Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Move in ARC

johnr4mbo

Hi,

I'm trying to drill 9 holes in a diameter of 319.5mm.

I use a normal drill operation.

But i want it to move from hole to hole in an arc movement since there is still material in the middle which is higher , atm it's doing that in a straight line.

now i need to retract my tool 100mm everything time it travels from hole to hole.

I hope you guys understand my poor english. xD

Thanks,

Rick

You will probably  have to do it with each hole as individual ops and add a contour move at high feed rate between each one.  Otherwise you will have to create a macro that would do it for you.

If you have multiaxis mc license, you might be able to use that to drive different behavior, but I doubt it will be as effective or straighforward.

I am assuming this is on a fanuc control?

4 hours ago, johnr4mbo said:

it's fanuc yes.

Haas UMC 750SS

Welp!  Ummm sir Haas machines would not have a fanuc control.  They have a Haas control!  Close for most, but definitely not the same thing.

2 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Drilling with Safety Zone of a cylinder should do it with no problem. Here is the link to an example I put together to show anyone.

Have to use Solid holes to achieve this toolpath. Arcs, lines planes or points and it will not work.

5th Axis File Saftery Zone Cylinder Example 2020

ron, that would be fine drilling the outside of a cylinder.  But I believe the application he is referring to is drilling a bolt circle axial to the cylinder.  Think avoiding the center of a wheel hub while drilling from the front side.

41 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Welp!  Ummm sir Haas machines would not have a fanuc control.  They have a Haas control!  Close for most, but definitely not the same thing.

ron, that would be fine drilling the outside of a cylinder.  But I believe the application he is referring to is drilling a bolt circle axial to the cylinder.  Think avoiding the center of a wheel hub while drilling from the front side.

Then yes that is incorrect and would have to use one of the suggestions noted above. Why it has to travel in arc I assume to to avoid the center piece. I have done what others have suggested and drilling one hole then use 2D with no comp to follow the arc from one hole to the next.

1 hour ago, So not a Guru said:

Couldn't this be done by drilling a single hole and creating a Transform-rotate operation?

I don't think it will create the arc move around the center boss like they want. I have to assume the tool is long and to bring it up and over might over travel the machine. I have done things like this over the years and like others mentioned it just some work.