Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

You've Lost Connection, You Have One Chance to Save Your Work

Reko

So, we gave up the physical hasps and we switched over to the Nethasp system where I work... and it's been nothing but trouble.

We must have rebooted the main computer with the Nethasp on it... a hundred times or more.

We have 4 mill seats and one WEDM seat , and frequently... I mean a whole he|| of a lot of times... there someone that can't get on... so the only answer is to reboot and try again.

The thing that bothers me most is... once I have a seat and I'm working along... I don't think I should EVER GET KICKED OFF once I have acquired a seat... that should be mine to work with even if the network goes down... seriously... I mean... put a 24 hour time limit on it if you have to... but I should not lose access randomly for any reason... but it happens... all... the... time.

You've lost connection, you have one chance to save... is a message I see in my dreams... or should I say... nightmares.

I am in contact with my distributor... but I just thought I'd vent and ask... does anyone else have trouble like this with the evil Nethasp?

#physicalhaspsrule!!!

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1

If they did that, what would be to stop you from disconnecting yourself from the network, so that someone else could use that same license?  Are you sure this is a Mastercam issue, and not a weak network issue?  The shop I work at uses nethap and I've only been kicked off once or twice, and that was because I lost network connection.

A crappy network is the root of all of the evil of which you speak...

Until we updated to codemeter licensing last Nov, we were on a Nethasp from 2015 and never had the issues of which you speak...

You can extended the license time out but you cannot stop it...I imaging your reseller will tell the IT how to extend the ping time but if it's a crappy network....it's a crappy network

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Reko said:

So, we gave up the physical hasps and we switched over to the Nethasp system where I work... and it's been nothing but trouble.

We must have rebooted the main computer with the Nethasp on it... a hundred times or more.

We have 4 mill seats and one WEDM seat , and frequently... I mean a whole he|| of a lot of times... there someone that can't get on... so the only answer is to reboot and try again.

The thing that bothers me most is... once I have a seat and I'm working along... I don't think I should EVER GET KICKED OFF once I have acquired a seat... that should be mine to work with even if the network goes down... seriously... I mean... put a 24 hour time limit on it if you have to... but I should not lose access randomly for any reason... but it happens... all... the... time.

You've lost connection, you have one chance to save... is a message I see in my dreams... or should I say... nightmares.

I am in contact with my distributor... but I just thought I'd vent and ask... does anyone else have trouble like this with the evil Nethasp?

#physicalhaspsrule!!!

Welcome to Nethasp!

39 minutes ago, gcode said:

We've been running a nethasp for over a decade and it's been rock solid.

Your network needs some TLC

You must have some IT gurus working for you!

4 hours ago, Peter from S.C.C.C. said:

Welcome to Nethasp!

You must have some IT gurus working for you!

Yes.. our network was built to support an engineering department

Its fast and stable and reliable.

Occasionally nethasp is not working Monday morning because updates were applied to the servers

but that hasn't happened recently so he must have found a fix for that too

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gcode said:

Yes.. one PC takes one license and will support multiple sessions on that license

Yes ^ I like to test chooks in Mastercam 2018 on one screen and program parts in Mastercam 2020 on the other screen. 

So... I came in over the weekend... skeleton crew... only one other programmer and the WEDM guy... and again, there are 4 mill seats and the WEDM seat... so I should be good no matter what... right?

So, I log in and start Mastercam... no problem.

Working along for 10 minutes... MESSAGE... you have lost connection, you have one chance to save your work... DAMMIT!!!

So I run out to see who else is on the Nethasp... and the WEDM guy had just logged on 20 seconds prior... we set his config file to log him directly into WEDM... so it should not have affected my mill seat.

There is no other explanation than when he logged on... I got kicked off.

I don't buy the bad network thing... something else is at play here.

Hopefully, our distributor will have some answers.

Weird that it doesn't "lock" the license. Some other softwares you need to manually release licenses so others can use. They're not "floating" licenses. I know Tebis is this way, Solidworks is this way, Gibbs is this way, I believe UG is this way. When someone opens up MC they should set it up to show that if there are no licenses available, then they cannot open it, not just boot you off. This does create an issue though where you end up searching around to see who left software open then no one can get any work done. My last company with Tebis, had just ONE license for importing parasolids, and it locked to a computer and operators often forgot to release it. Try running around the facility for 20 minutes trying to figure out where the parasolid license is just so you can import a file, and release the license. PITA. So I guess, positives and negatives of both systems. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jwvt88 said:

Weird that it doesn't "lock" the license. Some other softwares you need to manually release licenses so others can use. They're not "floating" licenses. I know Tebis is this way, Solidworks is this way, Gibbs is this way, I believe UG is this way. When someone opens up MC they should set it up to show that if there are no licenses available, then they cannot open it, not just boot you off. This does create an issue though where you end up searching around to see who left software open then no one can get any work done. My last company with Tebis, had just ONE license for importing parasolids, and it locked to a computer and operators often forgot to release it. Try running around the facility for 20 minutes trying to figure out where the parasolid license is just so you can import a file, and release the license. PITA. So I guess, positives and negatives of both systems. 

I agree... and this is pretty much what I was trying to say in the original post. Once I have a license... it should not kick me off until I release it.

That would solve my problem.

The downside of what you are saying is still a downside of this Nethasp system too... because if al the licenses are being used... you can't get on until someone shuts down their session of Mastercam... which is fine... but that isn't currently happening for us right now.

People are randomly getting booted out of their session... then that license is still locked out until there is a system reboot of the main computer that the physical Nethasp is on.

What a pain.

Hopefully we can get this ironed out.

• 1 month later...

Okay... I just want to update this thread for posterity.

We could not find a way to stabilize what we had while using the Nethasp... tried adjusting the communication time and made a few other adjustments our distributer suggested... but nothing worked. We were still rebooting the server almost every say... sometimes more than once.

Finally, our dealer suggested going away from the Nethasp to software handling of the licensing... he said eventually, this is where everything is going to go anyway, so might as well get it installed now and maybe it would help.

Set that up last night.

Today was the first full day with it... so far so good.

I will update this in a week or so and note our results.

I hope this works.

Just now, Reko said:

Finally, our dealer suggested going away from the Nethasp to software handling of the licensing... he said eventually, this is where everything is going to go anyway, so might as well get it installed now and maybe it would help.

Set that up last night.

Today was the first full day with it... so far so good.

I will update this in a week or so and note our results.

I hope this works.

The only headache I've had with the software licensing was updating the Codemeter software...what a PITA that was...all because MT wouldn't run....

Once that hurdle was cleared it's run rock solid but we have a robust network..

• Like 1

We have the problem of people leaving Mcam running when they leave work. I have to reboot their computer and then start Mcam and then exit Mcam before it releases their license. We are in the process of switching to the software license but it only supports 2019 and later.

And just for anyone wondering, this error message is the NetHasp equivalent of pulling out the sim. 

It isn't that someone else is using the license so you're being kicked off, it's "I've lost communication with your license server, so you're not allowed to work anymore."  As the others said, it's normally poor/congested/improperly prioritized network conditions that cause it, but it could be something silly like a flaky wire plugged into the computer or switch port or something. 

13 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

And just for anyone wondering, this error message is the NetHasp equivalent of pulling out the sim. 

It isn't that someone else is using the license so you're being kicked off, it's "I've lost communication with your license server, so you're not allowed to work anymore."  As the others said, it's normally poor/congested/improperly prioritized network conditions that cause it, but it could be something silly like a flaky wire plugged into the computer or switch port or something. 

O u t  o f  L i k e s  👍

32 minutes ago, pro grammer said:

Been through that. Same problems. No help from support.

We now have dongles again.

Sorry to hear that. 

Shout out to my dealer in Wixom, Michigan... Axsys Incorporated. :thumbsup:

They are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Five out of Five stars!!!!

I have been dealing with them for a long time... decades... and because I work at a local college tech department, I come in contact with dozens of people that have dealt with them too... and quite honestly... I have never heard one bad report... never... not once. They respond quickly to every request. Both sales and tech support are outstanding.

Some every knowledgeable people work there. IMHO, they are a world class company... and a benchmark for the industry.

I wish everyone had a great distributer like I do. :respect:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pro grammer said:

Been through that. Same problems. No help from support.

We now have dongles again.

We've been running nethasp for over a decade.. no problems .. no support required … ever.

we currently have 4 guys working from home, accessing  nethasp, Catia, Spaceclaim and Vericut licenses

via VPN... again with no problems.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with nethasp, it is the systems people run it on.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, gcode said:

We've been running nethasp for over a decade.. no problems .. no support required … ever.

we currently have 4 guys working from home, accessing  nethasp, Catia, Spaceclaim and Vericut licenses

via VPN... again with no problems.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with nethasp, it is the systems people run it on.

Yeah... just to be clear... I'm not necessarily denigrating the Nethap's... it just wasn't working for us.

We have a decent network too... so that's curious... and it was recently upgraded by a professional company that certifies networking for DoD and aerospace security... so it's not a mom-and-pop hack-job network server.

Day two with the Codemeter software licensing... no problems yet.

Fingers crossed. 🤞