Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Showing threads on bolts or tapped holes

GCODER

Can anyone offer a newb some advice on showing threads on a shaft or internal threads in a hole? I would think a lot of folks would consider a waste of time and it is not something I want to do regularly, but would be useful to me on occasion.Any help is appreciated.Lifelong gcoder here, and am just learning mcam and would like to do this for some project models I am doing.

22 minutes ago, Robert Horvath said:

I would think a lot of folks would consider a waste of time

The main problem with threads is the amount of memory they require. If you have a lot of threaded components you can slow your system down considerably.

I usually download bolts from Mcmaster - Carr if I want to do a fancy presentation. MC doesn't have a good thread creation tool.

• Like 1

That is one angle I had not thought of. This is a project that I use for a beginners cnc course that I run. It is a small machinist vice and the threads I want to produce are for a screw that runs through the body of the vice and connects the handle to the sliding jaw. I would like to draw a helix around the bolt and install it onto the body.handlebolt.emcam

1 minute ago, Leon82 said:

Make the helix the correct pitch, then draw the triangle with the 60 degree angle on the helix and I think you can sweep along that. I forget the functions exact name

Surface Tab -> Swept Surface 

As Leon82 suggested...Wireframe - create helix (rectangle drop down to find this) - create the helix based on your thread specs - then create the shape of thread you want to cut (60 degree triangle etc) - then select Solids - Sweep - select the triangle shape first - then select your path/ guide for it to follow (the helix) - make sure Cut body is activated/ selected.

The other cheap and dirty way (if it is a standard thread) is to download a stud stp/step file from McMaster-Carr, then alter the length if needed. Then do a boolean add to attach your head.

I am attaching a file with both ideas (the helix is roughly based on 1/4-20 and the stud is a 1/4-28 x 2" file from McMaster-Carr).

Handle_Bolt_JF.emcam

• Like 1
On 2/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, #Rekd™ said:

Wireframe - create helix (rectangle drop down to find this) - create the helix based on your thread specs - then create the shape of thread you want to cut (60 degree triangle etc) - then select Solids - Sweep - select the triangle shape first - then select your path/ guide for it to follow (the helix) - make sure Cut body is activated/ selected.

From my previous post. Create the Helix first to match the thread specs. Use the Rectangle drop down to find the Helix command. Then create a triangle to match the shape of the threads. Then create a solid body (you already did this) base on the major dia of the screw. Then use the Solids - Sweep command. First select the triangle shape and then select the helix (the path) and make sure Cut body is activated.

Thanks  again for helping. I have done all this and from solids I click on sweep, first clicking on my triangle, then green check, then selecting the helix, again green check. I have to click on target body to be able to get the cut body to activate. I keep getting a warning that result of sweep would create an invalid solid.Is it possible that this will not work on HLE? 

attachment shows where I stalled.

bolt.emcam

It is easier (I find) to create the helix at the minor dia and create the triangle.

With your last file I created a small root flat and translated the triangle down about 0.013".

My suggestion of using an existing file from McMaster-Carr (100% free) is easier then this.

Thread.JPG

Nice touch with the flat.I was going to try dropping the triangle down also.I did translate the triangle up last night and I could only go up a small way before it would not sweep.

Thank you for all the help.I only needed to do this for a model in a basic cnc course I teach.I am creating MC SOLID MODELS from an old blueprint.This has been great practice for me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, GCODER said:

Can anyone offer a newb some advice on showing threads on a shaft or internal threads in a hole? I would think a lot of folks would consider a waste of time and it is not something I want to do regularly, but would be useful to me on occasion.Any help is appreciated.Lifelong gcoder here, and am just learning mcam and would like to do this for some project models I am doing.

emasteram.jpg