Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

6061 Dynamic Milling Speed and Feeds?

Under the gun and dont have time to perform more research,  I remember there used to be an Excel file that had parameters but was not able to find it.

I have a 6061 part with a large cavity approximately 5.0 x 14.0 x 2.4 deep that I am planing on dynamic milling.  It has been so long since I have been driving MC or a machine for that matter that I don't remember reasonable speeds and feeds.  Running the part on a new Okuma MB5000HII max15K RPM, 3flt ZRN 2.5loc carbide SEM, Lyndex Nikken Big Plus NCAT40-C1-85UG milling chuck.

I have an old video of the load screen from a Mori NH5000 I used to own that was running at 243ipm at 14000k. Though I don't remember the tool Ø, DOC or radial step over so not much help.

Any starting parameter suggestions would be appreciated. 

TIA

John

Do you have the standard Okuma HiCut or did you spring for SuperNurbs high speed? If you only have HiCut you can still get the machine to move crazy fast but it requires a little more finesse. With HiCut I open the tolerances for for roughing to get the fastest movements in-between cuts when using dynamic. I also set the loop size a little bigger to make the machine move smoother. If I set the CAM tolerance to .01" and the machine tolerance to .01", I will leave .04 stock to be safe. Otherwise you can end up cutting corners. The commands to change high speed tolerance dynamically are G131 on/G130 off. There are also parameters to specify in the G131 line, E=tolerance, F=max speed, J= mode (1 or 0 for prioritizing speed or accuracy). 

As far as speed and feed. I normally start at 12000-14000 RPM in our MB5000 depending on the tool. A lot the final RPM is determined by listening to the sound and adjusting. Small RPM changes can drastically effect the harmonics. For feed I use the Helical milling adviser. https://map.harveyperformance.com/#/tool/null/null

Below is a link to a demo video I did a while back. The same HiCut/Dynamic settings as mentioned above. 1045cr steel in that demo. 

• Like 2

Thanks YoDoug

Standard Okuma HiCut, we only drill and tap holes, cut pockets and heat sink fins in aluminum.  The Okuma is a real step up from the late 90's Hass that we are currently running.  I tell the Hass machinists that the Okuma can cut faster that the Hass can rapid, they think I am lying.

• Like 1