Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

help with a VERY deep pocket

cherokeechief79

we are getting through it but its taking a long tim.weve got 24 of them and each has 2.5 full days of work into them even running overnite.

I have this op in the 5 axis now but even 5 axis doesn't help at this point.

its only a .438 square so drilling the corners isn't even an option because the overlap so much.

we are using Harvey long 1/4 in mills too.

• Like 1

we are getting through it but its taking a long tim.weve got 24 of them and each has 2.5 full days of work into them even running overnite.

I have this op in the 5 axis now but even 5 axis doesn't help at this point.

its only a .438 square so drilling the corners isn't even an option because the overlap so much.

we are using Harvey long 1/4 in mills too.

• 3 months later...

I know this is a couple months old, but next time you might try using the old plunge milling method if you still can't us a WEDM.  With a small stepover you can get a good surface finish with little to no taper; similar to chop grinding on a jig grinder.

1 hour ago, 88Matt said:

I know this is a couple months old, but next time you might try using the old plunge milling method if you still can't us a WEDM.  With a small stepover you can get a good surface finish with little to no taper; similar to chop grinding on a jig grinder.

Matt - I'm assuming you'd neck down the cutter - so it doesn't have much flute in contact to reduce sidewall rub?

17 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Matt - I'm assuming you'd neck down the cutter - so it doesn't have much flute in contact to reduce sidewall rub?

Correct. 

We actually keep endmills on hand already relieved and can run over to the Monoset if not.

• Like 1