Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bugs and issues with 2020

SSS824

1"Only display selected toolpaths" in previous versions if you toggle off display on a toolpath, it would stay off when clicking through the list after enabling only display selected.  This is extremely annoying because independently they worked great in the past.  Now if you don't want to see a million toolpath lines its turn it off for good and keep it off.

2"Stock Display"  every version before 2020 if you turn off stock display it stays off...very annoying to see it keep popping up on its own.

There are many more I will have to add to this list as I come across them again, but the aforementioned are the worst.

P.S. if I have two machine groups using the same machine (i'm trying to force them to post into one nc file as two separate programs including m30's and title headers etc.) cimco flashes like it is posting twice but only posts group 2.  Is there a way around this or should I just hand splice them?

1 minute ago, SSS824 said:

It does in a grayed out selection, but only group 2 actually posts.

Can I ask why you made 2 machine groups? Why not just one machine group with a different WCS for the next operation or it seems like the same operation since you are trying to post them together? Not trying to be a pain just trying to get insight into your issue to help?

Just now, 5th Axis CGI said:

Can I ask why you made 2 machine groups? Why not just one machine group with a different WCS for the next operation or it seems like the same operation since you are trying to post them together? Not trying to be a pain just trying to get insight into your issue to help?

I'm trying to get them both to post as one NC file, but as if they had been posted individually which includes title area, date etc.  I don't think I can do that with WCS.

What I like to do is have OP10 and OP20 nicely separated, which can be copy pasted to program O0000 and run without editing the original..it's just how I do it when I have thousands of programs.  If I like the edits I make from year to year when the job repeats I go back and replace the actual file and everything is neat and tidy.

Just now, SSS824 said:

I'm trying to get them both to post as one NC file, but as if they had been posted individually which includes title area, date etc.  I don't think I can do that with WCS.

What I like to do is have OP10 and OP20 nicely separated, which can be copy pasted to program O0000 and run without editing the original..it's just how I do it when I have thousands of programs.  If I like the edits I make from year to year when the job repeats I go back and replace the actual file and everything is neat and tidy.

I do this all the time with one machine group and may have 20 operations for one part. WCS helps and many ways to organized and keep your work tidy.

I make each operation and main group and then make sub groups in that operation group.

Here is one I am currently working on:

image.thumb.png.110ea0cc17414c20c8707a3072b4c65a.png

Here is my planes manager.

image.thumb.png.8831281f204d5211a5b6928be7b2cc59.png

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I do this all the time with one machine group and may have 20 operations for one part. WCS helps and many ways to organized and keep your work tidy.

I make each operation and main group and then make sub groups in that operation group.

Here is one I am currently working on:

image.thumb.png.110ea0cc17414c20c8707a3072b4c65a.png

Here is my planes manager.

image.thumb.png.8831281f204d5211a5b6928be7b2cc59.png

That is a nice way of doing it, you are adding New Toolpath Group, but that doesn't separate the program for me when I go to post, group 2/ OP 20 picks right up after group one ends?  Just an M01 and the program keeps on going.  I'm trying to make it post separately as one File.

2 hours ago, SSS824 said:

That is a nice way of doing it, you are adding New Toolpath Group, but that doesn't separate the program for me when I go to post, group 2/ OP 20 picks right up after group one ends?  Just an M01 and the program keeps on going.  I'm trying to make it post separately as one File.

You need to right click on the operation navigate to Edit selected operations and use the Change NC File Name and then you will get a new program posted for that group you pick. What I suspected when I read the topic you're not using Mastercam to it fullest.

image.png.5d7469243ab47d4d9337249d33a0463d.png

• Like 1
18 hours ago, SSS824 said:

1"Only display selected toolpaths" in previous versions if you toggle off display on a toolpath, it would stay off when clicking through the list after enabling only display selected.  This is extremely annoying because independently they worked great in the past.  Now if you don't want to see a million toolpath lines its turn it off for good and keep it off.

2"Stock Display"  every version before 2020 if you turn off stock display it stays off...very annoying to see it keep popping up on its own.

Don't forget you can use the "T" key to toggle on and off what is displaying on your screen. I pretty much always keep the "only display selected toolpaths" highlighted, and just use the T key alot. Note: You need to click back in the toolpaths manager to "T"oggle them on and off. Easy enough.  

15 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

You need to right click on the operation navigate to Edit selected operations and use the Change NC File Name and then you will get a new program posted for that group you pick. What I suspected when I read the topic you're not using Mastercam to it fullest.

image.png.5d7469243ab47d4d9337249d33a0463d.png

I'm sure I am not, but the bugs i mentioned are still present in 2020 at least in my copy.  I could shoot a screen cap if I have to.

2 hours ago, SSS824 said:

I'm sure I am not, but the bugs i mentioned are still present in 2020 at least in my copy.  I could shoot a screen cap if I have to.

We can always add a manual entry with "M0" to separate parts of the program and ghost it when do not need it.

I'm adding a new machine only if have to use different fixture or stock

22 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I do this all the time. I have lathe and mill ops in the same file. Even if I just have lathe ops I create separate machine groups for each op. I do not like using the MC stock flip because it typically causes other problems. I will create lathe op1 ad then use lathe stock preview to create stock for the next ops.

What I would love to see is Mastercam provide the option for online licensing, I use this feature in Solidworks and it simply disconnects my work computer when I log on at home.  I am waiting for the day I can finally put this Hasp USB in a drawer and stop carrying it around/forgetting it.

Also does anyone know how to make the mouse arrow icon appear when clicking a point during translate like in previous versions?  I can't screen shot what i'm describing the cursor isn't being captured?  All I get it a small translucent circle showing up on the point in 2020.

On 3/6/2020 at 12:16 PM, SSS824 said:

What I would love to see is Mastercam provide the option for online licensing, I use this feature in Solidworks and it simply disconnects my work computer when I log on at home.  I am waiting for the day I can finally put this Hasp USB in a drawer and stop carrying it around/forgetting it.

They do offer software licensing. Tho I think you have to deactivate the license on your work computer before you can activate it at a different location.

38 minutes ago, SSS824 said:

It is just me 1 license, I was told the Hasp usb is my only option to work at 2 physical local.

I have heard of people who got USB hasps to work remotely via a USB Anywhere type device.

I have never actually seen it done and suspect it would takes some pretty good IT trickery to get it running

1 hour ago, SSS824 said:

It is just me 1 license, I was told the Hasp usb is my only option to work at 2 physical local.

I assume that you need to post the code only at work and at home just programming part. The student edition can handle the programming part with no issues at home and the polishing part can be done at work with final code output.

Store files in a cloud can eliminate struggle with file storage and forget USB dongle.

This just one crazy idea.

5 minutes ago, pro grammer said:

AND Every  version of mastercam:

On MC lathe when doing a boring operation the tool does not retract from the id to go home and does not show a crash in the simulation. 

Not if you use it properly and define stock

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, JParis said:

On MC lathe when doing a boring operation the tool does not retract from the id to go home and does not show a crash in the simulation.

I've been running mcam lathe since like version 6...not x6...(age showing now).

IMO, Mcam has done some work to stock definition since then, and I've not had that issue ever again.

There are alot of us on here that could help with this type of issue, maybe share a file and i'm sure someone can help.

Just now, RLeuschen said:

I've been running mcam lathe since like version 6...not x6...(age showing now).

IMO, Mcam has done some work to stock definition since then, and I've not had that issue ever again.

There are alot of us on here that could help with this type of issue, maybe share a file and i'm sure someone can help.

Try this...any fie you are doing a finish bore. Forget to set a reference position and see what happens. Rapid straight up through the part. EVERY version that I can remember. You will not see it in verify or backplot.