Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC to Old Machine using New Computer

Reko

Hi,

Our old computer stopped working... it has the old school db8 serial port... that we used to DNC large programs to older machines without enough memory to hold the programs.

Because new computers only have USB ports and no serial ports, I picked up a USB to serial cord... installed the software drivers... and it works for send and receive... but NOT DNC.

I've read a few forums that say this USB to serial cord can not DNC, I do not know why or what the difference is..., seems like if send and receive work, DNC would also... but it doesn't.

Question...

What is the best set up to DNC these days?

Our DNC computer still has a serial port so we haven't run into this yet.  You can get PCI to serial port add on cards.  I'd probably try one or two and see if that works.  There might be issues getting some to work.  Years ago I had trouble with a PCI to parallel card not working with Surfcams hardware key.  Changed to a different brand and it worked.