Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File types

TERRYH

Is it possible that the type of file used for a part or the way it was created by CAD cause issues when trying to program. We have processes were supposed to use when programming certain part say like a part from a large billet or a large casting, and sometimes a certain program no matter how we do it will not process, for example if we rough a part with a 3" bull nose cutter, we do a  surface high speed area rest roughing following it with a 1" high positive inserted facemill to get smaller areas the 3" tool could not get. I can do a dozen parts and not have a single issue, then all of a sudden no matter what I try the program will not process, however if I switch to a 1" button cutter it process. The current part I am working on would not process a surface high speed scallop but if I went with the older surface finish constant scallop it processed.

Our CAD dept creates parasolids don't know why just the way it has always been, and were using 2019 and 2020. I know MC can use several different types and not really sure whats best, just trying to figure out why sometimes something works and others it don't. Also we get a lot of files from over seas from a outside design company TATA and I am pretty sure with our 4 full time in house designers they all do stuff slightly different. 

59 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

Is it possible that the type of file used for a part or the way it was created by CAD cause issues when trying to program. We have processes were supposed to use when programming certain part say like a part from a large billet or a large casting, and sometimes a certain program no matter how we do it will not process, for example if we rough a part with a 3" bull nose cutter, we do a  surface high speed area rest roughing following it with a 1" high positive inserted facemill to get smaller areas the 3" tool could not get. I can do a dozen parts and not have a single issue, then all of a sudden no matter what I try the program will not process, however if I switch to a 1" button cutter it process. The current part I am working on would not process a surface high speed scallop but if I went with the older surface finish constant scallop it processed.

Our CAD dept creates parasolids don't know why just the way it has always been, and were using 2019 and 2020. I know MC can use several different types and not really sure whats best, just trying to figure out why sometimes something works and others it don't. Also we get a lot of files from over seas from a outside design company TATA and I am pretty sure with our 4 full time in house designers they all do stuff slightly different. 

Have you tried converting the solid to surfaces and driving the toolpath that way? 

How the model is constructed can have a profound affect on your ability to apply toolpaths directly to it, mainly due to how accurately the faces are constructed and trimmed together.

Hence why many people use derived geometry as Ron suggests. Untrimming a surface derived from the solid can also make things easier.

As for file transfer, parasolid is considered to be the most bullet proof protocol but as far as I know saving as a parasolid in itself does not affect the quality of the solid.

• Like 1

Yes we use surfaces to program not solids. We used to have MC set to automatically convert when opening a new file, when we went from X9 to 2019 or re-seller suggested programming directly from the solid, but we found they had their uses and didn't like it as well so we now bring in the solid and convert it to surfaces our selves and save a copy of the original solid. I do not think any of us use solids just keep it a a reference. 

19 hours ago, TERRYH said:

however if I switch to a 1" button cutter it process

Hi,

I have a few suggestion.

-> Test the toolpath against each surface geometry individually to identify the "troublemaker"

->If you can identify it, you could try moving the node points/redrawing the surface until your toolpath works.

Then maybe your engineers could optimize their solids for manufacturing.

It would be worth it to show this issue to Cnc Software, they might have some tricks to deal with this.

6 minutes ago, gcode said:

These should always be your first choice … if you have a choice

Other than native IMO

If you can open the native files, not translating at all is best but after that, parasolids are first, step is second