Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool swirls in corners on contour cut

mike561h

I have not seen or had this problem. But my coworkers seat is acting weird.  A simple .02 deep cut on a square internal contour cut with a 1/4 in endmill the endmill swirls in the corners.   I have never put a dimension in the internal corner rounding radius area.  When i put .125 it  did not do it on the graphic run anymore.  He followed with a  3/32 to clean up step to size and it also showed swirls in the corners. He ran the part and it did not swirl in the corners.  So i look at the graphic run on the screen and it was swirling.. So ii put .048 in the   internal corner rounding radius area and it did not swirl in corners.  WEIRD>>> please advise.. Also we are still having problemd with  broken chains when we load a new part we have run before. So we have to go fix the chains. It has to be a bug in MASTERCAM 🤬

4 minutes ago, mike561h said:

. It has to be a bug in MASTERCAM 🤬

I doubt it.

Check  the chaining tolerance on the seat that is swirling and on the seat that is not.

I think you have some chains with gaps between the enities.

Someone got around this by opening up the chaining tolerance.

Now you`re running the files on a seat with the chaining tolerance set at the default, .0001

and the chains are broken

• Like 1

we just tested his seat and sent it to the machine with swirling in corners... We ran it  to cut air no swirling.

But yet it swirls on his graphic run and backplot

The broken chains are a different issue..  The chains are closed for the swirling problem..

The broken chains occur when  part is copied to another level or we bring a part into 2020 from 2017 or 2018

versions.

I analyzed the chain  thorough and had it fix problem areas under .01..  It did show 10 areas.  So i joined the chains to fix bypass the  problem areas and it worked fine.  You are correct. The green horn engineer had some bad geometry.... ... :thumbdown: 

6 hours ago, mike561h said:

Also we are still having problemd with  broken chains when we load a new part we have run before.

If you are importing the operation with geometry or nesting there is always the possibility for sections of the chains to be dropped. To avoid this use the create parametric splines from chains to create a new spline, then assign the chain to the spline.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:24 PM, mike561h said:

It has to be a bug in MASTERCAM 🤬

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:11 PM, mike561h said:

The green horn engineer had some bad geometry.... ... :thumbdown: 

While Mastercam most certainly does have bugs, blaming bugs at the first sign of trouble is usually a bad call

99% of the time when I think I've found a bug, the problem is the idiot sitting between the seat and the keyboard :rolleyes:

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, gcode said:

While, Mastercam most certainly does have bugs, blaming bugs at the first sign of trouble is usually a bad call

99% of the time when I think I've found a bug, the problem is the idiot sitting between the seat and the keyboard :rolleyes:

i get that all the time from one operator,

"something's wrong with your program"

ooook , let's check your tool offsets, your fixture offsets, are you running the correct program, did you even read your set up sheet ?

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, htm01 said:

ooook , let's check your tool offsets, your fixture offsets, are you running the correct program, did you even read your set up sheet ?

My favorite is when someone blames the machine for acting up.

“ I added -.020 to the wear comp and it’s not opening up.”
Then I take a stroll over to the machine and see that he’s been putting the value in Length wear. This has happened twice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gcode said:

While, Mastercam most certainly does have bugs, blaming bugs at the first sign of trouble is usually a bad call

Yep. 

Don't get me wrong, I've found and reported probably over 100 bugs over the years, however, by far more often than not, I am at fault. Bad geometry, not waiting for the software to finish a task, etc..., etc..., etc... ad infinitum. 

Before I scream "bug", I have to be able to repeat the behavior at will. If I can't repeat it, I look in the mirror. Ego prevents most programmers from being able to accept the fact they are in error however. This is what separates the programmers from the good or great programmers.  IMHO.  

:coffee: 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, htm01 said:

The story of my life, one of our operators cut a few grand of panels with the wrong tool, won't admot what he did, even if we all know

25 minutes ago, byte said:

The story of my life, one of our operators cut a few grand of panels with the wrong tool, won't admot what he did, even if we all know

i handed him the tool to use , he decided he had one in the machine already

yeah, with 1" less flute length

3 hours ago, htm01 said:

yeah, with 1" less flute length

very early in my career I was running an Arcoloc doing high speed production on aluminum extrusions.

Most of you are too young to know what an Acroloc is.. but the were very weak machines,

more a high speed drilling and very light duty milling machine.

I replaced a dull 1/2" 2 flute endmill with a new 1/2 4 flute endmill

On first contact, it ripped the tool holder off the end of the spindle.

The tool mowed through the part, through the fixture and blew up when it hit the table,

leaving a large divot in the table.

It was a spectacular crash for a newbie… and the boss was not pleased.

• Haha 2