Sign in to follow this  
Programinator

Transition moves on dynamic toolpath

I have been getting this quite a bit.  the 1st pic is a 65% stepover and it gives me those weird transition moves.  The second pic is a 50 percent stepover and it works like ti should.  why?

2020-02-12 12_25_12-Window.jpg

2020-02-12 12_30_42-Window.jpg

It probably calculates it as faster . Do you have a boundary?

12 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

It probably calculates it as faster . Do you have a boundary?

No boundary.  Just machining regions and air regions

What do you have for your gap motion setting?

Annotation 2020-02-12 151106.jpg

21 hours ago, jeff said:

I had it set to never

22 hours ago, jeff said:

Annotation 2020-02-12 151106.jpg

I've never really understood this, especially with 3d toolpaths. I have had to go into the gap settings and put some "huge value" in order to force the tool to stay down...

Even if I have redrawn wire and created a surface and then chose that surface, some times the tool doesn't want to stay down. Drives me nuts.... Sorry didnt mean to hijack.

3 hours ago, pro grammer said:

I would say that the big question is why didn't you radius those sharp corners?

I ended up doing that later.  But not really needed just for a fixture.  Either way the tool path should not come out with that weird transition move. 

21 hours ago, Programinator said:

I had it set to never

Did you change it?

On 2/14/2020 at 12:31 PM, jeff said:

Did you change it?

No I didn't.  I just moved on.  I just changed the step over which fixed it.  I realize changing the gap motion would fix it too.  I just was wondering why with the settings I originally had, which usually work in similar situations, didn't in this one.  This tool path usually works flawless with these settings but recently I have randomly seen this gap motion.  It has 2 air regions on single solid.  Maybe that has to do with it idk.  I should go back and test it a little more when I have time. 

Add an avoid region on the right side the radius distance offset from the edge.  This should prevent it from "breaking through and attacking the remaining material from the far side making sure it breaks through from the material side.

Thanks for sharing this. I was able to duplicate the odd microlift move in a similar part.  I logged this as R-22490.

17 minutes ago, billb said:

Thanks for sharing this. I was able to duplicate the odd microlift move in a similar part.  I logged this as R-22490.

Nice,  I have not seen it a lot,  but it does happen now and again.  I have not tried to troubleshoot it or try to duplicate it either so im happy you were able to log it.

2020-02-17 09_33_07-C__Users_Shawn_Dropbox_Finished Programs_2604SA_ALL PARTS_2604SA_ALL PARTS_MILL..jpg

2020-02-17 09_34_17-C__Users_Shawn_Dropbox_Finished Programs_2604SA_ALL PARTS_2604SA_ALL PARTS_MILL..jpg

2020-02-17 09_35_20-C__Users_Shawn_Dropbox_Finished Programs_2604SA_ALL PARTS_2604SA_ALL PARTS_MILL..jpg