Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming male thread

HEAVY METAL

Looking at the images my surface finish is nice on the front side of the form but  on the backside its is rough . I'm using a 4th axis  to mill this thread . I have tried the rotary tool path and morph  path set to 4 axis but with the same result no matter what the step over . Does anyone  know what might be giving me the choppy finish on the back side.  I have a image of the tool path attached and you can see that it does not craw down smoothly on the back side of the form .

Happy Friday 

Hope everyone is staying healthy

251206.tif

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

16 hours ago, HEAVY METAL said:

Ron

I played around today with both those paths . I have a crack at it again Monday . 

You have my email you get stuck I will be glad to take a look. Can you swarf the walls with a bull or taper bull Endmill? I have had to mill 12” diameter threads before on a 4 Axis and had a tapered bull endmill made to the Angle and it worked like a champ. Advent makes custom shapes for these kind of things. Whenever possible I like to full flute cut shapes like this verses surface machine them. Might could even make a double angle cutter that would allow you to cut both sides since your going out into open space at the end of the thread. I will model something up later today and show you what I am thinking. 

• Like 1

Hi Ron

I got some tapered end mills (harvey tool)  that I think will work . One thread 10 deg looks good the other won't stay down . Not sure why on is giving me problems  they ate both the same thread spec . If you look close you can see the toolpath on the screenshot. One thread looks like it is blending well and the one is up off the bottom  . I'm running 2019 

Do you have any idea how to force that down to the bottom of the radius . I have surfaced machined  the 4 ends of the thread  before and it has worked good. 0 and 180 index to complete . My other question is blending the form on the tops of the threads . What was your idea on that.

When you get some let me know what you think .

Thanks 

251206.png

Will need to make a dummy fillet to allow it to drag off. The problem is the transition from the one to the other is creating a slight deviation from what you think you have and what you really have. I will make up my own surfaces and drive it that way and see if it helps. If not then change the toolpath and drive it from curve on the bottom and then cheat the placement of the tool and should work out. Other option is to use swarf with 2 chains and do a 4 axis output.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, HEAVY METAL said:

Ron ,

You cant see it but it has  is two thread segments . Both identical .  So I was wondering why one toolpath looks good and the other doesn't. So if I understand you right

there is a  slight deviation between the surfaces ? 

Yes ever so slight. Where you have to eliminate the variability of the process by creating what you need to make it happen.

Can you transform rotate the good into the location of the one giving you a fit?

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Ron,

I was able to machine the backside of the 2 threads with the mult axis flow tool path and that cleaned up that choppy looking back side with .02 dia ball endmill. Then a little

polishing .

Thanks the help . I have been in and out of the shop with this pandemic slowing things up and the chiller went out on my mill also  . Murphy's Law  lol 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HEAVY METAL said:

Good Morning Ron,

I was able to machine the backside of the 2 threads with the mult axis flow tool path and that cleaned up that choppy looking back side with .02 dia ball endmill. Then a little

polishing .

Thanks the help . I have been in and out of the shop with this pandemic slowing things up and the chiller went out on my mill also  . Murphy's Law  lol 

Do what you go to do to get it done. Thanks and hopefully next time around it will be easier.