Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verisurf CMM Reviews Needed ( unbiased preferred )

Spotterhphc

Hi there,

We are an aerospace shop and we are considering Verisurf for our inspection department metrology equipment. Curious if anyone on here has used it in the past or is currently using it and what do you think of it. Did it truly help the way you were hoping?  We currently have one lead inspector who uses PC-Dmis and if he ever leaves we are screwed. From what I have seen in videos and what i have played with in the free version it is super super intuitive. Plus, it sits in the Mastercam Platform making transitions easier. 

It is a little spendy but if a machine sits for an hour or more at a time waiting on a first article then it won't take long to see returns.

Thanks for the info!

16 hours ago, Spotterhphc said:

Hi there,

We are an aerospace shop and we are considering Verisurf for our inspection department metrology equipment. Curious if anyone on here has used it in the past or is currently using it and what do you think of it. Did it truly help the way you were hoping?  We currently have one lead inspector who uses PC-Dmis and if he ever leaves we are screwed. From what I have seen in videos and what i have played with in the free version it is super super intuitive. Plus, it sits in the Mastercam Platform making transitions easier. 

It is a little spendy but if a machine sits for an hour or more at a time waiting on a first article then it won't take long to see returns.

Thanks for the info!

What kind of other devices are you looking to support? Does you have Portable CMM along with Fixed CMM? I was the Product Manager for the Master3Dgage years ago when I worked for Verisurf so I am a little biased in saying it is a great product and for any shop using Mastercam to me it is a no brainier. MBD and DPD are fully support with the Moldplus add-on if your looking to do D6-51991 Boeing work. Per the Spec 3. Product Acceptance Software (PAS) Validation is already built into the Verisurf product. They have a great staff that will come in and train your people. Don't let you company only train one person have them train no less that three people if they get onsite training. 

Target points to the model is probably one of the easiest things you can do with Verisurf to align your models to the CMM. IF you're company is getting Datum Targets points in the MBD then Verisurf can take that data an import it using the CATIA translator and then create an routine for a lot of features directly from that. The AS9100 form is built in the reporting and making Automate measurements plans is very slick. Sorry I know you said unbiased preferred, but I have no issue telling any customer we work with to purchase Verisurf.

• Like 2

This is great info thanks! It's great to hear from real world people. 

We only have fixed cmm's at this shop but would like to implement new technology when the time is right. Our sister shop has fixed machines and a smart scope for optical measurements. I don't know much about the CMM world but i know enough to see the advantages of great software. We are currently doing D6-51991 work but use other validation software. 

Thanks for the help!

• 9 months later...

I've been using Verisurf for about 2 and a half years now and I've had an extremely stressful time with it. We use it on Romer Arms, AACMM, so it's a totally different beast than running on a fixed CMM from what I understand. To me its an CAI software tagged onto a CAM software and is severely lacking in capabilities from Dedicated CAI software's such as PCDMIS or Polyworks. 

I am currently struggling trying to getting Verisurf to report out the Datum Shift/ Best Fit/ Translations for non fully constrained GD&T Positional Callout. This came up when Boeing was reviewing our report and they questioned how we were reporting out the True Position of some holes and how in their opinion they way it was being reported was NOT D6-51991 MBD/DPD compliant. This is probably operator error to be fair, I am currently working with our distributor on how to go about this. The way that our distributor has told me to do it doesn't come up with values that make sense, and when they ran it up the chain to Verisurf, the method that they came back with I could not even duplicate their results. If anyone here has any input on how Verisurf is able to appropriately check a hole location just to Datum A and provide Datum Shift/ Best Fit/ Translations Please let me know. EX ([POS][.005][A]) and (Composite Position [POS][.030][A][C]-[POS][.015][A])

To get back on topic it's definitely faster and easier to pick up and start making reports with than PCDMIS, but when it comes to capabilities I personally feel that it pales in comparison to other dedicated CAI software such as PCDMIS. For example in PCDMIS I can select two holes, hit "Construct Line", choose what type of  Construction Method or usually leave it on auto, and then hit Construct and Bam I've got a line that starts at Circle1 Center point and end at Circle2 Center point. In Verisurf I have to Create the center points, and then if I select the 2 points and hit construct line it makes a line, seemingly in the middle of nowhere that isn't even the same length as the distance between the two holes. The only way that I've gotten it to work I need to create a report and when I try and Construct a line it actually pops up with a menu that lets me change setting to make the line come out in the correct location.  Again probably Operator error but, I hate the term common sense, But to me this program, Verisurf, is extremely lacking in common sense. 

TLDR, It's a quick and dirty software that you can pick up easily, but I question how well it actually does GD&T/MBD. And it just feels like too many Hoops to Jump through to do things that in my opinion should not need 3 different menus to work.

I know you were not asking about training but I would highly suggest budgeting in training costs as well for all of the products you are quoting. The reason I mention this is sometimes I have seen the mentality of  "ill learn it on my own"  from companies buying something new and learning from experienced professionals rather than your team stumbling through it yourself will make a world of difference and verisurf is certainly user friendly from my experience but when I attended verisurf training I learned a ton and cant imagine how much longer it would have taken me go get familiar with verisurf without the training. I have only used verisurf and no other metrology software so I really cant help with comparing it to other systems but can tell you that if you are a mastercam user you likely have little trouble learning/using verisurf.