Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Keeping level manager always visible?

danatoem

So I am using 2019 and I like to be able to have my layer level always visible as I am using 2 screens. What currently happens is when I go to drafting or surface creation I loose the level manager to the drafting or surfacing and have to exit out before I see my level display again? Is there a way of doing this?

I am thinking you have the levels manger parked in the same manager as the Toolpaths and/or Solids manager. They are 3 tabs at the bottom of your manager which means they are parked together. I have the levels manager separated off by itself without any other tab in the same group of tabs. My Operations manager disappears all the time doing functions, but not my levels or my planes manager because they are separated from each other to have 3 dialogs separated between the 3 screene with my middle screen being just the Mastercam screen itself.

2 hours ago, Leon82 said:

I keep solids and toolpaths on the left and levels on the right. Perhaps one-day we will get 2 monitors

I have used 2 monitors with Mastercam going back to X3. The company wouldn't buy them so I did. I still have those 2 monitors in my garage after all these years and they work and still look decent. I now use 3 and thankful to have them.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I have used 2 monitors with Mastercam going back to X3. The company wouldn't buy them so I did. I still have those 2 monitors in my garage after all these years and they work and still look decent. I now use 3 and thankful to have them.

Wondering what your screen set up looks like? I am in the same boat I've purchased my own monitors myself, but currently only have 2. Is third screen Just for email and emastercam, or is it all for mastercam?

1 hour ago, xycnc said:

Wondering what your screen set up looks like? I am in the same boat I've purchased my own monitors myself, but currently only have 2. Is third screen Just for email and emastercam, or is it all for mastercam?

3rd Screen has the planes manager, Verify and Machinesim. I will throw PDF, Emastercam Forum, email on it.

3 hours ago, Programinator said:

I use 3 screens too.  When I decided to go with a 3rd screen I was kind of thinking it was overkill but now I NEED it!  I'm actually thinking about a 4th hahah

Your brain just seems to adapt to it. Nice to have what I need visible without having to click through a bunch a tabs to see it. I use CAV this way and other programs that have dialog windows to keep it like I need it.

21 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Your brain just seems to adapt to it. Nice to have what I need visible without having to click through a bunch a tabs to see it. I use CAV this way and other programs that have dialog windows to keep it like I need it.

1 ultra wide is better than 2 standard monitors in my opinion! I absolutley love my ultrawide, 1 ultra wide is also probably 2x the cost of the two standard monitors together so its more expensive but i absolutley love ultrawide monitors with mastercam, or for anything i am doing on my pc for that matter. Its nice to either make mastercam huge and cover the entire monitor, then i dont need to remove any managers from the interface and can still see everything very clearly. 
If anyone about to buy 2x standard monitors i highly suggest to instead look into at a single ultra wide instead. 

I have used dual monitors for years, i still do, but now i have a single ultra wide and also a standard sized one sitting next to this ultra wide and as i already mentioned i would take the single ultra wide over 2 standard sized monitors any day of the week. Plus your apps can go full screen and not have a split in the middle, or i can shrink an app to half my screen and open something else on the other side with (win+Left arrow or win+right arrow). 

thats my opinion on this topic, for what its worth at least. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cncappsjames said:

This is my setup at the office.

20200219_110958.jpg

whats that little yellow robot thingy back there? Is that like a small version of a fanuc robot? is it just a toy or does it really work? Looks interesting, i hope its a real one that you can program to do stuff like stir your coffee, etc. haha

if i walked by someones office and seen a fanuc robot stirring someones coffee or doing some simple task it would be a great sight to see. makes me want one!

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, JoshC said:

whats that little yellow robot thingy back there? Is that like a small version of a fanuc robot? is it just a toy or does it really work? Looks interesting, i hope its a real one that you can program to do stuff like stir your coffee, etc. haha

if i walked by someones office and seen a fanuc robot stirring someones coffee or doing some simple task it would be a great sight to see. makes me want one!

It's a small version of an R-2000iB Robot. It is just a toy. I wish it were real, though I do have real robots here I can play with so I'm not too bad off. LOL

• Like 2
On 2/19/2020 at 2:12 PM, cncappsjames said:

This is my setup at the office.

20200219_110958.jpg

Awesome setup.  Cable management could be better and the fact that the dell monitor does not match the others would drive me nuts.  But that's just me being picky.  i have to have everything line up.  My 3rd monitor does not match the other 2 but i don't have it setup like yours so it doesn't bother me.  I have it below the others.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:18 AM, Programinator said:

Awesome setup.  Cable management could be better and the fact that the dell monitor does not match the others would drive me nuts.  But that's just me being picky.  i have to have everything line up.  My 3rd monitor does not match the other 2 but i don't have it setup like yours so it doesn't bother me.  I have it below the others.

@Programinator Cabling could definitely be cleaner. I recently moved my docking station from the left side to the right side because the docking station is malfunctioning intermittently (hence the caliper box sitting underneath it), so I have not put the wire loom back yet. I need to still re-route a few other cables first. I was in a hurry. When I finish my current project, I'll square it away. Most likely Wednesday. We shall see if the temporary fix needs a more permament fix. It has been working with no more issues so... 

The different monitor... yeah, It's not perfect, but it's a completely functional monitor and I only use it for e-mail and drawings so it is sufficient for those tasks. When it goes out, I plan on getting a matching monitor. Everything important lines up though. The monitor's bezel may not line up, but the display does. That's the most important aspect.

I do get compliments on my setup when customers come in. More and more programmers run at least two monitors (I push that narritive HARD), and when the customers see me working on their project, they see the value of a multiple monitor setup. IMHO, anything less than two is just plain uncivilized. It's like working without a 3D Connexion Device... which I refuse to do. I push those hard too. 

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

@Programinator Cabling could definitely be cleaner. I recently moved my docking station from the left side to the right side because the docking station is malfunctioning intermittently (hence the caliper box sitting underneath it), so I have not put the wire loom back yet. I need to still re-route a few other cables first. I was in a hurry. When I finish my current project, I'll square it away. Most likely Wednesday. We shall see if the temporary fix needs a more permament fix. It has been working with no more issues so... 

The different monitor... yeah, It's not perfect, but it's a completely functional monitor and I only use it for e-mail and drawings so it is sufficient for those tasks. When it goes out, I plan on getting a matching monitor. Everything important lines up though. The monitor's bezel may not line up, but the display does. That's the most important aspect.

I do get compliments on my setup when customers come in. More and more programmers run at least two monitors (I push that narritive HARD), and when the customers see me working on their project, they see the value of a multiple monitor setup. IMHO, anything less than two is just plain uncivilized. It's like working without a 3D Connexion Device... which I refuse to do. I push those hard too. 

I had a dock just like that with my previous setup.  I put a couple of risers under the front of the laptop (they were a couple of wire nuts) and I never had a problem with losing connectivity after 

I too can't go back to 2 monitors or work without my 3dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro.  I see you are using the little one which is called something else. I have one of them too that I was going to use to travel with.  It was a no go because I am so used to the ergonomics of the spacemouse pro.  I don't know if you have tried the spacemouse pro but I suggest it if you spend long days programming. You can pick them up used on ebay pretty cheap if you search. 

@Programinator, I travel 80% of the time and I don't spend a tremendous amount of time programming anymore. Most of my time these days are spent running machine simulations in @CAMplete Solutions Inc. TruePath in support of our customers' Matsuura 5-Axis machines and training 5-Axis. Those bigger 3D Connexion devices take up too much real estate in my bag. Plus, the TSA would probably damage it in my travels.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

@Programinator, I travel 80% of the time and I don't spend a tremendous amount of time programming anymore. Most of my time these days are spent running machine simulations in @CAMplete Solutions Inc. TruePath in support of our customers' Matsuura 5-Axis machines and training 5-Axis. Those bigger 3D Connexion devices take up too much real estate in my bag. Plus, the TSA would probably damage it in my travels.

Makes sense