Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Video card real talk

Maui Machinist

Here is a question for the forum...

I am currently using Mastercam X7 for programming; using a USB HASP. So I use a couple of different computers and move the HASP with me as I go. One at the shop I cut molds for, my laptop and my home desktop...which is where my question comes in. 

Home Desktop is a Dell Inspirion 3650 with Intel i5-6400 at 2/7Ghz, 12Gb Ram, and onboard Intel video card. 

And Mastercam X7 runs just fine to do what I need it to do, no Quadro, Fire Pro, Raedon, etc. Sure some of the surfaces take 35 seconds to render when switching to 'shaded mode'. 

I see that Mastercam 2020 system requirements are "No Onboard Video", so will it run on a video card with 2Gb v-ram? I don't need it to open complex engine assemblies or anything. Mostly working with files that are organic shaped surfaces (Think waterskis, surf boards, and stand up paddleboards.) 

I get that on a daily use machine processing lots of large parts and assemblies you want a beast driving that machine (Laptop has Xeon Processor and Quadro P5000 16Gb), but I am currently having to send the laptop into the shop to be fixed...the high end video card stopped working. :P And would like to be able to program at home without upgrading the whole machine. 

I've found a few entry level cards on NewEgg and Amazon. 2Gb for $75-100, 4Gb for around $175...

Any constructive thoughts other than "You should get a $600 video card to run the software." Sure, yes, I get that this is the best answer. I don't need a race car at home. I need a VW Bug I can take for a slow Sunday drive...I just need it to drive. 

Thank you, 

Maui Machinist Guy

• Like 1

For most applications you should get good results from a medium to high end GeForce, more demanding applications will require a medium to high end Quadro.  Mastercam historically has not played well with AMD video cards.  CPU performance per thread is the biggest factor (Xeons often sacrifice that for thread count), and make sure you have plenty of fast RAM.

The amount of video memory you'll need depends on how many pixels you want it to drive.  For four 4k screens you'll need a lot more than for two 2k screens.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
On 4/26/2020 at 8:59 PM, Maui Machinist said:

I've found a few entry level cards on NewEgg and Amazon. 2Gb for $75-100, 4Gb for around $175...

Any constructive thoughts

For the work you're doing it sounds like this card would be perfect. $150 on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-ti-gaming-x-4g/p/N82E16814137054?Description=gtx1050&cm_re=gtx1050-_-14-137-054-_-Product&quicklink=true

I just ordered all of the components to build 2 new computers for my brother in law and his sister. If you're not into the computer scene, right now prices are a little inflated, and they keep going up. This is due to the current pandemic, manufacturers are unable to make more products and items are rapidly going out of stock. 

However, Intel just announced their 10th gen processors yesterday, they are supposed to come out this month. This gives us all something to be excited about. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

For a single monitor and 1920 x 1080 resolution it has to work fine, I don't think that there is any programming app which can create difficulties for this graphic card. If you don't have it, and want to save some money, you can see in this article how to use onboard graphics and video card at the same time, this will save you from buying a new graphic card and waste 600$ in vain, especially if you don't need it for anything else except of programming.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:25 PM, Maui Machinist said:

Clicked the link and signed in...it says $200 on Newegg. Maybe prices vary?

Try changing ip addresses, sometimes companies raise the price on an individual basis, like when u book a plane ticket online. 

"It was 600$ the last time i checked 10 minutes ago!"

46 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Try changing ip addresses, sometimes companies raise the price on an individual basis, like when u book a plane ticket online. 

"It was 600$ the last time i checked 10 minutes ago!"

I think they are looking at American pricing. For individuals like you and I we are fortunate enough to get Canadian gouging factored in.

7 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

I think they are looking at American pricing. For individuals like you and I we are fortunate enough to get Canadian gouging factored in.

🙄

So fortunate....