Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Laptop

petro7

6 minutes ago, petro7 said:

looking for a laptop to run mastercam. I may be working from home shortly. Just looking for suggestion . Downfall is I only want to spend 2000.00 Canadian , Am I wasting my time or is this possible.  
Thanks

Sure it's possible. Especially if you don't mind poor/lower video performance.

I've seen people run Mastercam on a $500 dell vostro with a low end Quadro.

It's going to depend on what type of programming you do. 

22 minutes ago, petro7 said:

2000.00 Canadian

So what, about $75 US   :D

It's really gonna depend what kind of work.....complex 3D, 5 axis, you really need something that will most likely cost significantly more....mostly 2D, light 3D maybe some turning, a lower end system can get the job done,.... you need is really the driving factor, not so much your budget

2 minutes ago, petro7 said:

Mostly 2d Light  3d. no 5 axis and 2 axis turning. Yes Jparis Canadian dollar isn't doing well.lol

I was just funnin' for a minute  :)

Yes, you should be able to find something that will work in your price range..get as much processor speed, memory and video power as you can from whatever you choose. Should be in the $1500 US range..check the Dell outlet store  https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2201&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

My boss had me take my desktop home last night to see if I could connect through VPN to our network. Fortunately I have better monitors and everything than I have here at work. But it didn't work. Some settings are wrong they need to look into today. I am a little PO'd I got a ~2in scratch in my drywall this morning trying to haul it out. I also need to remember to bring another displayport adapter as I only had one at home.

Thanks everyone I will check Dell. I was also getting price as high as 5000.00 Canadian. I took the recommended requirement off the mastercam site to the computer store and asked for something in the middle of the requirements . So this time I will take 2000.00 dollars with me and see what I can get. Cheers

Go on Ebay and search Dell M6800 CAD.

You can pick up a Dell manufacture refurbished laptop for under $500.

I would recommend one with the Nvidia K3100M graphics card, a SSD and at least 16 GB RAM.

I bought my refurb in 2015 and it is still running Mastercam 2020 everyday with no issues at all.