Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best way to machine feature

Programinator

This part has a hole with a radius on the bottom of it.  The hole breaks through into a pocket and so i can't machine it in a traditional way.  I need Ideas on how to get the full radius on 3 axis machine.  I thought about a burr ball, but that will not give me the full radius.  Any other tools available to be able to get that either from when i do the pocket side or when i put the holes in from the sides?  Hole diameter is .672 radius at end of hole is.236.  hole is 1.9 deep.  thanks

edit.  I just found that harvey radius back corner rounding endmill.  that would work i think.  anyone use them?

2020-03-06 06_47_30-Window.jpg

2020-03-06 07_03_06-Harvey Tool - Carbide Corner Rounding End Mills - Back Corner Rounding End Mills.jpg

57 minutes ago, Programinator said:

I just found that harvey radius back corner rounding endmill.  that would work i think.  anyone use them?

Yes, used them.....they work as advertised....in that case it it fits thru the hole, you should be GTG

2 minutes ago, JParis said:

Yes, used them.....they work as advertised....in that case it it fits thru the hole, you should be GTG

thanks.  Harvey don't make a size that will fit thru the hole and get that size radius.  I will have to ask for a deviation to a smaller radius from the customer.  Hopefully they will be ok with it.

3 hours ago, Programinator said:

thanks.  Harvey don't make a size that will fit thru the hole and get that size radius.  I will have to ask for a deviation to a smaller radius from the customer.  Hopefully they will be ok with it.

They will make you a custom tool to the size you need.

12 hours ago, Programinator said:

if it dont fit in the hole with all 4 teeth, you could grind 3 teeth off the tool, so its a single tooth tool, that would allow you to move off centerline of the hole and it might fit then.

if you dont know what i am referring to, look at the image below, i removed 3 teeth on that right side tool and it will fit into a smaller hole now you can see in this example image below

1.png

so basically we could move the tool off centerline of the hole, plunge into the hole, then move back to centerline and do the toolpath, then move back off center before retracting out.

note: if you do this you might need to add something like an M19 to orientate the spindle prior to entry/exit of the hole, and the tool itself in the holder would need to be orientated properly to ensure its going to align with the hole on entry since your pic shows little clearance for the size of that radii. 

• Like 5
On 3/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, JoshC said:

if it dont fit in the hole with all 4 teeth, you could grind 3 teeth off the tool, so its a single tooth tool, that would allow you to move off centerline of the hole and it might fit then.

if you dont know what i am referring to, look at the image below, i removed 3 teeth on that right side tool and it will fit into a smaller hole now you can see in this example image below

1.png

so basically we could move the tool off centerline of the hole, plunge into the hole, then move back to centerline and do the toolpath, then move back off center before retracting out.

note: if you do this you might need to add something like an M19 to orientate the spindle prior to entry/exit of the hole, and the tool itself in the holder would need to be orientated properly to ensure its going to align with the hole on entry since your pic shows little clearance for the size of that radii. 

Great idea!  I would have never thought of that. If they don't accept the smaller radius than that's what I will definitely have to do.  Thanks