Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tiny Slots

I'm milling a part out of 6061 and have to make a series of "fins" at .06" wide, almost 1" deep, and .24" apart. I tried running a .125" EM through it at .025" DOC, but the chatter was so bad it ended up snapping the endmill. 

Anyone have a work around for this, or a better method?

are the slots 0.240" center to center or 0.240 between faces? If between faces use a bigger EM than 1/8". something like 3/16, 5mm, 5.5mm or even 6mm. and ramp down right in center then clean up pass using thin wall option. 

I am assuming you cant use a slitting saw. If you can stand the part up and use a saw I would do that all day long. that's what slitting saw are for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 10:13 PM, Eric@HorsepowerInc. said:

Ramp z axis Zigzag all day long and be done with it.  1-3 deg pending on spindle speed available.

We do a ton of smaller stuff here. Ramp usually works the best. A few  jobs I do are with a 1/16 or 1/32 endmills at 10x diam. no problem.