Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The dumbest thing I have ever seen in a mastercam post

pro grammer

5 hours ago, pro grammer said:

What seems to be out of the box stock its turning on xcoolant before a tool change. Somebody there needs to go run a fanuc machine for once.

This comes from the Default Settings in the Mastercam Default Operations Files.

By "default" this ".Mastercam-defaults" file (there is only 1 default), always "pulls" the coolant settings from "MPFAN.PST". Why? Because that is Machine Definition that is "tied to the Ops file".

You have the ability to create a "separate default Operations File", for each machine that you have a MD/CD/PST Combo for. This gives you the ability to have "default settings" which are tweaked for each of your machine preferences.

If you want all Operations to default to "Coolant After", then you need to edit each Operation in the "Operations Defaults" file. Pretty simple to have these all set to "After", but it also depends on what coolant options you have on the machine.

The default for MPFAN is to use "V9 Style Coolant", not "X-Style Coolant". For that reason, I recommend making an individual copy of the Operations Defaults File, for each machine, and then going through and editing each Operation Type to use the correct default settings.

Yeah, it is a lot of work. But it also gives you a ton of control over exactly what your output is.

I have been in 100's of shops, and the only thing I can tell you that is common throughout them all is this: there is no "official standard" for how parts or machines are run. Everyone thinks their system is either "perfect" or it is "totally messed up".

I happen to think customization is healthy, as it gives you the ability to control exactly what your code output looks like.

Like a great majority of users who first start learning Mastercam; you are going to be frustrated that the system doesn't work "like you think it should". I can tell you that the more you embrace how the software is built, and learn how to control it instead of fighting with it, the more efficient you'll be at generating good clean code.

• Like 6

Note that when you create an "individual Operation Defaults File", you will need to open each file, and immediately do a "Replace" on the Machine Definition. Replace MPFAN with *your machine name*. This means that you will load the "Miscellaneous Integer and Real Number Text Strings", the "Drill Cycle Names and Parameters", "Coolant Settings" , and the "Canned Text Strings", into your Operation Defaults File. That way you can tweak each individual "default operation type" to have the settings you want to be "pre-set", each time you create a new Operation.

Need more flexibility than that?

If yes > Then just create several different "Operation Defaults Files". I like to do them sometimes by "material type". That way I get "Flood and/or Thru Spindle Coolant" default settings for cutting Aluminum, but for Hardened Steels, I can set the defaults to "External Air Blast, or Thru Spindle Air". I can have a mix of Coolant/Air output, depending on what kind of tool or operation I'm performing.

These files are listed under "Machine Group Properties" when you bring in a new Machine into your Mastercam File. Once the machine (MD/CD/PST) has been loaded, you are free to select a "different Operation Defaults File", depending on your needs.

29 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I happen to think customization is healthy, as it gives you the ability to control exactly what your code output looks like.

Another way to look at this is, that customization is healthy as long as it reduces the amount of work you need to do to get work out the door.

• Like 2

One of the main reasons I use Mastercam is because it allows programming dept. to tune itself to the problem at hand.

Although we are an aerospace job shop, we make a specialized product, swaged tubes with a gazillion derivatives.

Our machining problems are not the same as a typical structural hog out shop and our code and machine set ups reflect that,... customization.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Peter from S.C.C.C. said:

Oh my gish that is terrible!:wallbash:I heard from a friend he rescued his electronics from something similar by drowning it in water and soap.. Havent had the chance to try myself...

Per an EE friend who talked about the same sort of contamination: 

If you're going to try this, be sure to use distilled water (well, at least to clean it out before drying).  Emergency triage procedure would be to yank anything powered or mechanical out as fast as possible (battery/charger/ hard drive, etc), get it in a bath of the closest water source (probably tap water) with a surfacant like Dawn to get the coolant oils out before it has a chance to dry to a film, and then rinse it in a bath of distilled water (so there's no impurities to corrode the connections).  You really don't want "normal" water drying on the electronics, that will cause corrosion.   Then dry for at least 3 days longer than you think it needs.

Note that you're still likely to lose something with a platter hard drive and likely to lose something with a LCD like a laptop screen, as water intrusion of any sort (coolant or not) is likely to kill them.  The good news is that splash damage likely didn't take out the hard drive or LCD, so pull the hard drive and wipe the screen off and don't immerse it.

And it's still not a guaranteed save, of course :)

On 3/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, pro grammer said:

American shops really need to pick up the pace when it comes to standardization.

When I go to a fanuc lathe G76 is threading. Okuma is G71. 

You're saying American shops need to do a better job of standardization...

Then you call out two controls of Japanese origination that lack said standardization...

In a roundabout way I think you're saying everyone should buy Haas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Remember that Standardisation (you know, the *correct* English way of spelling it :D) is a wonderful thing.

If only people would do it!

Except for that BS microsoft ribbon interface... :P

:hrhr:

There's no way I'm ever going to call the trunk of my car the boot

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Except for that BS microsoft ribbon interface... 

The Microsoft Ribbon interface is fail, it just isn't efficient.

^In this Mastercam video, I tried using it and when I select the geometry using the  yellow button it changes  tabs! This adds an extra click to get back to the tab I want basically I have to use tiny icons on the Qat for everything, or spend half my life choosing tabs..

7 minutes ago, David Colin said:

I guess this is because of  'smart' Tool tabs which have been implemented in Mastercam 2020. You can deactivate that useless thing...

:o Please tell me how...

On 3/27/2020 at 2:05 PM, Peter from S.C.C.C. said:

The Microsoft Ribbon interface is fail, it just isn't efficient.

^In this Mastercam video, I tried using it and when I select the geometry using the  yellow button it changes  tabs! This adds an extra click to get back to the tab I want basically I have to use tiny icons on the Qat for everything, or spend half my life choosing tabs..

These are the "Tools" tabs and I detest them as well for the same reason.  You can turn them off:

image.png.bb2bd1e31643f57275b8eec8797fba91.png

8 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

These are the "Tools" tabs and I detest them as well for the same reason.  You can turn them off:

image.png.bb2bd1e31643f57275b8eec8797fba91.png

Cam we put our own tabs in there instead of the tools tab?

On 3/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, nperry said:

You're saying American shops need to do a better job of standardization...

Then you call out two controls of Japanese origination that lack said standardization...

In a roundabout way I think you're saying everyone should buy Haas?

Well, if you are desperately trying to twist the comment in an an effort to try and "look" witty I suppose you can look at it whichever way you like. I understand your need...completely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 8:44 PM, cncappsjames said:

Standards... I wish the Heidenheins, Fidias, Siemens, Mazatroll, Okuma, etc... all conformed to FANUC. They should. I mean, FANUC does own over 2/3 of the motion control industry. :coffee:

😜

:

How about here in North America we declare imperial standard obsolete, and we stop using it, because the majority of people on this planet use a better and more simple system called metric. 

• Like 3