Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chain Similar

FTI2007

20 minutes ago, FTI2007 said:

How does the chain similar work?   I cannot seem to get it to work for me.  So I am assuming I am doing something in the wrong order. Do you pick the chain first and then the chain similar button? 

Thanks

From help:

Chain Similar Options

Use the Chain Similar Options dialog box to set values for a number of choices that affect how you match chain features. The criteria set will allow Mastercam to automatically add similar chains to the Chain Manager when the Chain Similar button is selected.

NOTE

You can set the defaults for this dialog box through the Chain Similar property page in the System Configuration dialog box.

Identical

Select to look for chains that are exact geometric matches. The chains must contain the same number of entities with the same measurements. Rotation of the chain within the view is not a factor for this evaluation.

Shape match

Select to look for chains that are similar in shape. The chains selected will have the same features and arrangement of features but differ by size. Rotation of the chain within the view is not a factor for this evaluation.

Shape perimeter filter

Evaluates the length of the chain perimeter to provide an additional selection filter. Use the drop-down list to select the filtering option. Setting the filter to All functions the same as having the filter off.

Scaled shapes

Limits the chain selection to those that are scaled versions of the original. The chains must contain the same number of entities in the same proportions. Circles of different diameters will always be selected as a scaled shape. Rotation of the chain within the view is not a factor for this evaluation.

Recognize mirrored shapes

Recognizes mirrored chains in Mastercam's wireframe feature recognition function. When checked, all mirrored chains are selected. When deselected, mirrored chains are ignored.

Attribute matching

Attribute Matching allows you to fine tune the selection of chains. Select the attributes to use in selection and Chain Similar will select only those chains with the selected attributes.

Color

Restricts the chains that will be selected based on color. Click Select color to choose a color. Choosing a color will disable selection of entities of any other color.

Level

Restricts the chains that will be selected based on level. Click Select level to choose a level, or type it in the level box. Choosing a level will disable selection of entities of any other level.

Style

Restricts the chains that will be selected based on line style. Select a line style from the pulldown list. Choosing a line style will disable selection of entities of any other line style.

Width

Restricts the chains that will be selected based on line width. Select a line width from the pulldown list. Choosing a line width will disable selection of entities of any other line width.

View

Restricts the arcs that will be selected based on the view of the first arc encountered in the chain selection. Setting this option will eliminate any arcs that do not match the first arc encountered. This will also eliminate chains that contain arcs that do not match the view.

Same as

Returns you to the graphics window to select a piece of geometry. All attribute fields will be set from the selection even if an attribute field has not been activated.

Save

Saves the set options in the Chain Similar Options dialog box to a file with a .chain extension. All options will be saved as they are currently set in the dialog box. The file can be named and saved to a location of your choosing.

Load

Loads a previously saved .chain file. The stored options in the file are loaded into the current dialog box.

I Did use the help topic before posting here. What I didnt realize is when  I created a silhouette boundary to simplify the geometry  I got some arcs and some splines which is why it was not working for me.  When I just used the original data I got it to work.    

Thanks

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FTI2007 said:

I Did use the help topic before posting here. What I didnt realize is when  I created a silhouette boundary to simplify the geometry  I got some arcs and some splines which is why it was not working for me.  When I just used the original data I got it to work.    

Thanks

I want you to go to the black board and rewrite those instructions 500 times.

• Huh? 1