Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

unlicensed Mastercam question

paulfell

Running Mastercam 2020 in the UK- our maintenance license has just run out - normally all sorted before it expires - software seems to still run fine and posts the same etc.

My question is - should i expect it to not run at all shortly - or can you run the software exactly the same as before - without updates or support etc. ?? - we have a lot of programming coming up - want to know if this needs sorting immediately or shouldn't really affect us in the short term ?

Your software will continue to run MC2020 forever.

I am assuming your maintenance contract expired 4/31/20 which means

any new versions released after that date will not run.

Any version released before that date will run,

If you intend on renewing you should do so immediately.

There are penalties involved in renewing expired maintenance contracts and the longer you wait the more painful they get.

Also MC2021 will be released in June and you will not be able to run it with your current license. 

19 hours ago, lowcountrycamo said:

Sure we get new bugs but with every release my work gets easier and faster.  I just recently discovered that machine sim does not crash after every rotation plane.  That is big for mr

for instance... our drawings are in metric but we still program in inch for the time being. In 2018 I can analyze a distance and choose to view the result in Inch or Metric, in 2020 I can do that plus I can analyze an entity and view the result in Inch or Metric. That's big time saver for me; I don't have to continually multiple by 25.4 on my calculator, have a minor heart attack, correct my dyslexic calculator entry, and calm down again, lol. 

Many moons ago I wrote programs in Pascal, C (yes, C, not c++ yet) and Assembler. I never found writing a working program to be the big issue, the big issue was trying to think of all the things that could go wrong. And, these were tiny programs compared to Mastercam. Hats off to CNC and all the programmers out there.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, rn8849 said:

Many moons ago I wrote programs in Pascal, C (yes, C, not c++ yet) and Assembler. I never found writing a working program to be the big issue, the big issue was trying to think of all the things that could go wrong. And, these were tiny programs compared to Mastercam. Hats off to CNC and all the programmers out there.

If you are familiar with c programming, c++ is much easier to use.

Cnc Software recently created some new templates for making hooks into mastercam that are much easier to use than the old ones.

You could probably benefit a lot from the chook sdk since it is very mature, and contains tools for building posts and doing vector translations, even some automatic toolpathing for the brave..

I may have written one or two posts on the topic.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, cncappsjames said:

Ah, so you use software then? I have yet to run a piece of software that did not have at least one, ummmmm, undocumented feature. 

:coffee:

"Undocumented feature"? Is that a euphemism? LOL. I will start telling our customers that whenever we make bad parts. We could charge them extra for undocumented features. LOL.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, pro grammer said:

Uhuh. You must also be a stranger. You spelled (and used) you're correctly. We'll fix that.

Yeah... that's a good way to put it. Was here since the beginning. Got a 1 day ban and decided to turn it into a 2 year hiatus give or take. 

• Like 1
On 5/11/2020 at 1:12 PM, pro grammer said:

"Undocumented feature"? Is that a euphemism? LOL. I will start telling our customers that whenever we make bad parts. We could charge them extra for undocumented features. LOL.

hmmmmm....so what's your process to allow scrap progs through onto the machine?

I'm asuming you're verifying and checking to model etc...so prog is good... or?

And the classic accident where you machine a complete arc when it shouldn't,  can be a parameter issue on the control?

Just curious