Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2020 Constantly shuts off without warning.

Soo, I like my mastercam 2020 very much, but it keeps closing itself!!!

Any ideas would help, I can't in good conscience approve this software for the company until I fix this issue!!

I don't have any of the updates so let me know if this was a bug in the first release.

2 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I am running the latest updates and will have to shut it down on large file from time to time to keep it stable.

Yup..I can pretty much guess when I need to do so based on how my day has gone...

When it starts hogging 9-10 gigs of memory....a crash isn't too far behind...

Other than that though it's been quite stable

3 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Make sure the program files folder for Mastercam has full rights for the user account. I am running the latest updates and will have to shut it down on large file from time to time to keep it stable.

I do have RW access for the program files folder.

Just now, JParis said:

Yup..I can pretty much guess when I need to do so based on how my day has gone...

When it starts hogging 9-10 gigs of memory....a crash isn't too far behind...

Other than that though it's been quite stable

I didn't have this issue with Mastercam 2018

1 minute ago, byte said:

I didn't have this issue with Mastercam 2018

You're using Mastercam I think in a different way than most are doing...I'm guessing you're in and out of calling scripts & chooks all day...

It's possible that something in that part of the interface is hiccuping...

Also why is there no crash notification...

Just now, JParis said:

You're using Mastercam I think in a different way than most are doing...I'm guessing you're in and out of calling scripts & chooks all day...

It's possible that something in that part of the interface is hiccuping…

Maybe, but I run the same chooks and scripts on both platforms.

1 minute ago, byte said:

Also why is there no crash notification...

Maybe, but I run the same chooks and scripts on both platforms.

As a writer of software I am guessing you know that things change internally from version to version...

I have long believed Mastercam suffers from a fairly substantial memory leak....it's again possible this only get exacerbated in this version because of internal software changes

• Like 1
Just now, JParis said:

As a writer of software I am guessing you know that things change internally from version to version...

I have long believed Mastercam suffers from a fairly substantial memory leak....it's again possible this only get exacerbated in this version because of internal software changes

Yeah, there is data being stored in the database that shouldn't be there, if you run a database search and do not check the alive bit you can access geometry from parts in mcx files that you opened hours before. Those definetly should not be there..

As far as I know the only difference was one or two functions being renamed, the tool manager being deprecated and we switched from multibyte characterset to UNICODE.

Just now, JParis said:

I would try to get all the updates...no guarantees but things do get addressed along the way...

I will try, they were Supposed to be included, I was very clear with IT, oh well...

13 minutes ago, JParis said:

if you are interested thie issue with rogue database entities is covered on page 4 of this post  

"...Yeah, there is data being stored in the database that shouldn't be there, if you run a database search and do not check the alive bit you can access geometry from parts in mcx files that you opened hours before. Those definetly should not be there..."

Entities that still exist but are not 'alive' are still in the database for the purposes of 'undelete'. There is not a separate place where they can be held (maybe someday...)

They will be gone after you save and re-open the file, or if  you run RAMSaver (oops... File/RepairFile) .

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

"...Yeah, there is data being stored in the database that shouldn't be there, if you run a database search and do not check the alive bit you can access geometry from parts in mcx files that you opened hours before. Those definetly should not be there..."

Entities that still exist but are not 'alive' are still in the database for the purposes of 'undelete'. There is not a separate place where they can be held (maybe someday...)

They will be gone after you save and re-open the file, or if  you run RAMSaver (oops... File/RepairFile) .

Thank you for the explanation, that helps..

I crash/auto restart all the time and way to much. I crash/restart on 3 seperate computers pretty consistantly. I run them basic, with basically only mastercam loaded. I do run files stored on a Nas, and have tried to bring the files local. But everything else is pulled from the local c drive. I brought this up many times, and because I have 3 computers that all crash, and apparently everyone elese says they are stable. It was implied it was the way I setup the computers. I wish Mastercam would work on reliability for one round, and fix all the outstanding issues people have been begging for. I would rather have a stable solid platform, than the newsest gidget, that will most likely add to the crashing/rebooting problem. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, medaq said:

I crash/auto restart all the time and way to much. I crash/restart on 3 seperate computers pretty consistantly. I run them basic, with basically only mastercam loaded. I do run files stored on a Nas, and have tried to bring the files local. But everything else is pulled from the local c drive. I brought this up many times, and because I have 3 computers that all crash, and apparently everyone elese says they are stable. It was implied it was the way I setup the computers. I wish Mastercam would work on reliability for one round, and fix all the outstanding issues people have been begging for. I would rather have a stable solid platform, than the newsest gidget, that will most likely add to the crashing/rebooting problem. 

"I have 3 computers that all crash, and apparently everyone else says they are stable.

There were some cases at my company where several users experienced so many bugs they were unable to work, in the end we had it delete their accounts and make new ones, I would probably request an account reset myself just to be safe.

I suspect there is corruption in some critical files or wrong parameters we are not aware of, the only way too root out the problem not knowing the cause is to reset everything specific to you.

Just now, byte said:

"I have 3 computers that all crash, and apparently everyone else says they are stable.

There were some cases at my company where several users experienced so many bugs they were unable to work, in the end we had it delete their accounts and make new ones, I would probably request an account reset myself just to be safe.

I suspect there is corruption in some critical files or wrong parameters we are not aware of, the only way too root out the problem not knowing the cause is to reset everything specific to you.

Not sure what I can do as a customer to have a more stable platform to use mastercam than I already am using and doing. Brand new top of the line computer and components, fresh install, limited programs installed to only work releated files, mostly mastercam and excel. This is as clean as a system can be. 

Thing is I can crash/autorestart for the stupidest things. Mastercam will process a 100 meg 3d files of mine. But make a 2d geomtry fillet and change the radius, and bam crash. I dont think this has anything to do with our computers. This has something to do with Mastercam. Everyone makes comments They have simliar issues. 

6 minutes ago, medaq said:

excel

Maybe excel is the problem, I saw a post by a user about Mc crashing everytime excel opens, I do use it to create setup sheets..

9 minutes ago, medaq said:

fresh install, limited programs installed to only work releated files

Try a new profile doo it!

Just now, byte said:

Maybe excel is the problem, I saw a post by a user about Mc crashing everytime excel opens, I do use it to create setup sheets..

I thought about that also, But I need excel for a lot of things. Hard to remove such a necesary program. 

Just now, medaq said:

I thought about that also, But I need excel for a lot of things. Hard to remove such a necesary program. 

I agree, I mean companies tend to use it for organisation ,schedules ,databases etc and they may be running many vba macros in the background which could be eating up large chunks of memory.

1 minute ago, medaq said:

Just crashed again, by accepting the geometry selected in Surfaces finish. If I had to guess, I feel it has to be something to do with the data base mastercam uses. How as a user can I fix this? 

What does your event logger say?

I crashed like 50 times today so I feel your pain.

I noticed the more often I save the less often I crash. I save before every action now.

Just now, byte said:

What does your event logger say?

I crashed like 50 times today so I feel your pain.

I noticed the more often I save the less often I crash. I save before every action now.

Crash 4/29/2020 15:41:27 McUex: Mastercam raised a unhandled Exception

17 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Make sure the program files folder for Mastercam has full rights for the user account.

Should this be set to read only? It was.

17 hours ago, JParis said:

It's possible that something in that part of the interface is hiccuping...

I made some changes to my nethook event handler, it was doing something on every refresh, which happens veery often.

15 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Or use the limit amount of undo also.