Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Mill external corner radius

Jespertech

My apologies in advance for not being able to provide a file for this post. I'm just looking to get some opinions on the best  toolpaths suited for machining the 1mm radius around the pockets. So far I have had good results (mastercam verify only) with the Raster toolpath. I'm using a 1/4 ball endmill and the cycle time is around 6min but my step over will probably have to be reduced for quality.

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

bm3.jpg

bm4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

There are some cool new Reflow UV tools in 2021 that would make Flowline a very nice viable path on these surfaces here.... 😀

Flowline is always a viable toolpath, however in the past combining & redrawing the surfaces was required for it to work, if that has changed that would be good.

Right- I usually passed it up if I was trying to toolpath more than one surface and the UV's weren't already aligned. Viable in my mind here is viable in terms of time commitment vs result.

The 2021 tools allow you to edit the UV grids of groups of surfaces to bring them all in line with each other, and the really powerful new tool is to reflow the UV's of a surface based on curve sets. I've used it quite a bit already to perfectly blend UV grids on surface sets exactly like this pocket fillet loop- something that in the past I would have given up on almost immediately and gone straight to Morph- sacrificing the clean motion of Flowline just to get a path without major geometry creation/edits.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
19 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Cool just get customers to accept Beta software on their parts and we are good to go. 🤔🤨

Just a few more months for those who don't want to use Beta software... Applications is testing on-machine far in advance of Beta cycle, so I have a different tolerance for risk than most. Need a lot of coffee for red button reaction time during very early builds! 

Here's some cool examples of reflowing UV's of a surface that didn't align well with an adjacent groove surface, and where the UV was initially a simple grid that caused a lot of unnecessary relinks where the groove surface narrowed at the top end:

1272882586_Reflow1.png.ae00ea814a7e976fbf20527a5ecc6119.png708571502_Reflow2.png.bd86b94247d36eb92cb75727aad6b108.png

21 hours ago, jlw™ said:

I've always been very pleased with the motion I get from Morph.

I think you'd be shocked at the cycle time differences on a high speed machine if you did the same surface set back to back in Flow, then Morph, with the same tool axis control setup. Because Morph is pathing across a mesh in the background, the vectors and linear motion deltas are not quite as clean as paths that work directly off of Surface UV's, and a fast machine will expose this in terms of total cycle time.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Chally72 said:

I think you'd be shocked at the cycle time differences on a high speed machine if you did the same surface set back to back in Flow, then Morph, with the same tool axis control setup. Because Morph is pathing across a mesh in the background, the vectors and linear motion deltas are not quite as clean as paths that work directly off of Surface UV's, and a fast machine will expose this in terms of total cycle time.

Now you understand why some many of us old timers know how to make surfaces in Mastercam so well. 😉

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 7:34 AM, Chally72 said:

I don't doubt you at all.  Flow is my goto but I prefer the motion and less surface creation of morph as well as the lead in/out available.  Not to mention I'll never see the difference in any of the machines I'm sending code to.

17 hours ago, jlw™ said:

I don't doubt you at all.  Flow is my goto but I prefer the motion and less surface creation of morph as well as the lead in/out available.  Not to mention I'll never see the difference in any of the machines I'm sending code to.

Ease of use is a big reason I stay away from Flow paths and other UV based paths as well, and we've got some new surfacing tools to start allowing easier surface manipulation for this type of thing.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, crazy^millman said:

Now you understand why some many of us old timers know how to make surfaces in Mastercam so well. 😉

Yeah, the old timers around our shop always stressed the importance of redrawing surfaces for complex parts, I always draw surfaces and do surface finish flowline with or without an offset depending if its finish or rough if I need it. I never have problems, and I do some really complex surfaces but mastercam net surfaces and project make it so so easy to do.

1 minute ago, JParis said:

Are they going to be so easy a 6 year old can do it?

:D

They let you change the uv direction on solid surfs in 2021, its amazing!!! I saw it in a video!

Our metal shop programmers have been asking for that foreevverrr.

Maybe I can finally get them off x9! 

53 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

Ease of use is a big reason I stay away from Flow paths and other UV based paths as well, and we've got some new surfacing tools to start allowing easier surface manipulation for this type of thing.

How is the generation time?

My flowines are all single surface.It generates fast, regen is a big factor for me cuz I use mastercam nesting.

28 minutes ago, JParis said:

Are they going to be so easy a 6 year old can do it?

:D

As long as they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the previous night.

24 minutes ago, megabyte said:

They let you change the uv direction on solid surfs in 2021, its amazing!!! I saw it in a video!

Our metal shop programmers have been asking for that foreevverrr.

Maybe I can finally get them off x9! 

How is the generation time?

My flowines are all single surface.It generates fast, regen is a big factor for me cuz I use mastercam nesting.

For those that might not have seen it, here's a very general video of the UV stuff in 2021:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSBibuV6TO4

Generation of Flow is unchanged from previous versions. Single surface toolpathing is always nice and snappy.