Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardware questions for Mastercam

Metallic

Hey everyone, hope you are all safe during the covid-19 outbreak.

This will be a 2 part question.

So I am working from hope, VPNing into my workhorse desktop machine at work using my old Lenovo i7 laptop.

SADLY I cannot get my 3DConnexion mouse to work properly. Has anyone here successfully piped into a remote desktop and used their 3D mouse?! I have updated drivers on everything. Thank you!

Part 2: I am considering saving up for a new home laptop OR workstation (desktop). What are people's thoughts on running GeForce graphics cards on laptops? Do you strictly recommend the Quadro series, and if so, why? What is the minimum price level that would give reasonable output performance for say, complex surfacing like Hybrid Finishing?

Part 2 of Part 2...If I can figure out the 3D mouse thing, do I even need a beefy laptop for power using, or could I just buy a more standard model like the HP Spectre 15" and pipe into my workhorse remotely?

Thank you for your time!

Any chance you can tote your work desktop home? That's what my work set us up to do in case of shutdown, but we are currently deemed critical workforce. Could be more of a pain if you don't have monitors or anything setup at home like I do, but  saved them from having to buy me a laptop. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jwvt88 said:

Any chance you can tote your work desktop home? That's what my work set us up to do in case of shutdown, but we are currently deemed critical workforce. Could be more of a pain if you don't have monitors or anything setup at home like I do, but  saved them from having to buy me a laptop. 

I could do this possibly yes, but IMO its not worth it since I can get by without the 3D mouse. I do have a 4k monitor here though.

For the second question, Im mainly asking about if a hardcore laptop is needed or not. Still trying to sift through all the details with processors and graphics.

Thanks!

Desktop beats laptop unless you absolutely need the portability.  Geforce cards are find until you get into big, complicated models, or unless you need Solidworks simulation functions.  I pick my CPU based on this list:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

An SSD and plenty of RAM (probably 64GB these days) make a big difference.

6 hours ago, Metallic said:

... I can get by without the 3D mouse. ...

😮

I can't even do CAD without my 3D Connexion device. I mean I guess I could but I would be far less efficient.

I just put an MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 TI w/ 4GB in my kid's gaming rig. I'll install Mastercam on it Thursday (new i7 chip comes then... right now it's  only an i3) and we'll see what happens.

Running a rig with an NVMe drive instead of an HDD, plus 32GB of RAM will help with performance. 

10 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

I just put an MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 TI w/ 4GB in my kid's gaming rig.

That's possibly one of the best cards dollar to performance value that has ever been made when it comes to gaming. It's a great card.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Metallic said:

I can get by without the 3D mouse

How?  I have 2 just in case one goes bad.  I can't go one day without it.  If i don't have it i just stop and look around like a deer in headlights.  I'm thinking about even getting a backup to the backup 😀

I work from home 100% and i use a laptop (see sig).  Even though i dont go mobile often.  When i do it works perfect

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 4/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, Programinator said:

How?  I have 2 just in case one goes bad.  I can't go one day without it.  If i don't have it i just stop and look around like a deer in headlights.  I'm thinking about even getting a backup to the backup 😀

I work from home 100% and i use a laptop (see sig).  Even though i dont go mobile often.  When i do it works perfect

Mainly because I have to...i explained my situation in the OP and my current laptop is running low low end GeForce graphics so it is kind of laughable to try and have my normal workflow. Its either "have a really terrible laggy awful workflow that will prob crash" VS "solid, reliable, smooth workflow that is rock solid, minus the 3D mouse capability". I also can't run Vericut locally on my machine here because we have it setup on a license server at work and the only way to access it is VPN. Such is my situation

The good news is that my job is considering high power laptops in the $3K range (quadro) for all staff that require them. So that's something. Itll take forever to get that if/when it happens.

Thanks