemens control. I do not know the model # yet or what options were purchased.

I'm working on getting that information.

Out post is a vintage V8 5X post purchased from out dealer nearly 20 years ago.

It is so obsolete that our dealer refused to include it in out Post Maintenance package last year.

It supports 5X drill cycles and the machine runs them correctly

All tilted planes are point to point, even planes parallels to the X and Y axis.

What is the Siemens equivalent of a Fanuc G68.2 titled tool plane and is there an easy

way to see if the control supports them

CYCLE800 and you have 2 options you can post it from a common WCS and all the values will be output from that common WCS or you can do local WCS to each feature and the CYCLE800 will have the local coordinates of each WCS put into the CYCLE800 and then all the X,Y,Z values will be relative from there. Problem with most Fanuc's using G68.2 is the builders don't set them up correctly to do the transform of the local coordinate system when programmed this way. Not sure why Siemens seems to handle it so much better, but on this one point I don't fight with the control on it. With Fanuc it is seems to be a constant fight with customers when trying to program parts that way. Being the control is that new I would think however you decided you want to handle it you will be able to. I have seen just the TROARI process where CYCLE800 was not implemented and they programmed everything from one WCS and all the tilted planes were not output and all canned cycles were point to point. With CYCLE800 it is just like G68.2 where all standard canned cycles work like they should in the tilted planes if that was also a concern. Call me if you want to go over this. 

• Like 2

This machine and our 20 year old post support 5X drilling, but I don't see any switches or misc integers in the post that would enable CYCLE800

The control has a button labeled Machine Cycles, that opens up a list of CYCLE*** files.

CYCLE800 was not there, but that doesn't necessarily mean the machine doesn't support CYLE800. 

1 hour ago, gcode said:

This machine and our 20 year old post support 5X drilling, but I don't see any switches or misc integers in the post that would enable CYCLE800

The control has a button labeled Machine Cycles, that opens up a list of CYCLE*** files.

CYCLE800 was not there, but that doesn't necessarily mean the machine doesn't support CYLE800. 

Your going to need a new post from your favorite post company to support CYCLE800. That post never had the logic built into to support it. 

• Like 1