Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Transform toolpath in random locations

Programinator

9 minutes ago, Programinator said:

I need to transform this toolpath to the other locations on part.  I know how to do it making a transform of a transform but i was wondering if it is possible with just 1 transform toolpath?

2020-02-17 10_47_37-D__Users_Shawn_Desktop_Forbes files_Gleason DISTECH_FD01SA67D26_FD01SA67D26.mcam.jpg

No I would do that would 2 transforms, but ghost the 1st transform in the 2nd transform. Next question will be tool handling and order that is where is gets tricky. It has been years since I needed to do this, but if memory serves me correct I would do tool groups and do the transform in those tool groups for each tool. The other option is a sub program method and call it a day.

29 minutes ago, Programinator said:

Thats what i figured.  I have been doing it like this for years.  I just thought that there was some kind of better way.  like a multiple point selection or something.  Seems like that should be an option in the software but i guess not.

It is a good idea to have a point placement process in transform that would allow you to not only use points, but angles as well. Like a universal transform option that gives you the ability to not only pick points at random places, but also random faces. Transform on Steroids. I could envision a dynamic placement process using the Transform Dynamic we have integrated into the Toolpath-Transform. I think all the tools needed to support this are in place in the software it just has to become a priority for the developers to make it happen. Heard plenty of talk over the years how Gibbs has a superior process for handling this so hopefully the Mastercam of Cam and work on something like this to make this process not so cumbersome and labor involved.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, Neurosis said:

I requested that functionality years ago.  Cimatron was able to do this back in the 90's.  A couple of other software titles I've used have that ability as well.  Not sure why MC is so limited when it comes to transform operations. 

If you could link your request we could all +1 it on the forum.

2 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

There was no official forum back when I originally requested it.  That was back in 2009ish.

Okay, it seems like a good idea, although I do not trust transform because I have seen in incorrectly translate surfacing toolpaths, it handles most things quite well.

Just so you guys are aware I believe you can do this with a custom post change, I dont recall who i was working with on who they ordered it through but i believe it was In-house solutions or postability that a customer of ours purchased this functilality through.

Basically how it worked is they set it up as a custom drill cycle, so basically you do a drill cycle, pick the locations of where the sub program needs to go, then in the drill cycle you select a Sub Program call as the drill cycle (again a custom post change needs to be purchased through a post dev that knows what they are doing like postability and inhouse solutiomns) and from there the drill toolpath basically was the sub program call that told mastercam the locations.

So i believe it was as easy as doing a toolpath on the first feature, then doing a drill toolpath, picking where to move that toolpath too, then a misc value was turned on to get it to properly output the original toolpath as a sub program and the drill toolpath just called that sub program into the locations.

If you really want this feature, i think it is possible if you get with a post dev that knows sub programs and understands your request and it would likely be done similar to what i described above in mastercam. I dont know enough about posts to tell you how to do it but a professional post team can probably get it done for you. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, JoshC said:

Just so you guys are aware I believe you can do this with a custom post change, I dont recall who i was working with on who they ordered it through but i believe it was In-house solutions or postability that a customer of ours purchased this functilality through.

Basically how it worked is they set it up as a custom drill cycle, so basically you do a drill cycle, pick the locations of where the sub program needs to go, then in the drill cycle you select a Sub Program call as the drill cycle (again a custom post change needs to be purchased through a post dev that knows what they are doing like postability and inhouse solutiomns) and from there the drill toolpath basically was the sub program call that told mastercam the locations.

So i believe it was as easy as doing a toolpath on the first feature, then doing a drill toolpath, picking where to move that toolpath too, then a misc value was turned on to get it to properly output the original toolpath as a sub program and the drill toolpath just called that sub program into the locations.

If you really want this feature, i think it is possible if you get with a post dev that knows sub programs and understands your request and it would likely be done similar to what i described above in mastercam. I dont know enough about posts to tell you how to do it but a professional post team can probably get it done for you. 

Postability and In-House both have something that I have seen using this method. With a CAV program this is a viable option without it then you're in for a lot of work in my humble opinion.

• Thanks 1