Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HORIZONTAL TOMBSTONE PROBLEM

HELLO FOLKS, 

I'VE GOT A PROBLEM THAT WE CAN'T SEEM TO COME TO AN CONCLUSION OR FIX ON. I HAVE A PROGRAM FOR A PART TO RUN ON OUR MAZAK H-400 ON A TOMBSTONE. THE PART INCLUDES AN 8 DEGREE ANGLED POCKET ON BOTH SIDES. THE PROGRAM RUNS PERFECT UNTIL THE B 8 DEGREE INDEX, AT THAT POINT THE TOOL PATH MOVES OUTSIDE OF THE PART INSTEAD OF WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO. EVERYTHING IS PROGRAMMED FROM CENTER OF ROTATION ON THE PALLET. THE Y LOCATION LOOKS CORRECT BUT THE X POSITION IS POSITIVE OF WHERE IT NEED TO BE. I'VE BEAT MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL FOR 3 DAYS TRYING TO FIGURE THE PROBLEM OUT AND HAVE WORE THE PHONE LINE OUT AT QTE. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE...

I'm thinking it's either a post or origin pickup issue...

As the file doesn't have to post attached, by the given name of the machine def I "assumed" it was a base MPMaster...so I replaced with that and posted it...

Based on that posting, the origin of that feature at the bore center and that starting point is to the left(X- direction) looks proper..

N5800 S6112 M03
N5805 G00 G90 G55 B-8. X-.344 Y-.447
N5810 G43 H3 Z.7752
N5815 Z.7252
N5820 G01 Z.6252 F50.
N5825 G02 X.104 Y.447 Z.5429 I.224 J.447 F73.34
N5830 X-.344 Y-.447 Z.4606 I-.224 J-.447
N5835 X.104 Y.447 Z.3783 I.224 J.447
N5840 X-.344 Y-.447 Z.296 I-.224 J-.447
N5845 X.104 Y.447 Z.2137 I.224 J.447
N5850 X-.344 Y-.447 Z.1313 I-.224 J-.447
N5855 X.104 Y.447 Z.049 I.224 J.447
N5860 X.38 Y0. Z.02 I-.224 J-.447
N5865 G01 X-.095
N5870 G03 X.095 I.095 J0.
N5875 X-.095 I-.095 J0.
N5880 X-.0325 I.0312 J0.
N5885 X-.22 I-.0938 J0.
N5890 X.22 I.22 J0.
N5895 X-.22 I-.22 J0.
N5900 X-.095 I.0625 J0.
N5905 X-.47 I-.1875 J0.
N5910 X.47 I.47 J0.
N5915 X-.47 I-.47 J0.
N5920 X-.345 I.0625 J0.
N5925 X-.72 I-.1875 J0.
N5930 X.72 I.72 J0.
N5935 X-.72 I-.72 J0.
N5940 G01 Z.22 F6.42
N5945 G00 Z.27
N5950 Z.7252
N5955 X-.27 Y-.5
N5960 G01 Z.02 F50.
N5965 X.23 F73.34
N5970 G03 X.73 Y0. I0. J.5
N5975 X-.73 I-.73 J0.
N5980 X.73 I.73 J0.
N5985 X.23 Y.5 I-.5 J0.
N5990 G01 X-.27
N5995 Z.22 F6.42
N6000 G00 Z.7752
N6005 X-.5 Y.125 Z2.
N6010 Z.25
N6015 G01 X-.625 F73.34
N6020 G03 X-.75 Y0. Z0. I0. J-.125
N6025 X.75 I.75 J0.
N6030 X-.75 I-.75 J0.
N6035 X-.7483 Y-.05 I.75 J0.
N6040 X-.6153 Y-.1664 Z.25 I.1247 J.0084
N6045 G01 X-.4906 Y-.158
N6050 G00 Z2.

If you are programming from the center of the machine then your Degree WCS must have the same origin as the COR. If your machine has G68.2 then your post might not be configured correctly to put the code and position correctly in the G68.2 line. Simple fix is to move the Degree WCS to the Machine WCS and try that.

BTW all CAPS is considered rude and yelling on Internet Forums.

You have it working at B0 because you setting your G54 at that position to run the part at B0. You do have another options and that is to use a mapping macro in the machine that maps your B0 position to your B8 degree position. In all reality your Origin WCS should also be at the same position as your Machine WCS and you will have to deal with the fact the Z values are of the distance from the Machine WCS to the Part.

One other thing is the Automatic crash Mastercam is going to give you by not setting your workoffset in the planes manager. Years ago CNC software introduced the Automatic crash your machine Workoffets to planes. Doing simple work you will not see it. Most post builder added forces and switches to prevent people from tearing up their machines. I like having different work offsets for doing different things and I always teach everyone to use the planes manager and set their workoffset in there.

2 Other things that I teach programmers is to define their holders and to name their operations. A programmer who doesn't define their holders or their Operations is not providing the best in class methods for anyone running their programs or themselves. I don't care how good a memory you got I promise you come back to this in 6 months you will take some time remembering what every operation does and is doing. By defining the holders you take the guess work out of the setup process also.

Nice work naming your levels and your process is done good also. I like to name my machine group my part number just one of my habits. Might think about making a template file with your levels and other thing named so when you import your parts in less work in the long run.

Thank you for sharing the file good to see some sweat equity put into someone's work asking for help. Have a good day.

11 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

You have it working at B0 because you setting your G54 at that position to run the part at B0. You do have another options and that is to use a mapping macro in the machine that maps your B0 position to your B8 degree position. In all reality your Origin WCS should also be at the same position as your Machine WCS and you will have to deal with the fact the Z values are of the distance from the Machine WCS to the Part.

It's a different way of working Ron...I won't debate the better/worse aspects of it...at times a programmer's hand is  limited by other people...that said..his method will work...he just needs to set his 2nd origin to a place that can be successfully picked up and data entered...tooling balls are extremely helpful for just these kinds of pickups...

As I use a base pattern for almost all of our tombstones, I have gotten to a point where everyone of them gets a tooling ball location as a base mounting pattern. Any difficult to pick up positions are referenced to the the tooling...

We have found that with the post calculating all origins and using hard fixtures as 5th axis, the offsets are generally within a .001"

6MbbHiO.png

• Like 1

He reached is posting limit for the day and cannot answer us till tomorrow. I agree can be done, but with what I have for the Mastercam file and without knowing a lot more information was just trying to throw something out to get him running like it is setup in Mastercam. Just tying to help him understand why it was not working like he thought it should. We can see if because we have been doing this for a day or two, but for those just getting into this type of work it helps when someone points out things to educate and teach.

• Like 1

It is a weird one with MMD. I had to bring it into Vericut to finally figure it out. For whatever reason it was swapping the B rotation with MPMaster or any Generic HMC. Once I went in the code and changed it manually it went through Vericut with flying colors. I am thinking they will have to get a custom post to use the machine they way they want, but problem has a solution.

Well for starters I'm sorry about the all caps thing yesterday, my bad.... Now to the good part, I can't thank Ron enough for taking time out of his busy day to help a random stranger. Without his help I'd still be sitting here smashing my head against my desk. Honestly I'm worse then a little kid in a candy store at this point. I come to work early and stay late everyday as my passion for this stuff overwhelms me to a point I can't express. I didn't actually think I would get any sort of reply out of my post being that my status on here is Newbie but man was I mistaken... You guys are great and have some helpful suggestions, all I can strive for is to be my best and some day be able to help others that are starting with the newbie title like I am. Thanks to everyone who took time to help me out. I won't abuse the forum by bombarding with 50 questions everyday (I can't because I can only post 2 times a day) but my anxiety level for fear of being made fun of for asking a stupid question has been dang near erased. Hope everyone has a great week and is staying safe..

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, fascomw said:

Now to the good part, I can't thank Ron enough for taking time out of his busy day to help a random stranger. Without his help I'd still be sitting here smashing my head against my desk.

+infinity. Ron is so generous and always willing to help!

You have one of the best if not the best in the industry helping you. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fascomw said:

Well for starters I'm sorry about the all caps thing yesterday, my bad.... Now to the good part, I can't thank Ron enough for taking time out of his busy day to help a random stranger. Without his help I'd still be sitting here smashing my head against my desk. Honestly I'm worse then a little kid in a candy store at this point. I come to work early and stay late everyday as my passion for this stuff overwhelms me to a point I can't express. I didn't actually think I would get any sort of reply out of my post being that my status on here is Newbie but man was I mistaken... You guys are great and have some helpful suggestions, all I can strive for is to be my best and some day be able to help others that are starting with the newbie title like I am. Thanks to everyone who took time to help me out. I won't abuse the forum by bombarding with 50 questions everyday (I can't because I can only post 2 times a day) but my anxiety level for fear of being made fun of for asking a stupid question has been dang near erased. Hope everyone has a great week and is staying safe..

Not a problem and glad to give back. I was in the Hospital years ago in a Coma for 6 days having aspirated on my own bile due to a blockage of my intestines. I was not given much of a chance to pull through. Money was sent from people from this forum to help take care of me and my family and to this day I still have no idea all of those that helped. Glad to give back and pass it what was done for me.

Once you get past a certain point of post you can post a 100 a day if you want. I always told anyone that has ever worked for me the dumbest questions are the ones not asked. I have 30+ years experience doing this and that is what gives me the ability to answer the questions I can answer. On paper I am not considered all that educated, but I have been blessed to work and do what I do. Your work was excellently done and your progressing along very well for someone who hasn't been doing it very long. In no time you will be posting up answers and helping. Please ask for help if you get stuck we need to help each other and make Manufacturing shine as I have always felt we are under appreciated and under rated for what we do to help the World tick.

2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

+infinity. Ron is so generous and always willing to help!

You have one of the best if not the best in the industry helping you. 

John thanks for the kind words not worthy of them. He needed help and was stuck and to be honest it stumped me until I ran it through Vericut. Only then I was able to see the problem. This is where not being able to see the G-code in the real world was the issue. Since it was so close to being correct was hard to see it even though it in all reality the answer was there. Interesting challenge and learned something so all good in my book.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1