Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Optirough and tilt holder to avoid gouge

Mikew8190

3 hours ago, Mikew8190 said:

Hello, using mastercam 2018 with multi axis. Can I use tilt holder to avoid gouge in the dynamic optirough toolpath? There doesn’t seem to be a way to convert to 5 axis either. 

No I will do a few different things as I need to when I need this ability. Multi-Axis roughing it limited to certain shapes, but does do a good job for the correct shape. 

19 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

No I will do a few different things as I need to when I need this ability. Multi-Axis roughing it limited to certain shapes, but does do a good job for the correct shape. 

To build on this a bit, although technically you COULD use Convert to 5 axis on an opti, but the problem you have is that it won't be controlling whether you tilt into stock that will be removed in the future, i.e., it'll only be tilting to avoid drive & check surfaces, not the material that exists at that particular moment in cut.   That's why it's not enabled like the other Finishing toolpaths.

The big difference is that Multiaxis Roughing (2020 or before, in 2021 it's now the "Multiaxis Pocketing" toolpath with additional capabilities) is always normal to a floor, meaning that it won't support undercuts (in 2020 or before).  Because it's always normal to the floor, you know where all the previous material was removed and there's no surprises about the tool contacting stock.   In 2021, this problem is solved by only allowing undercuts with an offset pattern (not Dynamic), so you always know which way you came from.

If you do want to be successful with Multiaxis Roughing, I highly recommend using stock (so it knows where to remove material) and to make a single floor surface so it will always have a logical direction to be normal to.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

If you do want to be successful with Multiaxis Roughing, I highly recommend using stock (so it knows where to remove material) and to make a single floor surface so it will always have a logical direction to be normal to.

Thanks for the this Tip Aaron!