Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam 2020 on mac book pro?

TacoMachinist

I've been doing some research and i cant really find the answer I'm looking for.

specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I already own my mac. This wouldn't be a full time setup more just for working at home.

I'm planning on running windows in boot camp and have been told that the training will work fine on mac like this but I want to know if the full version will run stable or not?

Is anyone else running this?

We all use laptops @ CNC, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

------------Unofficial graphics card note---------------

The only concerning thing I see for mid-range work with that setup is the Intel chip for graphics.   There's a strange phenomena where by the time the Intel chips were powerful enough to run the software pretty good (and they met the OpenGL & CL requirements), they broke the OpenGL implementation.  I'm not sure where the "Iris Pro" line falls in that.  Starting with Intel drivers 22.xxx, you will not be able to start Mastercam.  If you're running 21.xxx or lower (which came out about 2 or 3 years ago), you should be fine.  I'd try it.

We don't use Intels around the building or recommend them in general as it's not really a CAD/CAM graphics chip, and it looks like a pretty bad break by Intel (we're not the only ones who got bit by it), so I don't know that it'll be fixed any time soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies 

Since i posted this I’ve got windows 10 running in boot camp and i have downloaded the mastercam 2020 demo/training.  I goofed around in it with my limited knowledge for about 20-30 minutes generating tool paths and some simulations, everything seemed to run fine. 
Our reseller at work confirmed running the demo will work as he’s seen it multiple times. 
He’s unsure about the full version as it makes edits to the registry when installed and isn't sure How the mac handles that. 

32 minutes ago, tgelata said:

Thanks for the replies 

Since i posted this I’ve got windows 10 running in boot camp and i have downloaded the mastercam 2020 demo/training.  I goofed around in it with my limited knowledge for about 20-30 minutes generating tool paths and some simulations, everything seemed to run fine. 
Our reseller at work confirmed running the demo will work as he’s seen it multiple times. 
He’s unsure about the full version as it makes edits to the registry when installed and isn't sure How the mac handles that. 

if your able to run the HLE without trouble i would think you'll be able to run the full version without trouble, the requirements for the HLE is the same as the full version as far as i know so i expect you wont have any trouble with the full version if you didnt have any trouble with the HLE on that pc.

3 hours ago, JoshC said:

if your able to run the HLE without trouble i would think you'll be able to run the full version without trouble, the requirements for the HLE is the same as the full version as far as i know so i expect you wont have any trouble with the full version if you didnt have any trouble with the HLE on that pc. 

Correct, there's no difference between the two as far as graphics, toolpath capabilities, simulation options, etc..   The only difference is in licensing (e.g. not able to post) and of course, that it "watermarks" a file as .emcam so you can't use it with the industrial seat.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Just wanted to update the thread.

I've been running the full version of mastercam 2020 with windows 10 in boot camp and It's been running flawlessly with no problems yet.

I might actually prefer it over our setup at work.

Running verify the fan will speed up considerably but hasn't crashed or really slowed performance enough to be a problem.

The only 'issues' would be that the icons are very small even with the large icon setting turned on and I'd recommend getting an external keyboard with a number pad.

2 hours ago, tgelata said:

Just wanted to update the thread.

I've been running the full version of mastercam 2020 with windows 10 in boot camp and It's been running flawlessly with problems yet.

I might actually prefer it over our setup at work.

Running verify the fan will speed up considerably but hasn't crashed or really slowed performance enough to be a problem.

The only 'issues' would be that the icons are very small even with the large icon setting turned on and I'd recommend getting an external keyboard with a number pad.

yea i have also heard that macbook pros work really well with mastercam from the people that i know using macs with the software, i even seen it firsthand being beat in a benchmark test against a mackbook.

For the issue with very small icons, try this.

Right-click on the Mastercam shortcut on your Desktop, or Mastercam.exe in the program folder.

• Select Properties from the list that appears.
  • Choose the Compatibility tab along the top.
  • Under Settings, check the box for Override high DPI scaling behavior.
  • Choose System from the options in the drop-down box.
  • Do not choose Application or System Enhanced.

the source of this info is from this knowledge base article, https://kb.mastercam.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50479.aspx but even though that KB article is referring to 4k screens i think the override high dpi scaling behavior setting likely will fix the very small icons problem that you are seeing. 

Thanks for dragging this back up to the top! 

Glad to hear that you're running well :)

A little update to my note, it appears that Intel finally fixed their issue with the latest round of drivers.  I've tried running Mastercam on Intel drivers v27.xx.xx and it seems to work as well as it did on the 21.xx.xx series drivers.  Thanks Intel!

15 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Thanks for dragging this back up to the top! 

Glad to hear that you're running well :)

A little update to my note, it appears that Intel finally fixed their issue with the latest round of drivers.  I've tried running Mastercam on Intel drivers v27.xx.xx and it seems to work as well as it did on the 21.xx.xx series drivers.  Thanks Intel!

That good news!!

I am using Mastercam 2021 on my Hp Laptop with Intel Graphics and it works really great. This is the model ->

Product number
1UG34UA
Product name
HP Notebook - 15-bs028ca
Microprocessor
Intel® Core™ i5-7200U (2.5 GHz base frequency, up to 3.1 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory, standard
8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
Video graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 620
Hard drive
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Display
15.6" diagonal HD SVA WLED-backlit touch screen (1366 x 768)
Keyboard
Full-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad
Pointing device
Touchpad with multi-touch gesture support
Wireless connectivity
Intel® 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN
Expansion slots
1 multi-format SD media card reader
External ports
2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only); 1 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
38 x 25.38 x 2.38 cm
Weight
1.91 kg
Power supply type
45 W AC power adapter
Battery type
3-cell, 31 Wh Li-ion
Webcam
HP TrueVision HD Camera with integrated digital microphone
Audio features
Dual speakers

I was surprised the performance was any good.