Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deburring Endmill

Has anyone ever used these?

Capture.PNG.12e45e75fe6dc348dd52479c33921d0e.PNG

We do a lot of smaller parts with  places that are difficult to get in with a standard chamfer tool. A lot of hand deburring. Trying to get a tumbler but not a high priority for my boss because hey he is not the one sitting here doing this PITA hand work.

IMG_20200309_073756641.jpg.55c449c9056713c15eb6fbb7309d2851.jpg

I was wondering how theses work and if anyone has experience with them?

12 minutes ago, BrianP. said:

We do a lot of smaller parts with  places that are difficult to get in with a standard chamfer tool.

You'll have to define what that standard tool is....I too do a lot of smallish parts with chamfers up against angles and walls....for us a tool as shown would be a non-starter...every part we make has to be a diamond and ont in the rough if you know what I mean...I use chamfer tools down to a 1/32 x 90° if I must to get into tight areas.....but typically with a tip offset and and depth offset in a chamfer cut I can get right against the area I need to ....

YrZfZDJ.jpg

1 hour ago, BrianP. said:

I was wondering how theses work and if anyone has experience with them?

We use the Double Angle , relieved (and unrelieved) balls and back and front rad tools. We also use the ballnose version of the illustrated tool for "tight" corners and fine work.

All from Harvey.

58 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

We use the Double Angle , relieved (and unrelieved) balls and back and front rad tools. We also use the ballnose version of the illustrated tool for "tight" corners and fine work.

All from Harvey.

I guess my real question is how do they function? I mean they just look like a roughing end mill that would give you a crappy finish.

Have you tried the deburr toolpath with a small ballnose? That works really well but obviously it can't get everything. 

As for those types of tools, I've never tried them on steel unless it was in a dremel style tool. So in theory they should work.

45 minutes ago, BrianP. said:

I guess my real question is how do they function? I mean they just look like a roughing end mill that would give you a crappy finish.

We use all the ones I mentioned in aluminum and steel. The crosscut deburr tools are fine for beburr, but I wouldn't do surface finish work with them.

We use them to deburr hexes on the ends of tubes with tangential wire-lock holes in Inconel. We do all the edges and corners and the wire-lock entrance and exit holes. They are properly ground tools so they are dimensionally accurate. The crosscut pattern increases the effective number of cutting edges (flutes) and allows bi directional feeding, which speeds things up. The parts look great but we are only doing an .006 - .01 rad or edge break with those.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, jeff said:

Have you tried the deburr toolpath with a small ballnose? That works really well but obviously it can't get everything. 

As for those types of tools, I've never tried them on steel unless it was in a dremel style tool. So in theory they should work.

That I have not tried, the ballnose for deburring. I do use the chamfer tool path all the time. When the tool is set up correctly you can control the chamfer nicely. Most of the times we just want to break the edge so there is no burr. Maybe .002-.003 edge break.

Edit: When you talk about "deburr toolpath" are you talking about chamfer?

9 minutes ago, BrianP. said:

Edit: When you talk about "deburr toolpath" are you talking about chamfer?

No, there is a toolpath called Deburr.  And it's made for ballnose end mills.

I think it's new to Mastercam 2020, although it may have been in 2019 I'm not certain.

yep, it was in 2019:

36 minutes ago, jeff said:

No, there is a toolpath called Deburr.  And it's made for ballnose end mills.

I think it's new to Mastercam 2020, although it may have been in 2019 I'm not certain.

yep, it was in 2019:

Don't have multi axis.  :no

Maybe that's why I could not find it. Not looking there.