Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C-axis - How to 3D a radius around the OD and face of a cylinder

mayu

In theory, arcs can be created with the X and Z axis on a lathe with live tooling. We should, also in theory, be able to combine this concept with the rotation of the C-axis to generate 3D contours. How can we put a radius around the OD and face of a cylinder using a ball end mill with a live tooling head? On a mill, for example, we can generate a 'scrubbing' type tool path, but Mastercam's C-axis features do not appear to offer such an option.

Ideally, the ball end mill should stay in place while the C-axis rotates 360 degrees. After each pass, the ball end mill steps up (or down) in X and Z until the radius is complete. As the C-axis rotates the Z axis is moving in-and-out.

It appears that 'face contouring' is the only option. It actually generates a toolpath, but there is really no step-over options (scrubbing) as you would find in 3D milling toolpaths. As shown in the photo, I have to take arbitrary guesses with the multi-pass roughing and finishing options. We won't even talk about the cutter-comp yet.

Any thoughts on this? Please let me know how I can improve this post. Thank you.

PS - the cut out on the face makes the part look like an eclipse, but it is not - it's a circle if you look directly at the face.

cylinder-radius-0.jpg

cylinder-radius-1.jpg

cylinder-radius-2.jpg

On 5/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, #Rekd™ said:

Post a Mastercam file if you want to get the best solution to this.

Okay I’ll do that from now on. Thanks.

On 5/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Like so? Review the file and let's see how much you gleem from the work. More than one way to accomplish something in Mastercam.  

image.thumb.png.9c8064af4cdead48c5a6e1511202ddd6.png

image.thumb.png.fe627b62942419d28ebc9fe235681d79.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw3rgajdltezswo/5TH AXIS C MILLING RADIUS.mcam?dl=0

Thank you so much - this is really helpful. I’ll try to post a video of the machining. Take care.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mayu said:

Okay I’ll do that from now on. Thanks.

Thank you so much - this is really helpful. I’ll try to post a video of the machining. Take care.

Feed a man a fish and you feed him for the day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life. Teach others to fish is all I ask.