Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis question

Karl@CP PISTONS

I had a coworker ask today for help with something strange. He wanted to use MasterCAM to output g-code for our 5 axis UMC750 with a very specific type of output. He wants to use the C and Z axis only to cut a sphere. He in essence wants the mill to act like a lathe in that the  B axis will be positioned at 90 degrees then the C-axis rotate 360 degrees and then move the X and Z and repeat. Is this even possible or would the c axis need to unwind? If possible what type of toolpath would I use to cut like this? 

Any pointers would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Karl@CP PISTONS said:

I had a coworker ask today for help with something strange. He wanted to use MasterCAM to output g-code for our 5 axis UMC750 with a very specific type of output. He wants to use the C and Z axis only to cut a sphere. He in essence wants the mill to act like a lathe in that the  B axis will be positioned at 90 degrees then the C-axis rotate 360 degrees and then move the X and Z and repeat. Is this even possible or would the c axis need to unwind? If possible what type of toolpath would I use to cut like this? 

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Did something similar recently using a 2d contour toolpath and post modification. Used our Mazak HMC as a VTL.

Mazak_VTL.jpg

5 axis posts don't normally support this process. CAMplete will support it because you can change the type in it. You have to specifically request this ability in a 5 Axis post to spin the C axis like what you saying if the Table to Spindle are locked. Now if you spinning the head and table like the Golf ball you talking about then like Leon said any of those should do it with no issue. I would strongly suggest doing a zig-zag unless climb all the way is the object to prevent a massive windup on the C axis.