Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling without drilling?

Draw line at the center the distance you want to drill. Select Contour and use no comp and no lead in and lead outs. Switch to 3D and that should switch incremental depth. Now you just drilled without needing a drilling operation. Point Toolpath can do the same thing with points and you can use points instead of the line to do exactly what I just mentioned above with Contour.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Draw line at the center the distance you want to drill. Select Contour and use no comp and no lead in and lead outs. Switch to 3D and that should switch incremental depth. Now you just drilled without needing a drilling operation. Point Toolpath can do the same thing with points and you can use points instead of the line to do exactly what I just mentioned above with Contour.

I'm curious, why using this type of operation?

9 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

This is brilliant now I can erraticate that toolpath type, I can think og some other stuff I can do

14 minutes ago, peter~ said:

No, I want not to use the drilling type toolpaths,no helix bores,no circle milling,no drilling cycles.

peter did you miss this topic here , theres a new path coming which is discussed here that outputs longhand code for drilling and it wont be a drill cycle like a g81, it will be the longhand code you are after. 2021 is in public beta and available for use to beta testers just so you know.

18 minutes ago, peter~ said:

No, I want not to use the drilling type toolpaths,no helix bores,no circle milling,no drilling cycles.

Reading this comment, I believe he is trying this route because using the sdk to develop chooks, he's finding it inserts and extra point that causes issues...

Going to a 3D contour may alleviate the issue for him

• Like 1
On 2/17/2020 at 8:51 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

I really like your idea, and it gave me a lot of ideas.

17 hours ago, peter~ said:

I really like your idea, and it gave me a lot of ideas.

We have one customer that has 6 checking steps before every tool even touches the part. Fail Safe Pin Above stop and check that is correct. Around and then over checking for Radius and angle of tools. Then M00 to make sure fail safe pin is okay. Shim check to some where on the part your cutting that was your last cut surface. Yes you better know where it was then a 2nd shim check encase you need to make and adjustment then recheck your adjustment is where you expect it. The process I told you about line points and other things accomplish the above task on 3 of the operations. Here is the kicker you must place a M00 at each of the shim checks and the only way to accomplish this in Mastercam is with the toolpath editor and there must be a specific text for each shim check. It must be grammar perfect, letter perfect and punctuation perfect. If not their people will not run the programs.