Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PLANE/TOOL ORIENTAION IN C-AXIS PROGRAMMING

I'm programming for a Mori Seiki SL-25Y. Im milling a big chunk out of a 304 SS tube. I've already completed the milling operation with an end mill. Now I want to chamfer my milled edges with a 45 deg chamfer mill and mastercam keeps flipping my tool or my part orientation upside down?! Im using the same plane as I did for the end mill ( Cross Upper Left [Top] ) and my part is oriented the same and I'm using the same tool path ( C axis Cross Contour)

Hopefully someone out there has more experience with this than me cuz i am stuck. lol 

13 minutes ago, MachineMuch? said:

I'm programming for a Mori Seiki SL-25Y. Im milling a big chunk out of a 304 SS tube. I've already completed the milling operation with an end mill. Now I want to chamfer my milled edges with a 45 deg chamfer mill and mastercam keeps flipping my tool or my part orientation upside down?! Im using the same plane as I did for the end mill ( Cross Upper Left [Top] ) and my part is oriented the same and I'm using the same tool path ( C axis Cross Contour)

Hopefully someone out there has more experience with this than me cuz i am stuck. lol 

Should be able to just call the Right Plane is facing the check. If facing the center line along the X axis then should be able to call TOP, FRONT, BACK or BOTTOM.

• Huh? 1

the right plane facing the check? i dont know what that means lol im sorry man. Im using my Top Plane as my WCS and Cross Upper Left [Top] Plane as my Tool Plane and Construction Plane. Same as i am in my milling toolpath which works fine. But for this chamfering tool path it doesnt wanna work right.

6 minutes ago, MachineMuch? said:

the right plane facing the check? i dont know what that means lol im sorry man. Im using my Top Plane as my WCS and Cross Upper Left [Top] Plane as my Tool Plane and Construction Plane. Same as i am in my milling toolpath which works fine. But for this chamfering tool path it doesnt wanna work right.

You need some training on the planes and process. Are you MT or Lathe with Mill?

AGREED! Lathe with Mill

Ive just been figuring it out as I go from past mastercam files of the company im with but even looking back at them my planes are all matching up like they had them for the very same type of operations. I wonder if it has something to do with my model's orientation to my plane. But it shouldn't right cz that C Axis has 360 degrees of travel.

I dont know man. If you dont think you can walk me thru it no worries ill figure it out eventually.

thanks! 

55 minutes ago, MachineMuch? said:

AGREED! Lathe with Mill

Ive just been figuring it out as I go from past mastercam files of the company im with but even looking back at them my planes are all matching up like they had them for the very same type of operations. I wonder if it has something to do with my model's orientation to my plane. But it shouldn't right cz that C Axis has 360 degrees of travel.

I dont know man. If you dont think you can walk me thru it no worries ill figure it out eventually.

thanks! 

Can you share the file if not email me and I will be glad to see what I can do if I can confirm you a legal user of the software. I personally paid for my seat and how I feed my family so if your not a legal user the help stops here.

I am a legal user sir. Just not a personal owner like yourself. Im using it in a shop. How should I go about proving my legality? You want my hasp number?

I think I may be able to send you a file too so you can look at exactly what im dealing with. But im heading home for the evening so that'll be a tomorrow project. 

Hopefully you'll be around!

9 minutes ago, MachineMuch? said:

I am a legal user sir. Just not a personal owner like yourself. Im using it in a shop. How should I go about proving my legality? You want my hasp number?

I think I may be able to send you a file too so you can look at exactly what im dealing with. But im heading home for the evening so that'll be a tomorrow project. 

Hopefully you'll be around!

No problem yes email me the file and your hasp number and I will be glad to try to help you over come your issue.

• Like 1