Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating a new Machine in Simulation

Hi All,

I am creating a new machine in the Machine Simulation, We bought the CAD for our new 5 axis which showed up as STP files. Using PTC Creo I have created a common coordinate system for all the individual components/subassemblies and saved the STL files for each using that coordinate system. When I bring in the base  as the first piece of geometry while creating a new machine in simulation it comes in wrong. The original coordinate system from the STP file which has Y pointing up and is under the machine is still driving the model. When I open the exact same file in Mastercam the STL loads and shows only 1 WCS and it is where I chose it to go at the intersection of B & C. Pics below of the same STL file loaded in both. What is going on and how do I fix this? I have tried to save the file as a STP out of Creo and then open that in Mcam and save out of Mcam as a STL and gotten the same result. Even though in Mcam the file shows only 1 wcs, when saved out as an STL, when opened in Simulator, it is as the pic below shows with the coord sys below the base and Y is up.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Doug

1st image is base.STL loaded into MCam2020

STLintoMcam.JPG.43030c11463ee2af5f71a5aadacb5579.JPG

Below is also base.STL but loaded into Machine Simulation

STLintoMsim.JPG.d0e930b414a6134b27748c12c7734e10.JPG

I found it much easier to start with an existing machsim file that was oriented in the same way...

Replacing the components and updating the xml file...

Starting from scratch was a huge headache that I gave up on...and you'll have an easier time starting with your stl files in mm instead of inches 

Grab a copy of the Moduleworks tutorial inned in a topic in the main forum...it'll help

I have a copy and continue to go thru the Moduleworks info looking for guidance. I have not found any yet. I've watched several yt vids and not one has helped with this orientation issue. Learned a few things that I will need later, but can't get past step one if Y is up.... And yes the CAD I am using is metric.

I also tried to start with an existing 5axis sim. When I add any of my components that way they do not come placed or oriented correctly. I have tried several different save as / file convert sequences and still end up at the same place.

Save the rotate the machine to correct orientation in Mastercam to the  WCS with the XYZ to the center of the table. then bring them into  the machine sim. if not you will have to start with a add coord. Transform as the first thing in your machine to allow you to correct the orentation.

image.png.6043d6cf6fbf05fc11351417b35ba227.png

I recommend starting with something like the image below in Mastercam

image.thumb.png.fcf1920053e2fa4738c35560aa90f038.png

• Like 1