Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Merge part-files with Geometry + Toolpaths?

R-Miller

I have multiply part files in my folder.
They have been one part-file from the beginning with groups "program1, program2, program3..."
Someone in my team did not like this and split the file into 15 part files.

My question is: Is it possible to merge this part files into one file again?

I have tried merging the files but only get the geometry added. Merging or importing the toolpath seems to be not easy.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:58 AM, R-E said:

I have multiply part files in my folder.
They have been one part-file from the beginning with groups "program1, program2, program3..."
Someone in my team did not like this and split the file into 15 part files.

My question is: Is it possible to merge this part files into one file again?

I have tried merging the files but only get the geometry added. Merging or importing the toolpath seems to be not easy.

It is not too bad, define a position to import each file , then import operation and select import operation geometry, then merge the file to the same location.

HTH

If you have solid chains you will need to use nesting to import the toolpaths then it will add all your operations into separate groups and you can delete the nesting operation.

11 hours ago, content creator said:

If you have solid chains you will need to use nesting to import the toolpaths then it will add all your operations into separate groups and you can delete the nesting operation.

I've tried to import / merge each file but Mastercam and importing toolpaths frome files including geometry but getting error "solid geometry from external file is not accessible" Operations witch uses lines works after regeneration, but toolpaths connected to solids/surfaces are missing the geometry to work.

Please tell me more how to use "nesting to import the operations".

3 hours ago, R-E said:

I've tried to import / merge each file but Mastercam and importing toolpaths frome files including geometry but getting error "solid geometry from external file is not accessible" Operations witch uses lines works after regeneration, but toolpaths connected to solids/surfaces are missing the geometry to work.

Please tell me more how to use "nesting to import the operations".

Hi, yes the solid geometry is preventing you from import.

In the toolpath tab select nesting, a dialog will open right click in the parts area and select "add operation cluster from file" then in the sheets area right click and select add rectangular, press ok.

Side note nesting only supports top and bottom plane operations.

Side note to avoid this issue im the future assign your toolpaths to surfaces instead of a solid and you will be anle to import operation with geometry.

Side note; even though there is a warning from the import solid operation, if you import your 3d model, there is a chance it will assign the toolpaths anyway.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:24 AM, content creator said:

Hi, yes the solid geometry is preventing you from import.

In the toolpath tab select nesting, a dialog will open right click in the parts area and select "add operation cluster from file" then in the sheets area right click and select add rectangular, press ok.

Side note nesting only supports top and bottom plane operations.

Side note to avoid this issue im the future assign your toolpaths to surfaces instead of a solid and you will be anle to import operation with geometry.

Side note; even though there is a warning from the import solid operation, if you import your 3d model, there is a chance it will assign the toolpaths anyway.

Thanks for well written instructions but this did unfortunately not work.
As you mentioned in the notes probably coursed by tool-planes and 5-ax operations.

"Warning - MultiAxis operations are not supported"

Just now, R-E said:

Thanks for well written instructions but this did unfortunately not work.
As you mentioned in the notes probably coursed by tool-planes and 5-ax operations.

"Warning - MultiAxis operations are not supported"

Thats what I was afraid of, try importing the operation with geometry after importing the solid, if that doesnt work then you are out of luck, I can investigate if their is a work around, but that may take some time.