Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The dumbest thing I have ever seen in a mastercam post

pro grammer

That's done by someone protecting their work. Why would that be arrogant or stupid?

Does the Post make good code for your machine? Is it a Post you paid for, or was it free?

Posts you paid for aren't necessarily made to make it easy for you to work on. That is buy design, and

Are you aware that putting those output statements inside a Post Block allows you to easily manipulate the code prior to output. For example, if you need to assign different ASCII Characters to the EOL output?

Maybe I've just seen a lot of Post Hacks, which are a lot worse than the Post Blocks you seem to have a problem with.

What is it exactly that bothers you about this? I don't see it as being much different than the structure for 'pxout' or 'pfxout'?

• Like 1

I have to agree with Colin.  I use postblocks whenever possible.  Then you can manipulate all outputs with one block.  Nice and clean.

I just so happen to use that very pfn to make my post output Mastercam op numebrs instead of ascending N numbers.  Very handy dandy.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2020 at 7:40 AM, pro grammer said:

pe              #End of line
      e$

pfe             #Forced end of line
      *e$

pn              #Line numbering
      n$

pfn             #Forced line numbering
      *n$

Yeah. This takes the cake for both arrogance and stupidity.

Then write your own post.

Helps from a coding standpoint to align sections to do certain behaviors. Also when using Machinesim tied to a post the logic might have to be different, but going to the method that was adopted above it might have helped them quickly get that implemented. I would also suspect it helped them lock up certain parts of their intellectual property that pirates love to exploit and use to not have to be legal and pay for what the rest of us legal users do pay for.

The poster was having a bad day and has a real chip on their shoulder having to use Mastercam as they have stated in other posts is my humble opinion.

Personally attacking a company trying to do their best job and feed their family was really uncalled for, but that seems to be the new normal now a days. I am guilty as charged for the same offense and apologize to any I have made bad or wrong comments about. :ermm:

• Like 4

Well, here is the way I look at it. The the biggest problem with american manufacturing is the inability to conform to a standard. Even though the entire world tries to conform to a standard (ISO)  machinists and software vendors refuse to get in line. They are completely dysfunctional. What the post writer is doing is refusing to conform to a standard that MC users have adopted to for a very long time. We "had" someone in our shop that was the same way. He refused to get in step and wanted to put his filthy fingers in everything. It would take him 5x longer than anyone else to do a setup and he always scrapped parts.

Now for those of you that may think that this has something to do with piracy...it does not. There is no way it could. One of the biggest problems with MC posts that I see is nobody can create a standard. Every time you have to edit one of these you must reeducate yourself as to what the current terminology will be ...this time around. It is a complete time waster and just flat our moronic.

Suppose I went down the street and changed all the lens colors on the stop light just because it was my preference. How well do you think that would work? Frankly, it is no wonder why american machinists can no longer compete in the world. They just do a lot of stupid stuff.

As for people who say I have a problem using MC? I disagree. I have a problem with all the bugs in MC.

BTW...I do write my own posts.

For the fella that cannot read posts, here is what is going on with this post:

e$

All that section of code does is rename the e$ function to "pe". Just renaming. that is it. And, that code can easily be locked as any other code to "avoid piracy".

Actually, this post did go exactly as I had planned.

2 minutes ago, pro grammer said:

Well, here is the way I look at it. The the biggest problem with american manufacturing is the inability to conform to a standard. Even though the entire world tries to conform to a standard (ISO)  machinists and software vendors refuse to get in line. They are completely dysfunctional. What the post writer is doing is refusing to conform to a standard that MC users have adopted to for a very long time. We "had" someone in our shop that was the same way. He refused to get in step and wanted to put his filthy fingers in everything. It would take him 5x longer than anyone else to do a setup and he always scrapped parts.

Now for those of you that may think that this has something to do with piracy...it does not. There is no way it could. One of the biggest problems with MC posts that I see is nobody can create a standard. Every time you have to edit one of these you must reeducate yourself as to what the current terminology will be ...this time around. It is a complete time waster and just flat our moronic.

Suppose I went down the street and changed all the lens colors on the stop light just because it was my preference. How well do you think that would work? Frankly, it is no wonder why american machinists can no longer compete in the world. They just do a lot of stupid stuff.

As for people who say I have a problem using MC? I disagree. I have a problem with all the bugs in MC.

BTW...I do write my own posts.

For the fella that cannot read posts, here is what is going on with this post:

e$

All that section of code does is rename the e$ function to "pe". Just renaming. that is it. And, that code can easily be locked as any other code to "avoid piracy".

Actually, this post did go exactly as I had planned.

Why don't we have one CAD software? One CAM Software? One machine builder? One car manufacture? One of just anything you want to name? World we live in so sorry you can see that it is our difference that make us who and what we are.

I serious doubt you wrote a post from scratch and defined all the logic and everything, but if you did then you can go into business and give it all away for free. Those not paying for their Mastercam will be come your new best friend.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Why don't we have one CAD software?

I won't read any more than your first line because I know where you are headed. Here is an example. Mastercam has a feature called "dynamic milling". Other companies have pretty much the same feature. Every company names their feature something else. Use the same wording. If mastercam has a feature called grooving would everyone else have to come up with a different name like "3 sided stock removal"? It's ridiculous. And, I completely understand why you guys fail to see the logic and automatically jump on the 16 year old, adolescent, insult wagon because you fail to strive for uniformity. I would imagine you personally have been machining for many years. You seem to have much skill. However, people such as you never strove to set a standard. That is why China is kicking your butts. To me it is arrogance. Everybody wants their finger prints all over every part of a workpiece. It is wasteful.

So, let me ask you this. How many fanuc controlled machines have you setup and operated? 100? Why is it that every manufacturer insists on putting the buttons (coolant, tailstock, whatever) in a different position? There is no excuse for it, other than arrogance or idiocy. I should be able to go from a Mori to a Kia to a Puma with a funuc control and have the same button in the same place.

Do you people even understand the philosophy of ISO or ANSI? If so why do you think that machinists are too good to follow the same mentality? Arrogance? It's kind of like every few years some brilliant, cubicle dweller at MC decides it time to change all the icons in an effort to fit in with the Jones'.

3 hours ago, pro grammer said:

I won't read any more than your first line because I know where you are headed. Here is an example. Mastercam has a feature called "dynamic milling". Other companies have pretty much the same feature. Every company names their feature something else. Use the same wording. If mastercam has a feature called grooving would everyone else have to come up with a different name like "3 sided stock removal"? It's ridiculous. And, I completely understand why you guys fail to see the logic and automatically jump on the 16 year old, adolescent, insult wagon because you fail to strive for uniformity. I would imagine you personally have been machining for many years. You seem to have much skill. However, people such as you never strove to set a standard. That is why China is kicking your butts. To me it is arrogance. Everybody wants their finger prints all over every part of a workpiece. It is wasteful.

So, let me ask you this. How many fanuc controlled machines have you setup and operated? 100? Why is it that every manufacturer insists on putting the buttons (coolant, tailstock, whatever) in a different position? There is no excuse for it, other than arrogance or idiocy. I should be able to go from a Mori to a Kia to a Puma with a funuc control and have the same button in the same place.

Do you people even understand the philosophy of ISO or ANSI? If so why do you think that machinists are too good to follow the same mentality? Arrogance? It's kind of like every few years some brilliant, cubicle dweller at MC decides it time to change all the icons in an effort to fit in with the Jones'.

I hear what your saying, but what is the ISO for CAD that all must follow? What is ANSI or ISO for CAM that all must follow? I have setup maybe only 85 different Fanuc controls over the years ranging from the T6 all the way up to the 32i. Why do other companies name the things they name them I have no clue. I have stood in front of 100's of different machines in my life and I would never expect a milling center to have the same exact buttons as a turning center, swiss, edm, grinding or others machines that don't preform the same type of work.

Thanks nice to be compared to a 16 year old. 🤣

Standardization is my job for a lot of companies as I have written the book for NIST/ISO/AS9100 processes and method used by many companies. Problem is not every one learns the same and not everyone understand things the same way. We can standardize something all day long, but seeing how I am left handed most of the right hand standards suck for me. Must I conform to them or do them as a left handed person does them? Sorry you got a bone to pick and you just don't see it. I wish you all the best and my method of helping people will still be the same and sorry it doesn't follow any ISO or AS9100 process in doing so.

Still say your original comment is out of line and very unprofessional.

• Like 3

I gave this so more thought and this situation reminds me of an old boss I use to work for. He cussed and yelled at everyone that worked for him. I was 19 and just transferred into his area. After about a month I had enough and complained to a couple of the other guys about it. They were union guys and were trying to get me fired and told him I was not happy with how he was talking and treating his workers. We were washing hands to go to lunch and he called me out on it. I told him he was rude and didn't know how to talk to people. There was no reason to be cussing at everyone yelling and screaming we all were working hard and doing our best to get our jobs done. I just point blank told him he didn't realize it because he had done it for so long and I was the only one willing to say anything about, but others felt the same exact way I did and were afraid to say anything because he was the boss.

He was different after that and some time later this woman came in to the shop and asked if I was who I was. I told her yes and she gave me a hug and thanked me for telling her husband about the way he talked to everyone. She said he didn't realize how bad he had gotten and she appreciated me telling him and he had changed. I quit not to long after that, but kept in touch with a couple of the guys and he had changed and got promoted to a high position because he changed the way he talked to people.

No one is perfect and sorry you feel like I was trying to belittle you, but again look at how this topic was started and what was posted. What are you trying to prove? You want to standardize things then offer up some suggestion gives some help and process to standardize things. I have offered up many suggestions and processes over the years on this forum to help people. I don't like it when someone think they can come in here and start trash posting and are going to get away with it. Call me whatever name makes you happy, but I am here to help Manufacturing and have put my money where my mouth is for many years. I have given thousands of hours to help people on this forum over the years! What have you given back to manufacturing? My name and contact is out in the open what about yours?

I have a saying so many want keys to the castle without wading through the mud to get to the castle. Sorry no drawbridge to get experience you either put in the time and work for it or complain because it is not how you like it. I have my share of issues with Mastercam and you are more than welcome to email QC and see how I go about getting issues addressed. This forum is to help and support Mastercam programmers. We have complaints and share them, but in a constructive and productive manner. Hopefully you get that and share your expertise and help many on this board or where ever you help others.

Hopefully you get the meaning of the post and understand I am not your enemy, but I will not stand by and tolerate what you started that was childish and uncalled for. 😐

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
15 hours ago, pro grammer said:

Even though the entire world tries to conform to a standard (ISO)  machinists and software vendors refuse to get in line. They are completely dysfunctional. What the post writer is doing is refusing to conform to a standard that MC users have adopted to for a very long time.

You obviously haven't seen my post either... :hrhr:

VERY difficult to standardize on something (example FANUC) when the MTB's don't standardize on installations...

• Like 1

This is an interesting read for sure, I am starting to look into providing some post support/standards, I do think the whole process could use some work...Like so many things...

19 hours ago, pro grammer said:

e$

This appears to do a bit more than rename e$.  It appers to allow the user to add a end of line string to every output line in one place.  For example if you wanted to add '*' to the end of every string you could do the following.

pe
	'*', e$

Even if the post isn't encrypted this seems to have value, no?

I'm not a post expert so I'll differ to you; objectively whats wrong with the above?  How would you handle this?

What standards would you like to see set in regards to MP posts? 

Software development is an art as much as it is a science; a standard in something so abstract seems like telling a painter they can only paint black circles on a white background.  How can innovation happen if everyone is required to do the same thing? 

• Like 6

Don't worry 5th axis. I am not a woman. It just bounces right off of me. I have learned a bit from your posts. I do not hold grudges like my wife does. I just believe people make some really bad choices in machine shops. American shops really need to pick up the pace when it comes to standardization. And, that should be coming downhill from machine manufacturers and software companies. When I write a post I try to standardize as much as possible. For instance: when I am importing variable from NCI parameters I use a special code. Leat us say parameter 10201 #3 (just as an example) I will convert the number to an easy to decipher variable. aoboa-13. If it is a string it would be saoboa-13. It makes troubleshooting so much easier. When I go to a fanuc lathe G76 is threading. Okuma is G71. Absolutely no standardization. When we hire a setup guy they first thing we do is beat him down and then build him up as to how we do things. Most of the time it works. But, when it works everything runs more smoothly and gets along better once the egos and the "I used to do" are chucked.

23 hours ago, pro grammer said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(deep breath)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(deep breath)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Haha 1
On 3/24/2020 at 7:34 PM, pro grammer said:

Mastercam has a feature called "dynamic milling". Other companies have pretty much the same feature. Every company names their feature something else. Use the same wording. If mastercam has a feature called grooving would everyone else have to come up with a different name like "3 sided stock removal"? It's ridiculous.

I would imagine you personally have been machining for many years. You seem to have much skill. However, people such as you never strove to set a standard.

That is why China is kicking your butts. To me it is arrogance.

Why is it that every manufacturer insists on putting the buttons (coolant, tailstock, whatever) in a different position? There is no excuse for it, other than arrogance or idiocy. I should be able to go from a Mori to a Kia to a Puma with a funuc control and have the same button in the same place.

So, seriously (although i did seriously laugh at what you wrote :D)

#1 Dynamic milling

It's revolutionized metal cutting. THE biggest thing in a whole lotta years. Of course the marketing dept for all softwares will call their version by its own name and say theirs is the best.

#2  5th Axis

You don't know him very well do you? Ron is all about systems and process.

#3 China kicking butt.

What can be said that hasn't been said before regarding wages, gov paid for mtl, gov assisted shipping blah blah blah.

#4 Button positions

Well that's down to the manufacturer.  I've had sequential serial number identical machines delivered, where the parameters and PLC were very different. I know of one company which had a millturn where C+ was clockwise, and machine #2 it went CCW.  I've worked a hori where the table rotation was C (instead of B).  Oh,  and you should standardise your spelling of Fanuc (not Funuc)... :rolleyes:

#5 ISO philosophy

So what are we talking here? What philosophy are you suggesting? Are you suggesting that everyone needs ISO9001 because in following the 8x mandated requirements, it will make all businesses the same?

I don't think so - see attached...

Capture.JPG

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, pro grammer said:

Don't worry 5th axis. I am not a woman. It just bounces right off of me. I have learned a bit from your posts. I do not hold grudges like my wife does. I just believe people make some really bad choices in machine shops. American shops really need to pick up the pace when it comes to standardization. And, that should be coming downhill from machine manufacturers and software companies. When I write a post I try to standardize as much as possible. For instance: when I am importing variable from NCI parameters I use a special code. Leat us say parameter 10201 #3 (just as an example) I will convert the number to an easy to decipher variable. aoboa-13. If it is a string it would be saoboa-13. It makes troubleshooting so much easier. When I go to a fanuc lathe G76 is threading. Okuma is G71. Absolutely no standardization. When we hire a setup guy they first thing we do is beat him down and then build him up as to how we do things. Most of the time it works. But, when it works everything runs more smoothly and gets along better once the egos and the "I used to do" are chucked.

The irony here is killing me..  here we are in the middle of a 3 page lecture  on "standardization" and this entire post explains how you have customized

your posts to fit your needs. While there is nothing wrong with this , it is NOT standardization. It also demonstrates the power of Mastercam's post language

as most CAM packages will not allow you to modify your posts like this.  Many of them requires a dealer's license and specialized software to even open

them up and take a look.

• Like 6
Just now, gcode said:

The irony here is killing me..  here we are in the middle of a 3 page lecture  on "standardization" and this entire post explains how you have customized

your posts to fit your needs. While there is nothing wrong with this , it is NOT standardization. It also demonstrates the power of Mastercam's post language

as most CAM packages will no allow you to modify your posts like this.  Many of them requires a dealer's license and specialized software to even open them up and

take a look.

well. It is standardization because MC has yet to make a standard. Just a mess :;

Just now, Leon82 said:

Robodrills have the spindle button near the door button.

I lost an indicator once

Hahaha!

On my Chevaliers, the Green was go and the Red was feed hold.

On my Leadwell, Red was power off.

And the buttons were in an identical place...

2 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Hahaha!

On my Chevaliers, the Green was go and the Red was feed hold.

On my Leadwell, Red was power off.

And the buttons were in an identical place...

My old boss leaned up against the control on our 2xi and shut it off in the middle of a cut. LOL

• Haha 2
48 minutes ago, pro grammer said:

well. It is standardization because MC has yet to make a standard. Just a mess :;

it's standardization for you, anyone else would call it customization... and as I said before...

there is nothing wrong with that.

If MC posts were "standardized" they'd also be locked and people would complain because they couldn't edit them.

We have 30 or 40 different s posts here...some are mpmaster based, some are purchased... but not one of them is

out of the box stock

• Like 2