Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary axis order

Is there a way to force Mastercam to tilt the B axis instead of rotating the C axis? We have a 5 axis head/head router and we do a lot of bevel cutting on opposite sides of parts. It's a lot more efficient to have the B move from -45 to 45 versus the C move from 0 to 180, etc. I know I could create different planes or make two seperate toolpaths to accomplish this but I'm hoping there might be an easier solution...using one of the misc's integers maybe? 

45 minutes ago, jjones61 said:

Is there a way to force Mastercam to tilt the B axis instead of rotating the C axis? We have a 5 axis head/head router and we do a lot of bevel cutting on opposite sides of parts. It's a lot more efficient to have the B move from -45 to 45 versus the C move from 0 to 180, etc. I know I could create different planes or make two seperate toolpaths to accomplish this but I'm hoping there might be an easier solution...using one of the misc's integers maybe? 

What post are you using? Purchased or Generic?

1 hour ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

What post are you using? Purchased or Generic?

It's a Postabilty post. I've emailed our reseller but haven't heard anything back. Plus I'm stuck at home right now so I figured this will give me something to work on and maybe I'll even learn a thing or two! :)

1 minute ago, jjones61 said:

It's a Postabilty post. I've emailed our reseller but haven't heard anything back. Plus I'm stuck at home right now so I figured this will give me something to work on and maybe I'll even learn a thing or two! :)

They will have to give you a switch to control it. You can see if they have one, but most of the Postability Posts don't have this options and it would need to be requested from them to give this level of control. Can you throw together an example and share it so see exactly what your trying to accomplish?

27 minutes ago, jjones61 said:

You can certainly reach out to me using the contact email on our website if you've like us to offer suggestions on your issue.  I don't often stop by here, but happened to see your post today.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

They will have to give you a switch to control it. You can see if they have one, but most of the Postability Posts don't have this options and it would need to be requested from them to give this level of control. Can you throw together an example and share it so see exactly what your trying to accomplish?

Thanks 5th!

I'm about to take Dave up on his offer, but just in case anyone else is bored I've attached a drawing of a typical part we machine. We use a step drill to drill all those yellow counterbores and then a regular spiral router bit to miter the front and back edges, then come back in with a saw blade to seperate it into 4 parts.  Nothing fancy but we run enough stuff like this to keep 2 dual table 5 axis machines running 8-9 hrs a day. 

18 hours ago, Dave Thomson from Postability said:

You can certainly reach out to me using the contact email on our website if you've like us to offer suggestions on your issue.  I don't often stop by here, but happened to see your post today.

Dave,

Thanks, I will shoot you an email in a minute.

Sample.GIF