Sign in to follow this  
GCODER

Showing threads on bolts or tapped holes

Can anyone offer a newb some advice on showing threads on a shaft or internal threads in a hole? I would think a lot of folks would consider a waste of time and it is not something I want to do regularly, but would be useful to me on occasion.Any help is appreciated.Lifelong gcoder here, and am just learning mcam and would like to do this for some project models I am doing.

22 minutes ago, Robert Horvath said:

I would think a lot of folks would consider a waste of time

The main problem with threads is the amount of memory they require. If you have a lot of threaded components you can slow your system down considerably.

I usually download bolts from Mcmaster - Carr if I want to do a fancy presentation. MC doesn't have a good thread creation tool.

• Like 1

That is one angle I had not thought of. This is a project that I use for a beginners cnc course that I run. It is a small machinist vice and the threads I want to produce are for a screw that runs through the body of the vice and connects the handle to the sliding jaw. I would like to draw a helix around the bolt and install it onto the body.handlebolt.emcam

Make the helix the correct pitch, then draw the triangle with the 60 degree angle on the helix and I think you can sweep along that. I forget the functions exact name

1 minute ago, Leon82 said:

Make the helix the correct pitch, then draw the triangle with the 60 degree angle on the helix and I think you can sweep along that. I forget the functions exact name

Surface Tab -> Swept Surface 

• Like 1

As Leon82 suggested...Wireframe - create helix (rectangle drop down to find this) - create the helix based on your thread specs - then create the shape of thread you want to cut (60 degree triangle etc) - then select Solids - Sweep - select the triangle shape first - then select your path/ guide for it to follow (the helix) - make sure Cut body is activated/ selected.

The other cheap and dirty way (if it is a standard thread) is to download a stud stp/step file from McMaster-Carr, then alter the length if needed. Then do a boolean add to attach your head.

I am attaching a file with both ideas (the helix is roughly based on 1/4-20 and the stud is a 1/4-28 x 2" file from McMaster-Carr).

Handle_Bolt_JF.emcam

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will get on this later and post result.

10 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

The other cheap and dirty way (if it is a standard thread) is to download a stud stp/step file from McMaster-Carr, then alter the length if needed. Then do a boolean add to attach your head.

That's officer level thinking there. I like it

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

REKd, did you cut along wireframe helix or did you do it along a solid?

I believe you would cut along the helix, as this would cut in a spiral motion

On 2/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, #Rekd™ said:

Wireframe - create helix (rectangle drop down to find this) - create the helix based on your thread specs - then create the shape of thread you want to cut (60 degree triangle etc) - then select Solids - Sweep - select the triangle shape first - then select your path/ guide for it to follow (the helix) - make sure Cut body is activated/ selected.

From my previous post. Create the Helix first to match the thread specs. Use the Rectangle drop down to find the Helix command. Then create a triangle to match the shape of the threads. Then create a solid body (you already did this) base on the major dia of the screw. Then use the Solids - Sweep command. First select the triangle shape and then select the helix (the path) and make sure Cut body is activated.

Thanks  again for helping. I have done all this and from solids I click on sweep, first clicking on my triangle, then green check, then selecting the helix, again green check. I have to click on target body to be able to get the cut body to activate. I keep getting a warning that result of sweep would create an invalid solid.Is it possible that this will not work on HLE? 

attachment shows where I stalled.

bolt.emcam

Try creating the helix at the minor diameter of the thread. You might have to shorten the solid you are cutting and then do a boolean add to make it longer.

No dice there either. Not sure what to try except  that I will open this file at work and try it there and hope that it is just HLE that is the problem.

I created a new helix and triangle and it worked for me, I couldn’t get your helix and triangle to work.

Hmm....I wonder what the diffierence is. I tried moving the triangle to see if that was the problem. Was  your helix at the minor dia of the thread and what position was your triangle at ?

I created the helix at the minor dia. I created the triangle at the end of the helix. Make sure only the main solid is visible as your head is currently a separate solid. 

Did you look at my sample file from my original post?

I did get it to work but the threads are more square at the crest of threads on the outside dia. So, I am getting closer. That is enough for today.

Ok, so here is where I am. I am not sure if maybe the triangle needs to be drawn in another plane. The threads are very squarish looking.Perhaps drawing the helix to the root diameter may help.

3rd thread.emcam

It is easier (I find) to create the helix at the minor dia and create the triangle.

With your last file I created a small root flat and translated the triangle down about 0.013".

My suggestion of using an existing file from McMaster-Carr (100% free) is easier then this.

Thread.JPG

Nice touch with the flat.I was going to try dropping the triangle down also.I did translate the triangle up last night and I could only go up a small way before it would not sweep.

Thank you for all the help.I only needed to do this for a model in a basic cnc course I teach.I am creating MC SOLID MODELS from an old blueprint.This has been great practice for me.

On 2/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, GCODER said:

Can anyone offer a newb some advice on showing threads on a shaft or internal threads in a hole? I would think a lot of folks would consider a waste of time and it is not something I want to do regularly, but would be useful to me on occasion.Any help is appreciated.Lifelong gcoder here, and am just learning mcam and would like to do this for some project models I am doing.

emasteram.jpg