Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardware recommendation

Chris Lemerond

We run MC 2020.   We do multi axis programming including 5 Axis, Modeling and Assemblies.    We just purchased a new computer Dell 3630 I7-9700, 8 core  12MB Cache 3 Ghz, with a NVIDIA P2200.  Pretty much what Mastercam recommends for a base model.

Problem is on the Modeling and Assemblies  or Multi Axis programming the graphics are not there (pixelated)  and the computer starts sucking wind.   

Three things I ask.

1.  My thought is to upgrade the NVIDIA P2200 to an NVIDIA P4000 any thought s on if that would fix things ?

2.  Can anyone recommend some specs that will give us the horse power we need ?   

3.  Would a single NVIDIA card be enough or should we get two  as I'm told when resource on top GPU  is utilized the  second one will be used.

Thanks,

Chris - Bayside Machine - Green Bay WI

www.baysidemachine.com

How large are the assembly files that you have open? This could have a serious impact on performance.

Also as said above, how much RAM, and is it fast RAM?

I would get the best Quadro card that they will buy. P4000 would be the minimum, I have one and even that won't handle large assemblies all too well when rotating the screen.

Are you sure Mastercam is utilizing the dedicated graphics card? Have you forced it to do so in the Nvidia manager?

What are the average sizes of these files? Of the toolpaths?

A single high end graphics card is always going to be a lot better than two SLI-bridged lower end cards. Even for gaming purposes at home where I have all the time in the world to troubleshoot driver issues and play with hardware, I would never go with a dual GPU solution. 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

Are you sure Mastercam is utilizing the dedicated graphics card? Have you forced it to do so in the Nvidia manager?

What are the average sizes of these files? Of the toolpaths?

A single high end graphics card is always going to be a lot better than two SLI-bridged lower end cards. Even for gaming purposes at home where I have all the time in the world to troubleshoot driver issues and play with hardware, I would never go with a dual GPU solution. 

I would also suggest ensuring mastercam is using the right Graphics card because this is a pretty common problem to have is to be running the wrong graphics card. I have even seen connections from the external monitor to the pc cause issues if the monitor is only plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card properly. 

For more info on how to ensure you are using the right graphics card you can do a search in mastercams knowledge base for GPU and it should be like the first article for enabling dedicated graphics.

• Like 1

For all that asked the amount of RAM is 32 GB.        Glad to hear that one good card is better than two, so I'm now ruling that out.   -  If After making sure the graphics card is being utilized properly  I will upgrade to an NVIDIA P4000.

if anyone doing high end stuff like this could share their specs that would be helpful too.

Thanks All !!!

1 hour ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Mastercam on my QAT no ribbons for me.

:rofl: There are few who do!!

22 hours ago, Chris Lemerond said:

(pixelated)  and the computer starts sucking wind

Question 1 -> Do you allocate 100% Ram to your Mastercam?

Question 2-> Do you have more tban 1 graphics card?

One thing to be aware of with Dell's in the Bios you have to turn off the onboard graphics card to use Mastercam to it fullest. You can do every hack in the book on the OS side, but until you turn off the On Board in the Bios it will not help. I have a Dell 7740 128gb i9-9980HK over clocked at 5ghz running a RTX-5000 16gb Video card and until I tuned off the On Board process in the Bios this thing was struggling with Mastercam. Once I did then it acted like I expected. I did Tech Support for Verisurf which is a add on that run inside of Mastercam. This one thing and the correct User Permissions needed in the Program Files are the 2 biggest things I have found allow Mastercam to run to it's best. 

• Thanks 1