Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam over VPN

nevets

I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong category. 

We have a network license for mastercam. Due to the whole corona situation, I would like to set it up where a user could access it from home through VPN. However, the program is not detecting the network license through the VPN. I found a few threads regarding this situation and they suggested making modifications to the nethasp.ini file. I tried that but I'm still running into the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Not an IT expert by any stretch...but having a well-working network is certainly a pre-requisite.  Can you ping the remote license machine from home?  My VPN is a 'gateway to gateway' so may cause things to be different than other VPN setups.  

I 'simply' add the IP address of the remote server on my home PC nethasp.ini file.  (located in D:\Program Files\Mastercam 2020\Mastercam in my case).   Not 100 % certain...but I'd make sure you place the entry in the right section of the file...

[NH_TCPIP]

NH_SERVER_ADDR = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  <----Your server remote LAN IP address here...

I cannot remember if I had to open any ports or change firewall rules - gut says no - but then again it's one of those things ya set and move on. If I can manage to remember, I'll check tomorrow.

8 hours ago, SN_MCam_User said:

NH_SERVER_ADDR = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  <----Your server remote LAN IP address here.

the default nethasp.ini file has 2 semicolons in front of this line

;; NH_SERVER_ADDR = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  <----Your server remote LAN IP address here...

they must be removed or the line will be ignored

also 

if you are having trouble, this first step is to be sure you can ping the license server from the remote PC

if you can't, that problem must be solved first 

• Like 1

Good point on the double-semicolon removal - I wrote it but forgot to highlight the fact that needs to be "uncommented" or it wont work.

In addition - I'm not showing that I had to open anything up on the firewalls we've got setup here...there are hasp app permissions for a domain network checked...but i don't know that we had to manually set any of that.

18 hours ago, SN_MCam_User said:

Not an IT expert by any stretch...but having a well-working network is certainly a pre-requisite.  Can you ping the remote license machine from home?  My VPN is a 'gateway to gateway' so may cause things to be different than other VPN setups.  

I 'simply' add the IP address of the remote server on my home PC nethasp.ini file.  (located in D:\Program Files\Mastercam 2020\Mastercam in my case).   Not 100 % certain...but I'd make sure you place the entry in the right section of the file...

[NH_TCPIP]

NH_SERVER_ADDR = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  <----Your server remote LAN IP address here...

I cannot remember if I had to open any ports or change firewall rules - gut says no - but then again it's one of those things ya set and move on. If I can manage to remember, I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks, I do have the NH_SERVER_ADDR pointing to the correct IP address. Everything appears fine as far as the VPN goes. I'm able to ping and access shared folders.

18 hours ago, gcode said:

Did you open the nethasp.exe file and set it to network

It is set to network, not local

10 hours ago, gcode said:

the default nethasp.ini file has 2 semicolons in front of this line

;; NH_SERVER_ADDR = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  <----Your server remote LAN IP address here...

they must be removed or the line will be ignored

also 

if you are having trouble, this first step is to be sure you can ping the license server from the remote PC

if you can't, that problem must be solved first 

I removed both semi colons but it's still not able to locate the license server. Pinging works fine. thank you

nethasp settings.PNG

ok..  the nethasp.ini files needs to be here

"C:\Program Files\Mastercam 2020\Mastercam\nethasp.ini"

and there has to be a copy in the root of each Mastercam install

the same file will work for any version of MC... but it must be in the root of that version

If all that is correct I'd look at the log files for your antivirus software and see if it is blocking something

or just shut you AV off and see if you can connect to the license

also make sure the ini file is still an ini file

I have seen cases where the ini file is opened in Notepad, edited then saved as txt

33 minutes ago, gcode said:

ok..  the nethasp.ini files needs to be here

"C:\Program Files\Mastercam 2020\Mastercam\nethasp.ini"

and there has to be a copy in the root of each Mastercam install

the same file will work for any version of MC... but it must be in the root of that version

If all that is correct I'd look at the log files for your antivirus software and see if it is blocking something

or just shut you AV off and see if you can connect to the license

also make sure the ini file is still an ini file

I have seen cases where the ini file is opened in Notepad, edited then saved as txt

Hey I really appreciate the quick response! The file is in the right location and the file name is just "nethasp", but the type of file is still .ini as shown in the picture.

As for the AV, the computer I'm testing with currently does not have one.

nethasp locationn.PNG

1 hour ago, nevets said:

Hey I really appreciate the quick response! The file is in the right location and the file name is just "nethasp", but the type of file is still .ini as shown in the picture.

nethasp locationn.PNG

my next guess would be that the firewall at your office is not allowing a remote copy of nethasp.exe to access the license server

18 hours ago, nevets said:

in that case Windows Firewall is guarding the door

It is not nearly as 3rd party friendly as commercial AV software

You probably need to go to the WIndows Firewall settings and give permission for nethasp.exe to access remote servers