Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Odd Okuma 5 axis toolpath

dwilson357

Hello,

I have run into an odd issue with my Okuma MU6300VL

I am doing a pretty straight forward contour, the machine however is putting out XYZ info for each move, the backplot shows weird 3d Circular interpolationmoves and the code posting seems to be reflecting this action as well.

You can see the funky toolpath in the attached JPG

Any Ideas what could be causing this?

image.thumb.png.d6ed73a12fe4428c9f279607596f3086.png

Check your Axis Combination and make sure you Spindle Origin is grabbing the correct Plane. May have to make a new plane for the correct WCS if you are using a different WCS than the top place. I see different LMD in the same file and this is what normally creates this issue. Doable, but you have to really be on top of your planes and axis combinations when using more than one group in Lathe.

One group should be the top side.

The other would be the Bottom, with a Lathe plane to coincide with each.

When you refer to axis combos you mean cooradtinating the turning plane the correct way to coincide with your milling "top plane"?

What baffles me is the ghosted turning ops(hidden by the window) post as you would expect and worked fine.

You don't need different groups to do upper and lower on the same part. You can have 4 turrets defines in one operation group and program it all day long with no issues. Only time I would even think about a new group would be if I am doing roughing in one group and finishing in another and wanted to keep everything in one file.

Yes Axis combination tell Mastercam which turret is doing what. You will normally get an upper left, lower left when working on the main spindle with an upper and lower turret. Same applies to the sub spindle where you will get an upper right and an lower right turret plane. I have done contour head work on parts and that is where I may have 3-10 Lathe Lathe groups to define each Contour head operation being preformed on different areas of a part when done a HBM that has this capability. I like to assign Zero to one place for work being preformed. You can have as many different tools as you need for that zero, but when we start needing different features or even places machine then it changes. This is not like your situation, but just trying to let you know how powerful Mastercam is when you approach it certain ways.

1 hour ago, dwilson357 said:

Any Ideas what could be causing this?

Looks like it could be an offset issue.

Make sure your Tool info is coherent, in other words is it a left or right hand tool and do I have the correct offset direction for the cut I am making. Not being correct in this regard gives the output you are seeing.

36 minutes ago, dwilson357 said:

image.thumb.png.2060ea5e0cf175b460d4fdfdb7084ecc.png

I am not seeing a ton of flexibility to change anything in the the axis combo/spindle origin box.

Fwiw I'm totally new to 5 axis turning, 5 axis milling on this thing has been awesome, but this is the first complex turning part I've tried to do over here.

Right click and create new plane and then drive it using that plane and see if it fixes you issue, if not I agree with Nickbe might be a tool setting issue. Without a file going to be a lot of things to see what could be creating your issue. Have you tried reaching out to your dealer?

So right click new plane resolved the issue, but it produce a plane that was identical to what I had already. Regardless I am happy its working.

Our dealer hasn't got back to me and  its been a few days so I think Covid-19 Is having an affect on our service(In in Albany Ny, I believe their in Rochester)

4 hours ago, dwilson357 said:

So right click new plane resolved the issue, but it produce a plane that was identical to what I had already. Regardless I am happy its working.

Our dealer hasn't got back to me and  its been a few days so I think Covid-19 Is having an affect on our service(In in Albany Ny, I believe their in Rochester)

Yes it can get really weird with the planes and more than one machine group in a lathe file. I will normal rename them after they are created. Have Upper Left Turret OP1 then Upper Left Turret OP2 or I will name the LUT(Left Upper Turret) OP1, RUT(Right Upper Turret) OP1, RLT(Right Lower Turret) OP1, LLT(Left Lower Turret) OP1. Then as I am making the turning operations and can work for there. The other thing is to pay attention to the Stock plane for the new machine group make sure it is correct and updated anytime you start messing with the WCS.