Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Definition

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up the simulation for a TR-160 Trunnion on a VF6. When I open my machine definition to set my rotary axis the levels disappear. I want to select an entity to do this, but since the levels are gone I can't chose my trunnion. 

What am I doing wrong?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

I got it. I didn't set the machine def. I used to be able to do this in Mastercam for Solidworks, but it works differently in the native Mastercam application. I did set my machine up in the machine simulation. 

I'm not having a problem with the tool crashing into the part, but it's not being recognized as a crash for some reason. I can't figure out how to fix it.

Capture.PNG

4 minutes ago, Wargo said:

I got it. I didn't set the machine def. I used to be able to do this in Mastercam for Solidworks, but it works differently in the native Mastercam application. I did set my machine up in the machine simulation. 

I'm not having a problem with the tool crashing into the part, but it's not being recognized as a crash for some reason. I can't figure out how to fix it.

Capture.PNG

Need ot make sure you have set your collisions correctly in the Machinesim.

19 hours ago, Wargo said:

But that wouldn't fix the toolpath correct?

Need to make sure the toolpath is really the problem. Where back plotting the toolpath and being able to see it in your brain become very important if you don't know for 100% certainty Machinesim is giving you what you expect. I just build every machine I work on in my head and can visualize all the kinematics and movements. I can pretty much look at a backplot and see what that motion will look like on the machine. I use machine sim to verify that, but will run CAV to feel confident what I am sending to the floor is what I except. I have run 800 hours of programs and never once have to hand edit the code for one part. Speeds and feeds were close enough to what was needed the Machinist just watched to make sure all was good and ran the programs. Customer is still making the same part 4 years later with the program and process originally laid out. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Need to make sure the toolpath is really the problem. Where back plotting the toolpath and being able to see it in your brain become very important if you don't know for 100% certainty Machinesim is giving you what you expect. I just build every machine I work on in my head and can visualize all the kinematics and movements. I can pretty much look at a backplot and see what that motion will look like on the machine. I use machine sim to verify that, but will run CAV to feel confident what I am sending to the floor is what I except. I have run 800 hours of programs and never once have to hand edit the code for one part. Speeds and feeds were close enough to what was needed the Machinist just watched to make sure all was good and ran the programs. Customer is still making the same part 4 years later with the program and process originally laid out. 

I ran it through verify as well and the "crashes" are not there. What would that tell you?

3 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

I bet he defined his machine in Inch....  Don't you have to do it in metric for collision detection to work properly?

I gave up on making my own machine. I found a good video on Youtube to set up the machine, but in doing so found a way to use the generic 5 axis machine with my setup. 

1 minute ago, Wargo said:

I ran it through verify as well and the "crashes" are not there. What would that tell you?

Sike, The stock model shows those crashes. I'm not sure why the tool would rapid through the part though. I'm not understanding this.

1 minute ago, Wargo said:

Trust your instincts. Look at the code in question and see does the move in question that is crashing in Machinesim support a crash to show it is false. When I see a tool crashing into a part in between move in Machinesim and the Gc0de has G912G29Z0 then I can feel confident Machine sim is wrong. To test I will run each operation one at a time in question through Machinesim. they don't crash then that also leads to be believe it is a false collisions. Facts are facts and gather the correct amount of facts and then you able to make a good decision.

All that said never trust any program even ones run through a CAV 100%. You will only know with 100% certainty a program is a 100% once it is been completely run.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wargo said:

Sike, The stock model shows those crashes. I'm not sure why the tool would rapid through the part though. I'm not understanding this.

Cannot trust stock models either they are not kinematic aware. I have to break up stock models anytime I am doing RAH or ID work on part. Not doing so gives Mastercam a fit on some toolpaths and stock models will fail miserably.

1 minute ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Trust your instincts. Look at the code in question and see does the move in question that is crashing in Machinesim support a crash to show it is false. When I see a tool crashing into a part in between move in Machinesim and the Gc0de has G912G29Z0 then I can feel confident Machine sim is wrong. To test I will run each operation one at a time in question through Machinesim. they don't crash then that also leads to be believe it is a false collisions. Facts are facts and gather the correct amount of facts and then you able to make a good decision.

All that said never trust any program even ones run through a CAV 100%. You will only know with 100% certainty a program is a 100% once it is been completely run.

That makes sense. Thank you for the input. I'm very new to 5 axis programming so everything is a bit of a learning curve.

Just now, Wargo said:

That makes sense. Thank you for the input. I'm very new to 5 axis programming so everything is a bit of a learning curve.

Glad to help I have been around Multi axis programming for almost 3 decades and 5 axis programming for almost 2 decades.

I wrote my 1st 4th Axis CAM die using an old SNK programmable Indexer that used M-Codes from the machine to start and stop the indexer. I had to write my programs with dwells in them to sync the movement of the machine to the index speed of the 4th Axis. It was a lot of work, but I was cutting parts no one else could cut back then using some common sense.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Glad to help I have been around Multi axis programming for almost 3 decades and 5 axis programming for almost 2 decades.

I wrote my 1st 4th Axis CAM die using an old SNK programmable Indexer that used M-Codes from the machine to start and stop the indexer. I had to write my programs with dwells in them to sync the movement of the machine to the index speed of the 4th Axis. It was a lot of work, but I was cutting parts no one else could cut back then using some common sense.

just make sure no knucklehead turns the feed override dial..

lol

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Wargo said:

For this specific toolpath I'm only indexing the A&B axis, so I left the the "no rotation" box checked.

Do you need to create a linking move between the passes? are you setting your backplot to end point or interpolate? Endpoints can be deceiving and by switching to interpolate you can see if linking moves are what is creating your collisions.

Hmmm. Good thought. Let me try that out. I got the Optirough toolpath to stop crashing, but there are a couple swarf toolpaths that decide to plunge through the part as it indexes. I'd imagine that may be why.